Options

Is your tablet gathering dust yet ?

BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Daughter and wife both desperately wanted Samsung Galaxy tabs.

Neither now being used, what a waste of money.

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the year 2020 CH4 will maybe broadcast "100 Greatest Fads"

Tablets will come in at no.6

3d TV no.5
  • Options
    Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Probably because a tablet isn't as productive as a laptop or desktop.

For example, could you imagine contributing to this forum without a proper keyboard?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member

Haven't used mine for weeks! Occasionally, I use it for listening to BBC iplayer radio broadcasts in bed but not very often, and that's about it. Waste of space really, but nobody can accuse me of not at least trying to 'get with it'!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Blackberry Playbook is in a drawer gathering dust. Buying that was a mistake.

My 2012 Nexus 7 is used most days. I wouldn't swap it for a laptop or desktop but it's still useful to have, especially when travelling.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess it varies for everybody. In my case the tablet is used every single day. It's the laptop that's more neglected of late. I prefer the desktop for serious work.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mainly use the tablet for browsing while watching tv, like now. I have a paid sub to the DM, i get it delivered every day, and read the paper on the tablet. Half the cost of buying a real paper. I watch netflix occasionally. BBC news. A few other apps. I have bt sport on the tablet,but tend to watch it on tv.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I guess it varies for everybody. In my case the tablet is used every single day. It's the laptop that's more neglected of late. I prefer the desktop for serious work.

Similar. I was working on the laptop, but i sorted out an office environment, and now i am using the desktop for work.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use mine to read comics, have some digital mag subs and a free Daily Mirror sub and find it very good for that and more convenient than keeping piles of comics and mags to read, but I wouldn't have a tablet in place of a laptop or desktop PC.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my Kindle every day.
    Most of the time it's just for browsing and it'd be a waste to fire the laptop up.
    I also read in bed with it.

But if you have a galaxy tab gathering dust i wouldn't mind making you a sensible offer for it.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used my Motorola Xoom everyday for the last three years.
    Think I'd like a more powerful tablet now, but apart from that, I wouldn't be without it.

I'm quite happy to use it for posting on here, but it doesn't play nicely with the posting boxes in some forums for some reason.

Wouldn't be without my desktops either though.
    It's laptops that I don't have much use for.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my Surface 2 daily, videos, games, browsing. After 8 hours working with computer I am happy to just do some consumin'.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I use mine every day. A jolly useful device.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    My Blackberry Playbook is in a drawer gathering dust. Buying that was a mistake.

My 2012 Nexus 7 is used most days. I wouldn't swap it for a laptop or desktop but it's still useful to have, especially when travelling.

I brought my Playbook in 2011 and I still use it every single day, it is one of the most used products I have ever purchased. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Samsung tab 3 8" UK ota Kitkat available now

Bozza
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got myself a Tesco Hudl to see if they were any good.It has now become my
    main email tool,as well as checking the news,weather etc,and storing phone
    numbers and emails of friends and family! I use my PC every day still, but the
    Hudl is checked for mail every hour or so, as I run a small musical venture that
    gets constant traffic by mail!
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use my iPad every day for web browsing, emails, shopping, online banking, watching movies and videos, playing games, reading comics and magazines etc.

And for the person who said that you can't type on forums, I do it all the time with my iPad. In fact I'm typing this on my iPad!

It's not a laptop/desktop replacement but I use my laptop less and less these days. I probably only use my laptop once or twice a month, yet I use my tablet everyday.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to sound weird, but I couldn't type for toffee on an android tablet, but on an ipad, it's a piece of cake. I can type at about 70% at the rate I can on a normal keyboard! and my normal rate is 60 - 80 wpm so not slow.

I don't know if it's just because android tablets are lower quality in the hardware therefore fail to register key presses or register them slightly off, I don't know, but it's true. Or maybe the touch response is just quicker, I don't know. Even more ironic is the fact you can change the keyboard on the droid so in theory you could improve things, but it never does.

I use my tablet at work mainly when it's quiet, it's a nice discrete portable computer for surfing, reading, watching TV etc and playing games at home. Laptops are too big to want to take to work for casual use and the battery life can't hold a candle.

My only wish is that I got a tablet with more storage, but it was my girlfriends old retina mini which I knew to be flawless in operation so I didn't necessarily want to risk getting something bigger that had faults.

Yet when I had my droid tablets, they were usually glitchy or unpolished enough for me to not want to use them. The closest I found to acceptable was the z2 but even that is a distant second best to the ipad for the things that matter to me personally. People always bang on about how you can get more done on a droid, but yet isn't that what the laptop is for?!
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

My playbook is the kids video player of choice. HIgher quality screen and speakers than my 2012 N7, and 64gb storage that means that they have all the star wars, raving rabbids and other random videos that they could ever want to watch ....

For general browsing a tablet is way preferable to a laptop; prior to having one I did think that they were a solution looking for a problem, but their sheer convenience is brilliant. My youngest uses his Hudl for gaming (preferable to a Nintendo DS in his eyes). Oldest uses his for Skype while he plays Minecraft on his laptop.

They aren't even slightly in the same category as 3D TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rarely use my Nexus 7 - much preferring my 9" Nook for on-line TV, surfing, etc, which means it's used most days.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I have a Note 10.1 and use it pretty much every day!
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Wife has a Samsung and I have a Sony, both are used every day for various duties, I also use my laptop every day, wouldn't be without either.
    Dave
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

I changed to a 5 inch display phone and find I can now use that more than a tablet for browsing, in fact on the train into London which i do a lot I don't take a tablet now.

However, if I need to do something a bit more intensive then I will use a tablet or my laptop, especially for typing on. Tablets are just not designed for that, people think of them as a laptop replacement but they're not.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to my wife my IPad is now a fixed human attachment. I'm currently sat in the garden typing this on it.

Have had the iPad 2, 3 and now the 64gb Air. Used all day everyday for everything except banking. Load video and download BBC iPlayer programs for travelling too. Ebay is so much easier on iPad and wife uses her in combination with the Kindle for reading lots of books. Has replaced news papers, magazines sketch pad, camera and more.

MacBook Pro is gathering dust and MacMini is used occasionally. If iPad was lost or broken would have to get immediate replacement. Best piece of tech ever invented.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I changed to a 5 inch display phone and find I can now use that more than a tablet for browsing, in fact on the train into London which i do a lot I don't take a tablet now.

However, if I need to do something a bit more intensive then I will use a tablet or my laptop, especially for typing on. Tablets are just not designed for that, people think of them as a laptop replacement but they're not.

A 5" phone is still a pretty massive compromise over even a small tablet, an 8" tab has about 2.5 - 3x the screen area of a 5 inch phone. Then there's the battery life. Although relatively poor for a phone, the battery life on my nexus 5 is literally nowhere near a decent tablet, which may be a problem in a long trip where you don't have access to a power socket to charge, not to mention it keeps your phone fuller for longer by not needing to be used so much.

I agree they aren't laptop replacements but I'm starting to think my ancient Lenovo is all the laptop I need for the rare occasions I need to do something more than a tablet can manage instead of the expensive ultra book that I have a fair bit of cash tied up in...
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    A 5" phone is still a pretty massive compromise over even a small tablet, an 8" tab has about 2.5 - 3x the screen area of a 5 inch phone. Then there's the battery life. Although relatively poor for a phone, the battery life on my nexus 5 is literally nowhere near a decent tablet, which may be a problem in a long trip where you don't have access to a power socket to charge, not to mention it keeps your phone fuller for longer by not needing to be used so much.

I agree they aren't laptop replacements but I'm starting to think my ancient Lenovo is all the laptop I need for the rare occasions I need to do something more than a tablet can manage instead of the expensive ultra book that I have a fair bit of cash tied up in...

It is but for a large part of the time I can live with it. Putting it next to an old 3.5 inch screen or even a 4 inch screen and I couldn't do it, but now I can get by, but yes for more relaxed viewing and some typing then a tablet is better as I'm using right now.

I've also used my old Playbook to deliver powerpoint presentations rather than lug a laptop around.