MasterChef Australia Season 6 ...

Comments

• GillT07GillT07 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Tracy go because she didn't have a sob story? She just cooked and we have no idea of what inspired her dish, or didn't as it turned out.
    I am so fed up of all these tears and quivering chins which are encouraged by the judges I think, in the mistaken belief that they make good TV. Well not for me they don't. Getting back to Masterchef Professionals tomorrow will be a huge relief.

I assumed that they edited it later to cut her story because they knew she was going home?

I quite enjoy some of the stories. I can't cook for toffee, and wouldn't watch a 'how to cook' programme. I have been tempted to get the books out and have ago, but for me, MC is about having a dream/passion/vocation; finding out what you want to do and be, and never giving up - that seems to be especially true of MC Australia.

I may be in a minority of one. :)
  • MagpieMaisieMagpieMaisie Posts: 2,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Certainly an interesting service challenge today - Shannon Bennett had the look of a man who largely regretted letting them all in, even the ones that did well!

Not surprised! Quite how they expected 3 amateurs to single-handedly take on dishes that ended up taking 3 or 4 people to get out on time I don't know!
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have I mentioned that Jamie gets right up my nose?

I know Emilia can look smug but I believe he is way more smug and self satisfied.

I would be really disappointed if he won by some hideous fluke - I just don't think he is as good as the others.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Have I mentioned that Jamie gets right up my nose?

I know Emilia can look smug but I believe he is way more smug and self satisfied.

I would be really disappointed if he won by some hideous fluke - I just don't think he is as good as the others.

I've not watched the second of yesterday's epsiodes yet, but I was so glad Emelia beat him in their dual in the first episode. His "I've been to India, I'm the Indian cuisine king" attitude came across very arrogant to me.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cika wrote: »

Glad to see Laura's hair had a less starring role in the first episode's cook.

Only to be replaced in the second episode by Shannon Bennett's own barnet ... How on earth does he get away with having hair like that in the kitchen ?? He's a genius and I adore him, but even so!
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I've not watched the second of yesterday's epsiodes yet, but I was so glad Emelia beat him in their dual in the first episode. His "I've been to India, I'm the Indian cuisine king" attitude came across very arrogant to me.

He ramps it up in the second episode with thinking that he's nailed the prep!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »

He ramps it up in the second episode with thinking that he's nailed the prep!

Ha. I look forward to it. Sort of :p

Checked on the Sky TV Guide to see how many episodes were left. The final is on Friday! I don't want it to be over :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Just finished playing catch up. I gave yo say Laura really annoys me. No matter how much she gets it wrong she survives. And I'm sick of hearing about her "Iralian heritage." Saying that Jamie isn't far behind. He's to cocky.

I'm pleased I checked at the beginning who wins. I'll miss it when it ends.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of the problem with Jamie is the way he smiles - instead of lifting the corners of his mouth up, he starts by doing some sort of weird thing where he wrinkles his nose, pulls the middle of his mouth upwards, and turns the corners downwards. It LOOKS like someone trying not to sneer and look smug, but unable to control it. Now, maybe he really is like that, and maybe he isn't, but that's how his face makes it look.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I think a lot of the problem with Jamie is the way he smiles - instead of lifting the corners of his mouth up, he starts by doing some sort of weird thing where he wrinkles his nose, pulls the middle of his mouth upwards, and turns the corners downwards. It LOOKS like someone trying not to sneer and look smug, but unable to control it. Now, maybe he really is like that, and maybe he isn't, but that's how his face makes it look.
    Yeah, there's all that ^^^ and the fact that he's an arrogant little blert who isn't nearly as talented as he thinks he is.

I'm catching-up on last night's offering and I could have slapped Emelia.

WTF was she THINKING? :o

NOT doing a pudding at this stage of the competition when it's what she excels at?

Was she so supremely confident that she thought she didn't need the advantage of playing to her strength?

Stupid, stupid girl.
  • cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funnily enough I only came to that conclusion yesterday, after weeks of wondering why he was so irritating. The tash just accentuates it. He did bring a tear to my eye tonight. :blush:

At the same time I realised my problem with Emelia - the only part of her face that moves is her mouth, so I can't read her. It looks as if she's botoxed to the hair line although at her age it's unlikely.

I don't have a problem with Laura's Italian-centred cooking. All chefs have a focus - George cooks Greek, Gary modern Autralian etc. and she got through yesterday on Indian and Lebanese so it's not as if she can't cook anything else. She is annoying me increasingly as she gets more confident though!

Still can't pick a winner. Not long to wait, though. :cry:
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cika wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with Laura's Italian-centred cooking. All chefs have a focus - George cooks Greek, Gary modern Autralian etc. and she got through yesterday on Indian and Lebanese so it's not as if she can't cook anything else.

Among other things there was also the off-site Japanese elimination challenge, at which she mostly excelled. It's smart of her to cook to her Italian strength whenever possible because that gives her the best chance of staying. There are so many contestants in Aus & UK MC who risk something completely alien to them, saying they want to show the judges how versatile they are. That's dumb, because even if they survive (and many don't), the judges have very short memories so it won't save them next week. Just cook them a good dish and it's hard to get eliminated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    triton333 wrote: »
    Among other things there was also the off-site Japanese elimination challenge, at which she mostly excelled. It's smart of her to cook to her Italian strength whenever possible because that gives her the best chance of staying. There are so many contestants in Aus & UK MC who risk something completely alien to them, saying they want to show the judges how versatile they are. That's dumb, because even if they survive (and many don't), the judges have very short memories so it won't save them next week. Just cook them a good dish and it's hard to get eliminated.
    Cold, hard logic.........difficult to argue with any of that ^^ and Emelia should note the BIB >:(
  • magsy56magsy56 Posts: 2,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sugar lumps. I couldn't help myself, I just had to google.

But still, I lasted this long. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    magsy56 wrote: »

I'm losing hope.......I'm bailing out unless something miraculous happens :(
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    magsy56 wrote: »

But you only had to hold out for a few more days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    triton333 wrote: »
    But you only had to hold out for a few more days.

I know, I'm a total wimp.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did nobody else notice that the note about the eliminated contestant last night said they were going to be 'head chef' of a new venture? :o

How on earth did they talk themselves into that? Talk about ego. While I'm more than prepared to admit they have a potential future in the industry, simple humility would surely suggest getting some experience first was a priority. As was amply demonstrated throughout the series they still have a LOT to learn.

Don't think that's going to have a happy ending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    Did nobody else notice that the note about the eliminated contestant last night said they were going to be 'head chef' of a new venture? :o

How on earth did they talk themselves into that? Talk about ego. While I'm more than prepared to admit they have a potential future in the industry, simple humility would surely suggest getting some experience first was a priority. As was amply demonstrated throughout the series they still have a LOT to learn.

Don't think that's going to have a happy ending.

Yes, that made me grin - the way I read it it was a venture he's setting up himself. So despite his little leaving speech, Jamie didn't actually learn that he wasn't as good as he thinks he is.

The way it's likely to go in my imagination - people flock to it for a few weeks because he can trade on his MCA appearance then the novelty wears off and the reality of being totally inexperienced in an overcrowded industry and not as good as he thinks he is kicks in. I just hope it's the bank's money not family money that's gone into it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the masterclass! Byron back on my screen! :D He has been missed.
    Bunions wrote: »
    Yeah, there's all that ^^^ and the fact that he's an arrogant little blert who isn't nearly as talented as he thinks he is.

I'm catching-up on last night's offering and I could have slapped Emelia.

WTF was she THINKING? :o

NOT doing a pudding at this stage of the competition when it's what she excels at?

Was she so supremely confident that she thought she didn't need the advantage of playing to her strength?

Stupid, stupid girl.

I can see why she chose the egg dish. She wanted to challenge herself, and not go for the safe option. There wasn't an elimination riding on it, so if you were going to take the risk at any time, then was the time to do it. Her only real issue was her speed, but it was clear even if she had been faster, I still don't think she'd have been able to do it all on her own. I doubt one chef does all of that on their own in real life. It seemed impossible.

Both Jamie and Brent needed help too, yet for some reason, that wasn't mentioned by the judges at the end? Brent had nowhere near enough prepared for when service started, and only really got on top of things when others were doing the plating for him, just like Emelia. They also didn't mention the fact that Emelia (and Brent) stepped in to help Jamie as he was way behind. Had they not, I'm not sure he would have got all his souffles done. I found it odd that they made it seem like Brent and Jamie had had no help and didn't struggle too.

We also saw that not having the advantage didn't make any difference in the end. Yes it was a dessert and that's her strong point, but Brent had the recipe all night, was able to practise it too, and still struggled. So in the end, choosing the egg dish didn't harm her at all. Hindsight is a wonderful thing :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My pet peeve coming thick and fast tonight - it's not a 'finale'!!! It's a final. They're not cooking in the semi-finale tonight, why does it suddenly acquire an 'e' at the end? Annoys me every year.

Go Brent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight - "I want it to be perfect, cos that's what I do" and "I don't do Plan Bs"

Just about says it all. Perhaps she should take from this show a little humility and at only age 23 must understand that in any walk of life learning is a lifelong pleasure.
  • MagpieMaisieMagpieMaisie Posts: 2,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I wanna know is.... do they tell the judges their menu in advance? Cos they'd need the right ingredients available. And what if the judges turn round and say "Sorry, we couldn't get any chestnuts/mandarins/<insert ingredient here>"??

Edt: Just seen the menus on the table (watching on delay with dinner and a glass of pinot grigio), so obviously they have their menu prepared in advance. They'd still be screwed though if there was something unavailable, but I guess they'd have enough notice to adapt the menu.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought similar when he was evicted sorry eliminated. It's a snarl... Maybe if he got rid of the tash it wouldn't look so bad!

I watered up at little at Emilia and the judges. They obviously do love her and i do love it when they offer them jobs, was that the first this season? She will do well.
  • Lola UKLola UK Posts: 3,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I teared up when emilia left! The judges all clearly really liked her. Would never have guessed at Laura and Brent being in the final a few weeks ago! Fair play though, Brent is fab in the service challenges.

Persuading my bf to let me watch the final tomorrow Eve!
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Count me as another one who wouldn't have had those two in the final a while ago. Mind you, it's a marathon rather than a sprint and often it's those who start slowly who win through in the end.

I'm away over the weekend so won't be able to watch the final until Sunday evening.:(