Why they should keep Claire

Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,465
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok I know the character if Claire has its critics and I know the character has had its up and downs but I always felt she had potential without Ashly.

I really think its a shame she is going, especially now. I feel that Ashleys death would bring a much needed depth to her character and I feel its rather unfortunate that we wont see her struggle alone.

I want to see Claires story pan out.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they kept Claire, then she'd probably end up with Nick.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    They should have kept both Ashley and Claire. I don't know why they were axed. Someone like Kirk needs to go...
  • Alexis StardustAlexis Stardust Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Ashley :-(

Would rather see David or Fizz go..
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    I agree OP, actually and I wouldn't have before this week.

I too want to see the next stage of Claire's story.
  • Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashley was a great character but lost his spark in recent years but I felt they never fully explored Claire and Ashley's death was always an opportunity to do that.

Now thats happened I think its a huge shame she is going. Watching Claire struggle to bring up the children as a single parent would have been interesting for her. Like with Deirdre back in the 70's/80s or Gail.

I wish they would do an about turn and keep her. Ashley's death remove the comedic side of the character, a side which didnt seem to work.

We invest a lot as viewers in the characters and more so when a tragedy happens, so its a shame that we wont see this out with claire.
    Forum Member
    It's the same as Natasha. She was axed, then she performed amazingly and became intriguing in her exit storyline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same as Natasha. She was axed, then she performed amazingly and became intriguing in her exit storyline.

Yep but I think that was fine with Natasha because thats the magic of Corrie. Eastenders managed that Staceys friend.

But with Claire I feel we have had years of her character and this is the most pivotal point and now shes going.
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,648
    Forum Member
    Before, I wasn't bothered that they were both leaving. But with Ashley dead and seeing Claire in the episodes after and knowing she is leaving, I have realised that they were good characters, but they just didn't have the storylines needed to show that.
    Forum Member
    Yep but I think that was fine with Natasha because thats the magic of Corrie. Eastenders managed that Staceys friend.

But with Claire I feel we have had years of her character and this is the most pivotal point and now shes going.

Yes I do agree. I wonder if there may be a reprieve for Claire. Probably not. Producers rarely go back on decisions
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see Claire stick around as a single mother, but obviously that isn't going to happen.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem was they had become no better than deadwood because they where never given any serious storylines, it was properly for the best both of them to go with a hearty exit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Problem was they had become no better than deadwood because they where never given any serious storylines, it was properly for the best both of them to go with a hearty exit.

Yes there is that. But then again I feel the show lacks average everyday types and Claire is one of those.

She is boring, and lets face it, most people are Claire types and I think Corrie needs that type of character.

I can imagine her being a Gail type in 20 years time.

But its not going to happen, a shame really.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as Ashley was killed off, rather than closing a door, a new one opened for Claire. I'm saddened that the producers haven't seen the potential, I want to see how Claire handles life as a single mother, not see her packed off to France in this major turning point in her life.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there is that. But then again I feel the show lacks average everyday types and Claire is one of those.

She is boring, and lets face it, most people are Claire types and I think Corrie needs that type of character.

I fear we'll never see characters the like of Sally and Gail stay 20 years or so again. Ordinary doesn't cut it anymore apparently.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the show is quite good at the every day types most who works at the factory are quite like that.
  • funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,339
    Forum Member
    When she gets the chance to shine the actress can be very good but mostly she has been given ropey storylines. I would have preferred Ashley to stay and Dev, Sean or Kirk killed