Two Lancasters flying together, but only down south....

Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
Forum Member
Unless I`ve got this wrong, the much publicised flights together of the last two flying Lancasters are all down south.
The most northerly displays (and there are only two of them) is in the south midlands !
I live in Sheffield, just north of the midlands in fact, and the closest display would require a drive of over two hours in each direction...... And there are many millions of people living even further north.
How could something so obviously biased have come to pass ?

Comments

• SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd imagine it's difficult to get both flying together at once, maintenance wise.

If you want to see them that badly, get yo ass down there.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless I`ve got this wrong, the much publicised flights together of the last two flying Lancasters are all down south.
    The most northerly displays (and there are only two of them) is in the south midlands !
    I live in Sheffield, just north of the midlands in fact, and the closest display would require a drive of over two hours in each direction...... And there are many millions of people living even further north.
    How could something so obviously biased have come to pass ?

I know. They should have organised it so that they fly over everyones house at a convenient time.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that list is exhaustive. I'm sure I saw them at Scarborough (Armed Forces Day) on 28th June, York for the Tour de France on 6th July and also I'm sure they did a flyover York last Friday (as did the Red Arrows) for no good reason....
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBMF are based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire, this is where the Canadian Lancaster will be based. I'm hoping to get across there to see it, anyone can watch from there, although it'll probably be busy.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lancaster documentary on tonight. 7-8 pm BBC2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I don't think that list is exhaustive. I'm sure I saw them at Scarborough (Armed Forces Day) on 28th June, York for the Tour de France on 6th July and also I'm sure they did a flyover York last Friday (as did the Red Arrows) for no good reason....

There is only one Lancaster in the BBMF, and that does fly all over. The 2nd one is a Canadian aircraft visiting for a short stay, and both will fly together.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »

Possibly on their way to the Sunderland Air Show, which was last weekend.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Still hoping Just Jane will also get back into the air. amazes me the Lottery fund doesn't just sort this all out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/9782389/Lancaster-bomber-to-fly-as-tribute-to-a-lost-brother.html
  • bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe they are both supposed to be flying at Southport - that's hardly South Midlands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just checked - there is a flypast as far north as Windermere and Morecombe Bay.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Possibly on their way to the Sunderland Air Show, which was last weekend.

There was definitely 1 Lancaster at the airshow, not sure about 2 though, id had a few by that time.;-)
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Always great to see the Lancaster overhead. Another rare a/c of that era is the Westland Lysander. Last time I checked there was just one only (non flyable) example in an a/c museum somewhere in the world , and news that another was being restored but havnt heard whether or not that project became reality.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    There was definitely 1 Lancaster at the airshow, not sure about 2 though, id had a few by that time.;-)
    I'm sure I saw two flying overhead on Sunday, just inland from Sunderland...

edit: looking at posts elsewhere what I saw (and heard!) were possibly a Spitfire and a Hurricane.

It's safe to say I'm no good at plane spotting...
  • Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    bigpod wrote: »
    I've just checked - there is a flypast as far north as Windermere and Morecombe Bay.

Where did you check that, I didn`t see it on the BBMF website ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :)
    Robbie01 wrote: »

edit: looking at posts elsewhere what I saw (and heard!) were possibly a Spitfire and a Hurricane.

I think it is fair comment indeed. :)
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »

If you'd sunk a few more, you would have definitely seen two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you check that, I didn`t see it on the BBMF website ?

http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx

Hope that helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for that. I'm in a position for several viewings. :D:D
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »

:Dme neither, was that the one painted orange and black?
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Always great to see the Lancaster overhead. Another rare a/c of that era is the Westland Lysander. Last time I checked there was just one only (non flyable) example in an a/c museum somewhere in the world , and news that another was being restored but havnt heard whether or not that project became reality.

You need to check again ;) There are two flightworthy ones in Canada, and a third here in the UK in the Shuttleworth Collection. This one flys regularly now, for many years they never got its engine running quite right - but the Blenheim project at Duxford meant that there was a sudden hike on Bristol Mercury servicing skills in the UK in the noughties LOL Prior to that there wasn't a Mercury expert working in the UK!

And quite a few museum display items, and several who's present condition - display-only or in restoration - is currently unknown.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a flypast up here last Sunday during the Veterans weekend events at The East Park in Kingston-upon-Hull, Consisting of a Lancaster, Spitfire and a Hurricane, they kept circling and ended up making 3 passes in all, quite amazing and the sound they made was breathtaking.
    Oh yeah and the Red Arrows did a quick flypast aswell.
  • Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member

Thanks, it`s certainly more comprehensive than the BBMF page .

The Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight used to have a page on their site with all the flights including approximate timings. It was handy very useful but seems to have disappeared from their site now, does anyone know how to get this info ? It was also handy if you wanted to go and see them take off/land at Coningsby, and that was certainly a great experience, we did it once or twice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vera has just arrived at RAF Coningsby, in appalling weather. Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing them both. :)
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a Lancaster flyover at Saddleworth sometime this weekend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    There's a Lancaster flyover at Saddleworth sometime this weekend.

Hopefully the weather will be kind enough to allow most events. The flypast over Lincoln Cathedral today had to be cancelled because of it. The Red Arrows were due to fly over with them. A real shame for the many that must have been there to see it.