Irresponsible corrie.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Think the way they are portraying Alzhiemers is very irresponsible. Mainly because ppl who have relatives diagnosed with the ilness and worry that they will became a danger and violent "like the woman off of Corrie".

Corrie really does annoy me sometimes the way they get basic things wrong. Especially with law and court scenes.

Think i may stop watching.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've got me fancying some cheese on toast. :)
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    No, no, dirty,dirty!
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    Think the way they are portraying Alzhiemers is very irresponsible. Mainly because ppl who have relatives diagnosed with the ilness and worry that they will became a danger and violent "like the woman off of Corrie".

Corrie really does annoy me sometimes the way they get basic things wrong. Especially with law and court scenes.

Sadly, people with Alzheimers very often become violent at times. What is irresponsible about portraying the reality? :confused:
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,287
    Forum Member
    Stop talking nonsence.

Everytime I see someone having a Drink I think they might drink all night, turn into a junkie like Phil off Eastenders blah blah

If people are daft enough to think TV is real life theyre beyond help to start with.
  • ScottHarrisScottHarris Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You should never have started watching it in the first place :D

I think your a bit harsh saying it is irresponsible though , it is only tv after all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should never have started watching it in the first place :D

I think your a bit harsh saying it is irresponsible though , it is only tv after all.

Having a TV is irresponsible full stop - stood there all shiny & whatnot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Sadly, people with Alzheimers very often become violent at times. What is irresponsible about portraying the reality? :confused:

Its a misconception. Yes they can become occasionally violent borne from a frustration, but not as often or as ramped up as the Corrie writers and producers seem to think. Usually when soaps deal with an ilness it's usually more honest and shown properly. And they put a message at the end with a phone number etc. notice how this isn't happening with this storyline, because the producers know full well they are portraying it incorrectly.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no! Corrie in a something on TV portrayed wrong shocker.
  • ScottHarrisScottHarris Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a misconception. Yes they can become occasionally violent borne from a frustration, but not as often or as ramped up as the Corrie writers and producers seem to think. Usually when soaps deal with an ilness it's usually more honest and shown properly. And they put a message at the end with a phone number etc. notice how this isn't happening with this storyline, because the producers know full well they are portraying it incorrectly.

Yeah i hate it when they do that , i can't believe people phone that number after watching a soap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no! Corrie in a something on TV portrayed wrong shocker.

Lowest form of wit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pft. Tell that to my granddad and auntie. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the portrayal very realistic. Perhaps condensed but all teh behaviours shown are true to life in my experience. My MIL was often very violent throwing things, screaming, hitting anything near her, banging her head on walls and even once she put her fist through a window.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this the same "irresponsible" storyline developed in consultation with the Alzheimers Society and endorsed and praised by the chairman of said society?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Is this the same "irresponsible" storyline developed in consultation with the Alzheimers Society and endorsed and praised by the chairman of said society?

All 'issue' storylines are supposedly written in consulation with charities. That doesn't mean the writers actually bear what they've learned from the charity in mind when they write the scripts. Often the charity will criticise the soap in the press afterwards and I wouldn't be surprised if the Alzheimers Society did exactly that in the coming weeks.

Surely people can't think that Lesley being conveniently killed to facilitate Eileen's future with this fireman bloke is actually a true to life portrayal of Alzheimer's.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A relative of mine has had Alzhiemers since Christmas and so far no sign of any violence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A relative of mine has had Alzhiemers since Christmas and so far no sign of any violence.

I really dont mean to be rude but give it time!!! It took 4 years for the violence to appear with my MIL. All the best of luck if you are doing any of the caring because believe me, you will need it!
  • 12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    All 'issue' storylines are supposedly written in consulation with charities. That doesn't mean the writers actually bear what they've learned from the charity in mind when they write the scripts. Often the charity will criticise the soap in the press afterwards and I wouldn't be surprised if the Alzheimers Society did exactly that in the coming weeks.

Surely people can't think that Lesley being conveniently killed to facilitate Eileen's future with this fireman bloke is actually a true to life portrayal of Alzheimer's.

Given the circumstances that lead to Lesley's untimely death I think that Eileen and Paul have a limited future together as Paul will blame Eileen for leaving Lesley alone.

My Mum works in Mental Health and I asked her how 'realistic' the storyline was and she did say to me that it was spot on in some of the aspects portrayed.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lesley has been a fantastic actress i dont know anyone personally who has suffered alzheimers but i think she has potrayed it well, its just the writing that has ruined it
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NIKKID wrote: »
    I really dont mean to be rude but give it time!!! It took 4 years for the violence to appear with my MIL. All the best of luck if you are doing any of the caring because believe me, you will need it!

Yes, thanks, fortunately the caring is being well shared and my next bit is next weekend but I take on board that it may take time to appear.

It's still all so sad.
  • AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    People with Alzheimers vary, the woman in Corrie is not untypical. Please don't say, "....woman off OF Corrie", the "of" is not necessary.

• Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »

You're missing the point. The chair of the Alzheimer's Society has praised the storyline for highlighting a taboo aspect of the disease - how the partner of a sufferer can feel when the person they once loved has effectively gone and they meet someone else. If Paul had been a widower when Eileen met him, everyone on here would be cooing. But although Lesley wasn't dead, the woman Paul married was, in a sense.

As for Lesley being "conveniently killed off" - Coronation Street is first and foremost a drama, not a public information film. Every conceivable aspect of the storyline has been explored. There was nowhere left to go except repetition. In reality, Lesley could have lived for years. But would viewers have wanted to see that? I wouldn't. So what was the alternative? To put her in a home? That would hardly be dramatic. And are we sure it's to keep Paul and Eileen together? Maybe it eventually splits them up? Goodness knows where it goes from here.

Finally, you talk of a true to life portrayal. But what is that? Ask 100 relatives of sufferers and surely you'll hear 100 different experiences. All cases are different. This was just one possible version.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're missing the point. The chair of the Alzheimer's Society has praised the storyline for highlighting a taboo aspect of the disease - how the partner of a sufferer can feel when the person they once loved has effectively gone and they meet someone else. If Paul had been a widower when Eileen met him, everyone on here would be cooing. But although Lesley wasn't dead, the woman Paul married was, in a sense.

As for Lesley being "conveniently killed off" - Coronation Street is first and foremost a drama, not a public information film. Every conceivable aspect of the storyline has been explored. There was nowhere left to go except repetition. In reality, Lesley could have lived for years. But would viewers have wanted to see that? I wouldn't. So what was the alternative? To put her in a home? That would hardly be dramatic. And are we sure it's to keep Paul and Eileen together? Maybe it eventually splits them up? Goodness knows where it goes from here.

Finally, you talk of a true to life portrayal. But what is that? Ask 100 relatives of sufferers and surely you'll hear 100 different experiences. All cases are different. This was just one possible version.
    Excellent post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good post, Irma. Totally agree. :)
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have looked after someone with Alzheimer's and I have to admit the portrayal of Leslie was pretty much spot on.

Leslie wasn't even at the stage where she was unmanageable yet.

Every sufferer is different, but I saw a lot of similarities between Leslie and my relative - who is now free from this terrible disease.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AntoniaA wrote: »
    People with Alzheimers vary, the woman in Corrie is not untypical. Please don't say, "....woman off OF Corrie", the "of" is not necessary.

The fact i put it in speechmarks should've been obvious that i was imitating people that use "off of".

Btw, what perks and benefits do you get from being in the grammar police?