Options

RSPCA accused of dirty tricks in Scotland

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
Forum Member
The Times wrote:
The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Scottish SPCA), which is a completely separate organisation, challenged the RSPCA “to stop stealing food from the mouths of Scotland’s defenceless animals and tell the truth to the Scottish public”.

The Scottish charity, less than a tenth of the size of the RSPCA, accuses the English organisation of TV advertising in Scotland; a membership drive in Scottish supermarkets; and adverts on Scottish radio stations. It also believes the RSPCA are guilty of accepting legacies dedicated to "RSPCA Scotland" or "Scottish RSPCA".
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article5644077.ece

Pretty unfair if this is true, they're really misleading folk into donating to a charity which won't help animals in their area.

Of course, all abandoned or mistreated animals need help but its only natural that people would want to help those in their own country first - hence why the RSPCA does much better in the UK than foreign animal charities.

Hopefully they'll now get their act sorted out and if they do advertise or rattle tins in Scotland, they make it clear to the public that the cash won't be used to help Scottish animals.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm most amused that an RSPCA ad to donate £4 a month appeared at the bottom of this thread :D

But yeah, OP, I quite agree.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got the feeling it wasn't intentional on the RSPCA's part and some in Scotland were oblivious to the fact that the RSPCA only cover England and Wales.

That is something I hadn't realised until tonight
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I'm most amused that an RSPCA ad to donate £4 a month appeared at the bottom of this thread :D

But yeah, OP, I quite agree.

How do they do that? I've often noticed an ad relevant to the topic at the bottom of the thread. Is related-ad allocating someone's job?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got some donkey charity at the bottom of mine.

Last week I was on some politics thread about Palestine and the ad at the bottom was offering me the services of an Arab dating site.

I don't know how they do it. Or indeed if it works:)

But, yeah I've always known about RSPCA/SSPCA and RSPCC/RSSPCC (now Children 1st).

My Dad had a stroke a couple of weeks ago and the following week a pamphlet for The Stroke Association fell out of his Radio Times, he was gonna give them a wee donation until I told him about Chest, Heart & Stroke Scotland.

I also buy my Christmas cards from Alzheimer's Scotland rather than The Alzheimer's Association.

Its maybe petty but I want my charity cash to go to people in my community if I choose to support these causes. Thats not saying I don't support international aid charities too. I support both Oxfam & SCIAF.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't they just merge them into a single UK-wide charity?

Problem solved.
  • Options
    lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point but the Scottish animals are wanting independence apparently. :)
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I dont really care if the animals my money helps are in England, Scotland or Iraq. If animals need help then who cares what "nationality" they are.

On a personal note I dont give to either. Too much of their donations are eaten up by admin and a few SSPCA homes have been criticised for being a little "rigourous" in their policies of putting animals to sleep. ie to ugly and not as appealing to adopters etc. There are better animal charities to donate to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is true then that is really bad. I know a lot of people in Scotland who have donated to the RSPCA not knowing that there is a seperate Scottish SPCA and that their donations are not going to help any animals in Scotland.

I remember reading something, a few years ago, about how the SSPCA lose a lot of donations and money because of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ValLambert wrote: »
    To be honest I dont really care if the animals my money helps are in England, Scotland or Iraq. If animals need help then who cares what "nationality" they are.

Yes but the point is that if everyone is donating to the RSPCA and the SSPCA are losing out because of that then there are going to be a lot of animals in Scotland who aren't getting the help and funding they need because the wealth is all in England and Wales. It's not about wanting to help animals in your country only - it's about the fact that the SSPCA miss out on funding and then there are animals here that aren't getting the care they need because the funding that was intended for them is going elsewhere.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I got the feeling it wasn't intentional on the RSPCA's part and some in Scotland were oblivious to the fact that the RSPCA only cover England and Wales.

That is something I hadn't realised until tonight

It's not something I was aware of either. And although the RSPCA correctly state that they are a registered charity in England and Wales, I have to plead ignorance and say I never realised the meaning/impact of that in terms of activity in Scotland.

Not intentional, just something that should maybe be more obvious, although possibly most people already knew that and it's just me with my head in the sand :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charitable giving is not as charitable as some people think.

People want their money to go to certain areas, if that does not happen they can feel quite upset about it.

The bigger UK charities seem to have been taken over by bankers recently, or a version of that "Gordon Gecko" character.

Charitable greed is good seems to be their new direction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,666
    Forum Member
    darkpaw wrote: »

Problem solved.

My sentiments exactly.

I don't see why there has to be all these separate Scotland branches of everything.
  • Options
    lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just that the money is going to the RSPCA.
    People are not donating to the SSPCA because they think they are part of the RSPCA and the money will only be spent on lethal anaesthetics.

Incidentally, PDSA money raised in a PDSA shop in Birmingham is spent in Birmingham, money raised in Glasgow is spent in Glasgow, and so on all over the country. Money raised by the PDSA nationally is shared out nationally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjc2007 wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly.

I don't see why there has to be all these separate Scotland branches of everything.

Well, as far as I am aware, the RSPCA, which was created in the 1800's, was only ever an England and Wales charity. So the SSPCA was inspired by the RSPCA and created to fill the Scottish void.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,666
    Forum Member
    sleepydove wrote: »
    Well, as far as I am aware, the RSPCA, which was created in the 1800's, was only ever an England and Wales charity. So the SSPCA was inspired by the RSPCA and created to fill the Scottish void.

Fair enough :)
  • Options
    lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from that there are different laws in Scotland and England.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    darkpaw wrote: »

Problem solved.

The article I read mentioned that legally they couldn't merge. The SSPCA is a reporting agency to the Crown Office in Scotland. The RSPCA does not perform this function in England or Wales.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are far too many individual charities, there needs to be some consolidation in the market place, it gets confusing who to give money too sometimes, a UK animal charity and an International animal charity is all that's needed, same goes to the plethora of medical charities, children's charities, homeless charities, etc, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    incorrect info.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,364
    Forum Member
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    How do they do that? I've often noticed an ad relevant to the topic at the bottom of the thread. Is related-ad allocating someone's job?

They will probably be allocated automatically based on the words in the page.

This page mentions animals, charity and RSPCA so the DS web server matches that to a similar advert.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asterix4 wrote: »
    The article I read mentioned that legally they couldn't merge. The SSPCA is a reporting agency to the Crown Office in Scotland. The RSPCA does not perform this function in England or Wales.

Yes, they're very different; people think just because they have similar names and are animal charities then they must work the same.