How to remove a tick from my dog

tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi.

My otherwise healthy two year old Springerdoodle has a tick. I have just discovered it.

The thing is I am squeamish and don't think I can remove it myself. Is there an easy way of removing it, or would a visit to the vets be my best option?

Non of my dogs have ever had a tick before. And yes, it's definitely a tick you can see it's buried into her skin :o

Is she in any immediate danger from this little beastie?

Thanks ever so much.

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are fairly easy to remove but if you have never done it before pop into your vets and ask a nurse to show you how, I wish we had done that with our first one because leaving the head in caused an infection and could easily have been avoided. Don't leave it though as once it has finished feeding it may fall off naturally then anyone with bare skin is a target and having one yourself is pretty nasty.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    They are horrible little ****ers.>:(

You can get special gadgets that hook underneath them, then you twist it round and gently lift, they usually come off without breaking in two.
    Twisting them is the key, I just use my fingers now, but it takes a bit of practice.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi.

Thanks for your answers.

That's a good idea, asking a nurse to show me how to do it correctly. The last thing I want to do is cause more damage, and I don't want Molly to get an infection.

I'll pop in today and get it sorted.

Thanks again.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update.

I have Molly booked in at our local vets. It's expensive I know but at least it will be gone and I'll know how to do it myself in future.:p

There's lots of conflicting advice out there. Most health sites say to never twist on removal, so I wouldn't know what to do for the best in that regard.

We don't have deer locally, just foxes and rabbits. I assumed ticks were carried by just deer, that's why I haven't been concerned about them.

I cannot stand the thought of something like this attached to her :cry:.

Thanks again :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim_smith wrote: »
    Update.

I have Molly booked in at our local vets. It's expensive I know but at least it will be gone and I'll know how to do it myself in future.:p

There's lots of conflicting advice out there. Most health sites say to never twist on removal, so I wouldn't know what to do for the best in that regard.

We don't have deer locally, just foxes and rabbits. I assumed ticks were carried by just deer, that's why I haven't been concerned about them.

I cannot stand the thought of something like this attached to her :cry:.

They are carried by many animals Tim, hedgehogs can be covered !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

Thanks Molliepops; there's hedgehogs a plenty here. I walk though woods and bridleways every morning with Molly (as well as a daily beach walk/swim), so the woods and bridle way will have been where she got the tick.

I was thinking about preventative measures but the thing is she has a daily swim in the sea and that will reduce the chances of (for example) Advocate working.

I'll ask the vet what my best options are. Of course, once I know how to remove them I'll check her daily.

Thanks again :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have just started using a tablet once every 3 months deals with fleas, worms and ticks. Really easy to give as it's palatable so even our Chihuahua will scoff it.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

Yep, I found one in the hedgehog feeder a few months ago. First time I have seen one, horrible things. I dont like killing things but it had to go. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Molliepops.

A tablet sounds a great idea. Hadn't even considered that, thanks. :)

Can I ask what the tablet is?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hope Molly is ok. My last dog had one too, was too squeamish to deal with it so the ver kindly did the deed. Just as a wee warning but my hubby had a tick embedded in his bits. He works amongst long grass and trees in the countryside. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Molliepops.

Shamefully I cannot remember, but it was prescribed by the vet I am sure if you ask them they will know what it is.

We only started on them 2 months ago so only had one tablet so far but the result was the tick Betty had remained flaccid and quickly just fell off, looked like it died almost instantly !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha, that's ok Molliepops.

I'll ask at the vets this afternoon and report back - just in case anyone else has a semi-permanent wet dog and are looking for an alternative to drops.

Tablets sound like a brilliant idea all round.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Hope Molly is ok. My last dog had one too, was too squeamish to deal with it so the very kindly did the deed. Just as a wee warning but my hubby had a tick embedded in his bits. He works amongst long grass and trees in the countryside. :blush:

Thanks, I'll post after appointment which is 4pm.

Bit in bold :o Ouch!

:)
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never pull a tick, the key is to twist it.

Get a O'tom tick remover:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-accessories-dog-ticks-c-628_821/o-tom-tick-twister-pair-of-hooks-p-2262

Hook it between the skin of your dog and where the tick is attached, twist it as if you were opening a bottle of pop. The tick will come off in seconds. Dispose of the tick.

NEVER use alcohol or try and burn it off, you are more likely to burn the dog or your fingers, and alcohol will give the tick such a shock it will throw up its stomach contents into your dog's blood, which are toxins and can poison your dog. And never use tweezers, their not the same as a tick remover, and you will most likely pull the body off and leave the head embedded, which can go septic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi.

The tick has been removed and the nurse used a special tick twister hook. It was just as Colliewobbles described, twist and pull :).

Molliepops, I asked about the tablet form and the vet didn't know, so I opted for Frontline Combi. I inquired about Frontline sometimes being ineffective, but she says the combi works and their's no proof that it doesn't. Anyway, I took her word and I've three months' supply so hopefully Molly will be safe from the nasty beasties.

(They had run out of Advocate and I wanted to treat Molly ASAP).

Molly was a bit jumpy while the tick was being removed but she did very well.:)

It was sad, as the last time I went to the vets three weeks ago, it was to put my 15 year old dog to sleep.:cry:

I now have the job of keeping Molly dry for the next two days in order for Frontline to take root :p.

Thanks again for all of your help, it's much appreciated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Molliepops.

It's either Bravecto or Nexguard:).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Glad all went well. :)
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I inquired about Frontline sometimes being ineffective, but she says the combi works and their's no proof that it doesn't. Anyway, I took her word and I've three months' supply so hopefully Molly will be safe from the nasty beasties.
    Frontline and Frontline Combi aren't always effective on fleas nowadays but they are still effective on ticks on cats and dogs.

Ticks are somewhat species specific - so hedgehog ticks won't necessarily attach and feed off cats, for eg. However, lacking much in the way of protective hair or spines, a variety of ticks will attach themselves to humans. I'm particularly careful when I'm handling sheep, for eg, because I have found ticks on me after I've had a close encounter when trimming their feet, worming them...

There is now a new product from the Frontline people - Broadline. It does fleas, ticks and some internal worms / parasites on cats.
  • catzooocatzooo Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    When I found the first one I went to the vet. Showed me how to remove it. They sold me a tick remover tool for about £3. It's s a doddle to do myself with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catzooo wrote: »
    When I found the first one I went to the vet. Showed me how to remove it. They sold me a tick remover tool for about £3. It's s a doddle to do myself with that.

Hi.
    Yes, that's what happened. I was shown how to do it by a nurse, (although she said they wouldn't recommend trying to remove it yourself ;-)) I talked to the vet about the best preventative measures, but hopefully, she won't get anymore thanks to Frontline Combo), but if she does, I have the tool and can remove the tick myself.

She's been on the beach twice today and I've just managed to keep her dry. She can have a swim tomorrow.:)
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I talked to the vet about the best preventative measures, but hopefully, she won't get anymore thanks to Frontline Combo), but if she does, I have the tool and can remove the tick myself.
    She will get ticks because as far as I'm aware, nothing stops a tick climbing on and getting stuck in. The ingredients in Combo and other products then kills the tick, it shrivels and drops off. So you may still find ticks on their skin - we do - but, depending on how long they've been on the animal, they are not usually very healthy (or dead) when we remove them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    She will get ticks because as far as I'm aware, nothing stops a tick climbing on and getting stuck in. The ingredients in Combo and other products then kills the tick, it shrivels and drops off. So you may still find ticks on their skin - we do - but, depending on how long they've been on the animal, they are not usually very healthy (or dead) when we remove them.

Thanks Normandie, I hadn't released that.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Never pull a tick, the key is to twist it.

Get a O'tom tick remover:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-accessories-dog-ticks-c-628_821/o-tom-tick-twister-pair-of-hooks-p-2262

Hook it between the skin of your dog and where the tick is attached, twist it as if you were opening a bottle of pop. The tick will come off in seconds. Dispose of the tick.

NEVER use alcohol or try and burn it off, you are more likely to burn the dog or your fingers, and alcohol will give the tick such a shock it will throw up its stomach contents into your dog's blood, which are toxins and can poison your dog. And never use tweezers, their not the same as a tick remover, and you will most likely pull the body off and leave the head embedded, which can go septic.

Top tips! The tick twisters are brilliant.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What colour are ticks?

My Mollypops had a strange growth on the side of her head, not huge, just about 2 mm across but it was growing and was about 4 mm long. I was going to take her to our local vet this Wed, but when I looked at it this afternoon it had vanished, I assumed Mollypops had scratched it and knocked it off. I saw it on the floor, but before I could get to it, the silly puppy ate it!

I can't tell you what colour it was cos I'm colour-blind, but it wasn't dark. Our other puppy had one a few years ago which we were told to dab with vinegar every few hours, which would kill it, it seemed to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    What colour are ticks?

My Mollypops had a strange growth on the side of her head, not huge, just about 2 mm across but it was growing and was about 4 mm long. I was going to take her to our local vet this Wed, but when I looked at it this afternoon it had vanished, I assumed Mollypops had scratched it and knocked it off. I saw it on the floor, but before I could get to it, the silly puppy ate it!

I can't tell you what colour it was cos I'm colour-blind, but it wasn't dark. Our other puppy had one a few years ago which we were told to dab with vinegar every few hours, which would kill it, it seemed to work.

Ticks are black, but when start to swell after attatching to a host, they turn a light fawn/ off white greyish colour. Or at least the body does, the head remains black. The whole tick would look like a tiny black dot with legs at first, then grows to roughly the size of a baked bean ( and resembles one to) if left. Once it's gorged itself and had its fill it will drop off and wait for something else to pass then jump on that.

If your puppy managed to scratch it off, she would only scratch the body part off, the head would remain embedded in her skin. Ticks have two barbs on their mouth parts which prevents them from dropping out until their ready to, that's why you can't just pull them off. If your puppy broke the body off, you would be able to see a dark dot where the head is still attached, if you couldn't, then it wasn't a tick, as there is no way a dog could scratch a whole attached tick out of itself. Ticks spread and carry some seriously nasty stuff too, so if the head is left in, put antiseptic liquid or cream on and around it.