The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how this series carries on. It has never rated well, and the figures are still dropping.
    And presumably the average viewer is around 78.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    The Alan Titchmarsh Show sponsored by Conservative Central Office.:rolleyes: And you know how popular they are at the moment.

They have a better share % than any of your tv channels so :p
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how this series carries on. It has never rated well, and the figures are still dropping.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Isn't Alan Titchmarsh on a ridiculously overpaid deal with ITV - I think only Ant and Dec and Simon Cowell get more.

Titchmarsh was doing well against children's programmes much like Deal Or No Deal. And just like DOND ratings are down due to increased competition.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chase has won Best Daytime programme at the Broadcast Awards. :D
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Will ITV credit the increase in Lewis ratings to it being shown as 2 x 1-hour episodes instead of 1 x 2-hour episodes? Improved performance despite facing two popular sitcoms. If they do, will this mean they will do the same with their other 2-hour dramas? That would be a shame but could be good for the ratings.

I like the hour-long episodes of Lewis cos it takes up less of my time, but I'm currently enjoying the 2-hour long episode of Midsomer, the first I've watched for a while because I was finding some of the stories a bit silly and a bit racist in their stereotypical portrayal of country-folk. Sometimes a leisurely 2-hour crime mystery is just the thing.

I think they'll continue to order a mix depending on their slot requirements. I imagine Midsomer will continue to be commissioned as 120 minutes for that Wednesday slot.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    :eek: at Dallas. A total disaster. Just over 700k (and just over 800k with +1). Are Channel 5 really going to accept these types of figures for another 14 week? It will probably go down even further too! :eek: That said, it was a very good season opener last night and viewers don't know what their missing. I hope C5 run with it still in that slot.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the US version of Splash! won't be the worse thing ABC are airing this year:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/01/30/abc-greenlights-bet-on-your-baby-game-show/167329/

Then again they're also currently airing The Taste - which is essentially The Voice but with food.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: at Dallas. A total disaster. Just over 700k (and just over 800k with +1). Are Channel 5 really going to accept these types of figures for another 14 week? It will probably go down even further too! :eek: That said, it was a very good season opener last night and viewers don't know what their missing. I hope C5 run with it still in that slot.

It is a baffling situation regarding the Dallas downturn.

I do suspect though that while Dallas fans knew it was on, launching it on aq night of established viewing habits was a bit daft on C5 part. Death in Paradise is a popular show so those watching DIP would more likely continue watching that. It certainly is a feel good show. Re: Dallas: It will be interesting to see the consolidated figures though, as many may have recorded it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Wow. Viewers really hate the Dallas reboot, both here and in the US.

Only 819k (3.4%) turned out for the season premiere last night in the UK. It was beaten by the programmes either side of it, as Benidorm ER drew 1.17m (5.0%) at 8pm and the excellent new documentary series Brain Hospital managed a decent 884k (5.3%) at 10pm.

That's a real shame as I love Dallas. Next week it will also be up against the new Poliakoff which looks really good. Ah well, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It is a baffling situation regarding the Dallas downturn.

I do suspect though that while Dallas fans knew it was on, launching it on aq night of established viewing habits was a bit daft on C5 part. Death in Paradise is a popular show so those watching DIP would more likely continue watching that. It certainly is a feel good show. Re: Dallas: It will be interesting to see the consolidated figures though, as many may have recorded it.

Yes, that was my quandary last night because I love both programmes. Ended up watching Dallas on +1 once I had found it on Freeview.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    Really dismal night for ITV. I've always been convinced that WWTBAM could be a solid player again if they just afforded it a consistent slot - but my theory is clearly being a little undermined by ratings like that. And the Julian Fellowes piece afterwards is completely tanking.

BBC Two and C4 managed to capitalise, at 8 and 9pm respectively, with some strong numbers. And Death in Paradise is just enjoying a brilliant run for BBC One. I've just been looking back on the first run in Autumn 2011, and it was dropping well below 5m in overnights quite regularly - the sort of territory where you wouldn't have been stunned to see it quietly dropped. It managed to rally a little when I'm A Celebrity finished on ITV, which was probably what won it the second series. They must be glad it did!
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    There doesn't appear to be any immediate plans to move Dallas. The latest schedule exchange issued today for w/c 9th February still has it listed for 9pm, but they've gone and added the word "New" to the programme title, as if that'll make any difference! They'll probably see how it goes the next couple of weeks before making any decision on it. Rory & Will however which tanked even worse on Monday will be pushed back to 7pm from episode 3 onwards, with countdown show Britain's Funniest Comedy Characters taking the 9pm slot on February 11.

Doesn't the new boss start at C5 this week or next? He's been chucked in at the deep end with all these underperforming shows.

NCIS was a very welcome returnee tonight and will surely post a good number, getting things back on track after a dreadful start to the week. Unfortunately ITV were running a new Midsomer Murders which always dents NCIS so it probably won't achieve its full potential. :mad:
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although unlike many here I'm not baffled at all by how far Dallas has fallen it's quick return has probably caught many off guard - I'd have thought it wouldn't return till the summer in the US, never mind here, and changing the night probably doesn't help either. It's also not the sort of the show C5 usually show on Tuesday nights considering it's long been home to CSI and various procedurals. Maybe "New" isn't the three letters they need to be putting in the programme title to get people watching.

I'd have thought though pairing it with Once Upon a Time and airing Sundays 8-10pm would have given it a better chance.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Really dismal night for ITV. I've always been convinced that WWTBAM could be a solid player again if they just afforded it a consistent slot - but my theory is clearly being a little undermined by ratings like that.
    It was a repeat of an episode first shown as recently as May 2012.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really dismal night for ITV. I've always been convinced that WWTBAM could be a solid player again if they just afforded it a consistent slot - but my theory is clearly being a little undermined by ratings like that. And the Julian Fellowes piece afterwards is completely tanking.

Remember WWTBAM was a repeat though. I think with a decent slot new episodes could still do alright. It'll never be that big but as Summer filler for Saturday nights it could be OK.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Looks like the US version of Splash! won't be the worse thing ABC are airing this year:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/01/30/abc-greenlights-bet-on-your-baby-game-show/167329/

Then again they're also currently airing The Taste - which is essentially The Voice but with food.

Blimey, ABC is becoming worse than NBC.

I reckon Millionaire and Great Houses would double those figures on a Wednesday night. People just don't bother to tune into ITV on a Tuesday night post Emmerdale and the channel seem in no hurry to rectify the problem. I still think that a simple switch of days between Tuesday and Wednesday, so Tuesday airs the two hour dramas, would at least boost the night without Wednesday suffering too badly. We'll soon see as Midsomer Murders airs on Tuesday next week, albeit with an Emmerdale lead in.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    There doesn't appear to be any immediate plans to move Dallas. The latest schedule exchange issued today for w/c 9th February still has it listed for 9pm, but they've gone and added the word "New" to the programme title, as if that'll make any difference! They'll probably see how it goes the next couple of weeks before making any decision on it. Rory & Will however which tanked even worse on Monday will be pushed back to 7pm from episode 3 onwards, with countdown show Britain's Funniest Comedy Characters taking the 9pm slot on February 11.

Doesn't the new boss start at C5 this week or next? He's been chucked in at the deep end with all these underperforming shows.

NCIS was a very welcome returnee tonight and will surely post a good number, getting things back on track after a dreadful start to the week. Unfortunately ITV were running a new Midsomer Murders which always dents NCIS so it probably won't achieve its full potential. :mad:

It wouldn't surprise me if Dallas is bumped and CSI makes an early return or Person of Interest moved back to Tuesdays.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Perhaps five should consider when the networks show the strongest dramas. Dallas was up against death in paradise on tuesday. It would have found a less competitive slot on another evening and it is able to play at 8pm. Id have gone for thursdays at 9pm when the other channels are weaker. But I may have had a theme night for a few hours to launch it. Perhaps a tribute to hagman if possible just to signify the show was there. I dont quite know if dallas will remain for that many seasons. Nice to hear people enjoying it once again its just for me very much of its time and I couldn't get back into it as a full series. Hope for its fans it does survive but ratings matter to the comercial stations.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Blimey, ABC is becoming worse than NBC.

I reckon Millionaire and Great Houses would double those figures on a Wednesday night. People just don't bother to tune into ITV on a Tuesday night post Emmerdale and the channel seem in no hurry to rectify the problem. I still think that a simple switch of days between Tuesday and Wednesday, so Tuesday airs the two hour dramas, would at least boost the night without Wednesday suffering too badly. We'll soon see as Midsomer Murders airs on Tuesday next week, albeit with an Emmerdale lead in.
    Itv seem to not be challenging the other networks in this evening at all. There isn't even a immediate move to reverse the figures. They seem to give up on the slot too easily. Millionaire repeats should be aired away from peak and despite protests from the daytime audience id switch a few chase episodes if there was no other new programming. The chase would be an immediate replacement for that hour. Julian fellows programme is more suited to a sunday evening and id be inclined to sacrifice it to the family fortunes slot and move it to a thursday and have a double emmerdale on tuesdays until the share settled and other ideas came through. Emmerdale would take the march off bbc one populist schedule and probably pull down holby city or eastenders figures. I think tuesday is still an important evening for itv and should be made more popular and soapy while the bbc run away with the figures. Bbc twos figures should not become larger than itv and to quickly mend it for a few months I think the soaps should be in there battling for that audience. Family fortunes could be moved to thursday. An rather than two episodes ofucoronation street squandered on friday promote another to tuesday and distribute itvs biggest product and stop bbc two easily winning its slot.

Temporary tuesday fix

7pm emmerdale. 6 - 7 million

730 filler against eastenders repeat paul o grady for the love of dogs! 2 - 3 million

8pm emmerdale 5 - 6 million

830 coronation street episode from friday double
    episode

9pm the chase
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,809
    Forum Member
    Has the repeat of The One Show at lunch time had any impact on Loose Women's ratings?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC says series 3 of Sherlock to start filming in March.

Brendan O'Carroll confirms there will be two MBB Christmas specials but no new series in 2013.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    They have a better share % than any of your tv channels so :p

Well we don't have 400+ political parties, thank goodness :)
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From today's BSkyB results.
    The proportion of Sky households with fully-connected HD set-top boxes continues to grow. Just under half a million boxes (460,000) were activated in the quarter, taking the total number of connected boxes to 1.7 million. We expect to maintain good growth in this area in 2013.

The growth in the number of connected boxes, combined with the launch of Catch Up TV and the addition of BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and Demand Five, drove a marked increase in the usage of our On Demand service. Average weekly downloads more than doubled in the quarter from 1.8 million to 4.4 million by the end of December – more than four times the number of downloads 12 months earlier – with Sky content accounting for more than 50% of the downloads. The growth in connected boxes also led to an increase in the number of transactions through Sky Store, with total movie transactions surpassing 3 million in the quarter, up 25% year on year.

That's a lot of non-Sky downloads per week. Wonder when the BBC are going to include Sky's Catch Up service in their iPlayer figures?
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC says series 3 of Sherlock to start filming in March.

Brendan O'Carroll confirms there will be two MBB Christmas specials but no new series in 2013.

So then....

New Years Day 2014

6.00 movie premiere
    7.30 EE
    8.30 Sherlock
    10.00 Mrs Browns Boys (2/2)
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So then....

New Years Day 2014

6.00 movie premiere
    7.30 EE
    8.30 Sherlock
    10.00 Mrs Browns Boys (2/2)

Possible, certainly, but since they only make 3 episodes of Sherlock a year they will have finished filming Series 3 by July/August at the latest. There is not much post-production to do - certainly far less CGI for example than with the same production team's Doctor Who - so would the BBC really put Sherlock episodes on the shelf for five months?
This discussion has been closed.