Playing it Straight making a return

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
Forum Member
Anyone remember this incredibly trashy yet highly addictive show from 2005? It was a cowboy themed dating show hosted by June Sarpong where if the woman chose a straight man in the end the two of them would walk away with £50,000 each. However, if she chose a gay man she'd get nothing and the gay guy would get it all. I just remembered it earlier today so did some online searching for it and it seems to be making a return after all this time!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/playing-it-straight/episode-guide/series-2/episode-1

It's now hosted by Jameela Jamil, narrated by Alan Carr and is on E4 instead of Channel 4 (makes sense I guess :D). It starts Monday 9th of January.

Anyone else remember this show? Excited for it's return? It seems the theme has changed to a Spanish one as well.

Comments

• KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, total trash and I loved it!

"It's time for you to leave the Hacienda ... but before you go, I've got to know ... "

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
    Forum Member
    I remember it totally! Thought it was great.
    I even mentioned it in The Bachelor thread earlier this year :D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Complete and utter rubbish but enjoyably so :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    The 2005 series is available on 4od/youtube and have watched the first 3. Some of the guys are absolutely smoking hot (The two Danny's, Ben and Marco to be precise). Am hoping that's going to be a main draw for this series as well :D.

As a gay guy as well I should really be offended by the concept of the show. It reinforces gay stereotypes to the extreme, in some ways mocks the seriousness of coming out and portrays the gay contestants as sleazy little game players as opposed to the straight ones who are "in it for love". But I really don't care, absolutely loving it!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I find even the concept offensive, tbh. Whether it's 'enjoyable' or not is irrelevant.
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    PythonFang wrote: »
    The 2005 series is available on 4od/youtube and have watched the first 3. Some of the guys are absolutely smoking hot (The two Danny's, Ben and Marco to be precise). Am hoping that's going to be a main draw for this series as well :D.

As a gay guy as well I should really be offended by the concept of the show. It reinforces gay stereotypes to the extreme, in some ways mocks the seriousness of coming out and portrays the gay contestants as sleazy little game players as opposed to the straight ones who are "in it for love". But I really don't care, absolutely loving it!

I totally agree with you about how us gays should be offended, but this show was pure fun and entertainment from start to finish - it was harmless and I bloody loved it. I let out a little squeal when I heard it was coming back! :D:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Watched the last few as well, it has an absolutely hilarious ending. Would definitely recommend :D.

Would also like the singing man/bard/whatever to make a return. "Is there something about..."
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen the advert for it on E4. 9pm Monday as mentioned above.

I remember the first one and parts of the US one.

Cheap, tacky yet light entertainment. :D

Must be better than Sorority Girls though.
  • Jackboy18Jackboy18 Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump. It's on now on E4.
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of them have appealed to me so far, ha...

I think most of the gay-looking ones will turn out to be straight (like last time) :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Loving this already. Cheese at its finest. :D

So glad they kept the hacienda theme and the bloke singing at the start!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My initial predictions are:

Fletcher - Straight
    Sam - Gay
    Levi - Straight
    Sven - Straight
    Filippo - Gay
    Kyle - Straight
    Dean - Gay
    Danny - Gay
    Leroy - Gay
    David - Straight
    Andrei - Straight

Wonder how many I'll get right. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's the guy in the dress? I reckon he is trying too hard...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogs Head wrote: »
    Who's the guy in the dress? I reckon he is trying too hard...

He's called Fletcher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jackboy18 wrote: »
    He's called Fletcher.

Oh, he's gone :( He was hot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Levi (Gay)
    - Kyle (Straight)
    - Sven (Gay)
    - Danny (Straight)
    - Leroy (Gay)
    - David (Gay)
    - Fillipo (Straight)
    - Dean (Straight)
    - Andrei (Straight)
    - Sam (Gay)
    - Ben (Straight)
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member

I think he's hot too and think he's gay.

Reckon one of the twins will be straight and one gay (and am hoping for an elimination where they are the last two left and she has to choose)

So far I like the woman more this year than in the last series. I can't even remember the woman in the American version but some of the guys were really, really hot. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I thought he was one of the best looking. :(

I've got to say that the girl Cara isn't all that pretty imo. I thought they would have found a girl a little more pretty. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew Filippo would turn out to be straight :) Same as last year - the super 'gay' one turned out to be straight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think the second guy would turn out to be gay! :D My gaydar is not good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My initial predictions are:

Fletcher - Straight
    Sam - Gay
    Levi - Straight
    Sven - Straight
    Filippo - Gay (WRONG)
    Kyle - Straight (WRONG)

Dean - Gay
    Danny - Gay
    Leroy - Gay
    David - Straight
    Andrei - Straight

Wonder how many I'll get right. :p

Two wrong so far. My gaydar musn't be very good. :D

I wonder why Fletcher left. Perhaps he was gay but had second thoughts about revealing it on TV? I wish they had told us. :(
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reckon one of the twins will be straight and one gay (and am hoping for an elimination where they are the last two left and she has to choose)

So far I like the woman more this year than in the last series. I can't even remember the woman in the American version but some of the guys were really, really hot. :)

I think one of the twins will be gay and one straight aswell. Though I can't remember who they are :o Or who many are...

Ahhhhh, Bradley from the US one.... :D
    I wonder why Fletcher left. Perhaps he was gay but had second thoughts about revealing it on TV? I wish they had told us. :(

Same. On his Channel4 page it says his claim to fame was being 'claiming to be pulled by Kerry Katona and Louis Spence'...

Alan Carr was fab on it. :D

Fletcher - Gay
    Sam - Straight
    Levi - Straight
    Sven - Gay
    Filippo - Gay
    Kyle - Gay
    Dean - Straight
    Danny - Gay
    Leroy - Gay
    David - Gay
    Andrei - Straight
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know one of the twins so here's a spoiler:
    Sam is gay. He's also one of the most vile, horrible people I've ever met in my life. Was quite funny seeing him on this show as he's nowhere near as nice as he comes across on tv. The big shock...his twin brother Ben is also gay. This is where I think she'll mess up as I bet she's expecting one of them to be gay and one of them to be straight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this show....

Does anyone know where i can watch the USA Version, i cant see it anywhere on the net?

Thanks