Options

Nick and Margaret: Too Many Immigrants?

BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
Forum Member
Evening all. Any watchers?
Nick Hewer and Margaret Mountford explore the impact of immigration in the UK by bringing both sides of the debate together. Pairing five Brits who are opposed to immigration with five immigrants, they look at the issues of jobs, housing and what it means to be British.

This is a two-part series; second episode airs tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am here and expecting very little.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm watching. This is going to be very interesting.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grrr Immigrants, Grrrr

Sharknado is on Pick TV. BTW
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    8 million immigrants in the country.

We could get rid of 3 million of them and everyone could be employed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice house, Sky TV...cost of living crisis. :kitty:
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Should be good for a laugh. Call me cynical, but I imagine many of the people on the show 'concerned' about immigration will no doubt be changing their minds and saying that mass immigration it turns out is a very, very good thing and only a racist would say otherwise. What's the betting?
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me guess. Some people they talk to will say immigration is bad, and some will say it is good. We will find out that some immigrants do bad things and some do good things, and the programme will come to the conclusion that they are some bad factors and some good factors about immigration. So we will learn nothing that we don't already know. That's my guess anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Let me guess. Some people they talk to will say immigration is bad, and some will say it is good. We will find out that some immigrants do bad things and some do good things, and the programme will come to the conclusion that they are some bad factors and some good factors about immigration. So we will learn nothing that we don't already know. That's my guess anyway

All the immigrants are going to be business owners.

Oh look Polish Business owners who employ Polish workers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mariosh is a smoker, that I can tell you.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    British ain't a language. :(
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Cockney in the building trade concerned about immigration. Colour me surprised...
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this person only employs polish workers, and then he is the only one that speaks English. Surely something is wrong there..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Immigrants should not be able to undercut UK workers as they should all be paid the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    So this person only employs polish workers, and then he is the only one that speaks English. Surely something is wrong there..

Jobs for the boys - Polish boys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cockney in the building trade concerned about immigration. Colour me surprised...

He has good reason to be.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He must be wrong then
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    How come that brits complain about not employing the local people when it's obvious that brits don't want to work some dirty jobs like caregivers or nurses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I love to travel."...... to London and then stay there.

I can see exactly where this programme is going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't blame Filipinos for coming here when we have actively recruited them.
    But I do feel they were employed because they could be paid less than UK workers.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Here we go .....the indigenous people are lazy and don't want to work myth gets trotted out yet again. Oh, and they can't spell either.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Immigrants should not be able to undercut UK workers as they should all be paid the same.
    Can't blame Filipinos for coming here when we have actively recruited them.
    But I do feel they were employed because they could be paid less than UK workers.

There is Min wage so that's the bottom line, and migrant workers will in many cases work for less than Brit born. The construction man said he wanted £15 yet migrants were undercutting by working for £11. But that's capitalism and free market for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    Here we go .....the indigenous people are lazy and don't want to work myth gets trotted out yet again.

Boring isn't it? I know lots of indigenous carers, indigenous nurses, white people who volunteer and take care of others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is Min wage so that's the bottom line, and migrant workers will in many cases work for less than Brit born. The construction man said he wanted £15 yet migrants were undercutting by working for £11. But that's capitalism and free market for you.

We don't have real capitalism or a free market.

The banks got bailed out and the unemployed are being scape goated for the ills of the bankers.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    The topic always provokes and that's the aim of the programme. I worked with two Portuguese cleaners, both spoke very little English. One had job interview with daughter as interpreter and one time I was trying to tell her about the damaged plug socket - was like talking to a deaf person. I don't blame them, they just want to earn money like the rest of us. I was concerned more on a health and safety point of view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay Doner meat and chips.

OMG 19 immigrants sharing a house. And people wonder why they can afford to work for less pay.