Automatically Upload Android Photos to Google Drive

!!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been using Cloudvault uploader to automatically put my photos into Google Drive. I want to do this so the originals will then download onto my laptop. The G+ photo app will upload to albums, but there's no way to easily download back to a computer so I need another solution!,

Cloudvault has been working perfectly for about 2 years, it sits quietly and uploads anything I take a picture of. But it's recently started misbehaving (long hangs, between 20 and 50 copies of each photo uploaded), and the previously excellent developer is bouncing emails back from their account.

Does anyone know of another solution? Should be simple, but I can't find one! Just want silent, daily, automatic uploads of photos to Google Drive.

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    I've been using Cloudvault uploader to automatically put my photos into Google Drive. I want to do this so the originals will then download onto my laptop. The G+ photo app will upload to albums, but there's no way to easily download back to a computer so I need another solution!,

Cloudvault has been working perfectly for about 2 years, it sits quietly and uploads anything I take a picture of. But it's recently started misbehaving (long hangs, between 20 and 50 copies of each photo uploaded), and the previously excellent developer is bouncing emails back from their account.

Does anyone know of another solution? Should be simple, but I can't find one! Just want silent, daily, automatic uploads of photos to Google Drive.

I use Dropbox to auto upload photos to. they then also download to a 'Dropbox Drive' on my PC. Its free too.

(doesnt need to be daily - you can set it to upload as soon as you are on wifi or even just set it to backup each photo instantly)
  • Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Avast Backup and Restore.

Free version backs up a few things but you can just choose individual items.

Backs up to Google Drive
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to use Dropbox simply because I don't want to faff around with two sync accounts.

I'll have a look at Avast, thanks.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    I don't want to use Dropbox simply because I don't want to faff around with two sync accounts.

I'll have a look at Avast, thanks.

Fair enough. Once Dropbox is set up there is no 'faffing around' as it just works in the background and they appear on your PC with no effort.

I shall endeavour to use the verb 'faff' much more over the coming days though :D
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wish Dropbox would allow you to customise things a bit more than it does.

One feature I'd like is a short delay, so that if I take a photo that is crap it won't upload immediately. On a good 4G or Wi-Fi connection, it's uploaded in a matter of seconds - quicker than you can delete the photo. That means having to go and edit your camera uploads folder later on, which is a small but still valid niggle.

On my Z2, when it starts uploading photos and video, it can also cause the phone to run quite hot. I am not sure why, as other use of mobile data doesn't cause it - so perhaps it can also pause if the phone is getting warm or there's a lot of CPU usage elsewhere (or basically upload only when idle, perhaps in standby).

Another nice feature, for more powerful devices, might be to compress pictures and videos if you want to save storage space.

None of these things are essential, but it would make it better.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The photobucket app works well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a look at Avast, but I didn't want to go premium with it and without it I couldn't upload video clips.

I've got for Drive Autosync which seems to be working pretty well.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My photos are automatically uploaded to google plus.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And mine... That's the beauty of Android!

:) Mark
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP mentioned this, in fairness, but ruled it out on account of it not being automatic to download photos back onto a PC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP mentioned this, in fairness, but ruled it out on account of it not being automatic to download photos back onto a PC.

This exactly, although I do have Google+ backup working as a fail-safe. I have a server with all my photos at home so I can do stuff with them. Prints, albums, share them, look at the them, whatever. I also want any photos from my phone to be stored alongside those from my cameras too. As a last consideration, in the event of my untimely death my Google+ account will be pretty inaccessible but my server won't! For history's sake we should have our pictures out in the open for family and friends...

Also, I have way to many photos all-in to only use Google for storage.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would recommend using OneDrive. You can install the app on your android phone and have it back up all the photos. You get a lot more free storage than dropbox gives you.
    If you have Windows 8, OneDrive natively integrates into your PC's filesystem. If you have Windows 7, you can install the sync client to do the same and it's all accessible over the web too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use OSX at home and as I've said earlier, I have Google Drive and have no particular wish to set up a further online storage system. One is enough.

Actually, storage space isn't an issue as I don't leave them in the cloud. It's just a seamless way of getting them to my computer, from there I periodically sort them and delete and junk, then store on my server.