Options

strangeness when I create new folder

i'm assuming it's a virus of some sort but every time I create a new folder it gives it a name starting with new ie new jersey, new age new brunswick ect any ideas my anti virus says I'm clean running xp

Comments

• Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen that before. What anti-virus are you using? Do you have any anti-malware protection too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    avg now checking as microft security found nothing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't have two or more anti-viruses installed at the same time, only have the one. MSE and AVG aren't malware protection either, so I'd recommend downloading, installing and scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you use ALZip? It has a feature that does this. The standard Windows new folder option should still be available further down the context menu though.

You can turn it on and off in ALZip's options:

Option > Preferences > Explorer Menu > Others > Use ALZip New Folder Function

Daedroth wrote: »
    MSE and AVG aren't malware protection either

Can you clarify that statement? Viruses are a type of malware so yes, MSE and AVG are malware protection. Both have real time shields and both can do offline scans. What are you suggesting they can't do?

(BTW, I'm not saying having a second offline scanner is a bad idea.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Can you clarify that statement? Viruses are a type of malware so yes, MSE and AVG are malware protection. Both have real time shields and both can do offline scans. What are you suggesting they can't do?

(BTW, I'm not saying having a second offline scanner is a bad idea.)
    Malwarebytes scans for a lot of things that most anti-viruses don't look for, also Malwarebytes doesn't look for viruses, only malware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malwarebytes scans for a lot of things that most anti-viruses don't look for

Such as? Can you give any examples?

I've actually found MSE to be more reliable at spotting infections than Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I use an infected virtual machine to evaluate anti-malware products and I have 6 infections I use.

MSE found all 6, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware only found 4.

Of course there will be some differences in definitions and scanning parameters between different products which is why running a second offline scanner is a good idea.
    also Malwarebytes doesn't look for viruses, only malware.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware does scan for viruses.

Malware is a general term used to describe all software that is in some way malicious. You can't have a virus that isn't malware.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    You shouldn't have two or more anti-viruses installed at the same time, only have the one. MSE and AVG aren't malware protection either, so I'd recommend downloading, installing and scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    Thanks to various people for their help I should have made clear that I uninstalled the one before loading the other . thanks to the alzip info that helped as stupidly I hadn't even noticed that I was clicking on new folder in a different place when i right clicked duh:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such as? Can you give any examples?

I've actually found MSE to be more reliable at spotting infections than Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I use an infected virtual machine to evaluate anti-malware products and I have 6 infections I use.

MSE found all 6, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware only found 4.

Of course there will be some differences in definitions and scanning parameters between different products which is why running a second offline scanner is a good idea.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware does scan for viruses.

Malware is a general term used to describe all software that is in some way malicious. You can't have a virus that isn't malware.
    Do you know the difference between a virus and malware? From personal experience, MSE did not catch the fake anti-viruses that are floating around, whereas Malwarebytes can.
    Malwarebytes only state they scan for malware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know the difference between a virus and malware?

For the last time - a virus is a type of malware.

Malware = malicious software. This term covers ALL types of malicious software INCLUDING VIRUSES
    Malwarebytes only state they scan for malware: [url=http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free[/url]

Directly quoting from the Malwarebytes' website:

Why Do You Need Malwarebytes?

Malwarebytes products have a proven record of protecting computers by completely removing all forms of malware, including viruses, Trojans, spyware, adware and rootkits. When it comes to the safety of your computer, Malwarebytes provides the ultimate in protection from the cutting edge of technology!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the last time - a virus IS malware.

Malware = malicious software. This term covers ALL types of malicious software INCLUDING VIRUSES
    Viruses are self replicating, often causing damage to systems.
    Malware is malicious, either gathering information or to trick people (social engineering) into handing over confidential information, usually credit card details.
    Directly quoting from the Malwarebytes' website:

Why Do You Need Malwarebytes?

Malwarebytes products have a proven record of protecting computers by completely removing all forms of malware, including viruses, Trojans, spyware, adware and rootkits. When it comes to the safety of your computer, Malwarebytes provides the ultimate in protection from the cutting edge of technology!
    I can tell you that an anti-virus programme will not find malware that Malwarebytes can find. Malwarebytes will not find viruses that anti-viruses can find.

If you think that having both is pointless, then you're sadly mistaken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viruses are self replicating, often causing damage to systems.
    Malware is malicious, either gathering information or to trick people (social engineering) into handing over confidential information, usually credit card details.

So you're saying a virus is not malicious? WRONG. They are very much malicious in nature, and the computer security industry consider them to be, which is why they are classed as malware. As you can see from the Malwarebytes website, they consider a virus to be malicious, and therefore malware.

Dictionary definition of 'malice' for your reference

A malicious act is any act that intentionally causes harm.
    If you think that having both is pointless, then you're sadly mistaken.

On the contrary, I've actually said above it's a good idea.

However, If you believe MSE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware are very different then you are sadly mistaken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're saying a virus is not malicious? WRONG. They are very much malicious in nature, and the computer security industry consider them to be, which is why they are classed as malware.

Dictionary definition of 'malice' for your reference

On the contrary, I've actually said above it's a good idea.

However, If you believe MSE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware are very different then you are sadly mistaken.
    I can't be bothered arguing with you any more, clearly I'm falling on deaf ears.

Try having a read of: http://lifehacker.com/5560443/whats-the-difference-between-viruses-trojans-worms-and-other-malware
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be bothered arguing with you any more, clearly I'm falling on deaf ears.

Nope, you're just plain wrong and too arrogant and/or ignorant to accept it.

From your own link, which I doubt you've actually read yourself:

What is Malware?

The word Malware is short for malicious software, and is a general term used to describe all of the viruses, worms, spyware, and pretty much anything that is specifically designed to cause harm to your PC or steal your information.

I'm out of this discussion now, as you seem unable to even grasp the simple concept of what certain words mean.

Your own links disprove what you're trying to say so I really don't see the point of carrying this on. It wasn't my intention to argue.