What is it like to live in Dundee?

vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone here lives in/knows Dundee?

I'm due to move there soon for work, and would like to know which areas are nice to live in and which to avoid...also what is the general lifestyle like in the city? I've heard some pretty bad things abut it being rough etc. and other people have said it's a nice place.

I was up there visiting recently and it seemed OK, lively etc. Any views?

Comments

• TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    It's utter misery at the moment.

When Scotland goes independent later this year, no doubt it will become a cosmopolitan delight where dogs poo rainbows.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the term "shit hole" springs to mind.
    the old joke is what do you get if you pour hot water on a dundonian... a new flavour of pot noodle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Dundee.

I love it here :-) feel free to PM me
  • Cadbury QueenCadbury Queen Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I have lived here all my life and I love it. Can't understand why some knock Dundee as there is good and bad in every town/city, Dundee isn't as bad as some people make out. Dundee is improving all the time with the waterfront development underway and the new V&A coming so the centre will look amazing when it's done. Plenty of good bars and restaurants so you won't be stuck for choice, also there are 2 cinemas and an ice arena if you are in to that. :)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was there as a student and absolutely loved it! Really loved it and was very sad to leave. I'd move back in a heartbeat if my family weren't so far from it.

There are bits of town that are better than others of course, but I found it a really friendly city and was very happy there.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    You want to be living in Broughty Ferry really. Much of Dundee is sink estate. The town centre is nice and quite studenty.
    It's not too bad.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    You want to be living in Broughty Ferry really. Much of Dundee is sink estate. The town centre is nice and quite studenty.
    It's not too bad.

Or the Perth Road/Riverside area if the OP likes a more cosmopolitan environment (but both the Perth Road/Riverside and Broughty Ferry areas are expensive to buy/rent a house). As a Dundonian born, bread, and educated I would say that Dundee like any other city has its good areas and bad areas. But, one advantage that Dundee has over other cities, is that all the amenities are within easy reach, whereas in other cities the amenities are sprawled out all over the place.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have flown into Dundee Airport a few times over the years on my way to other parts of Scotland. :cool:

Dundee is a nice enough place.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know the city.But I've known a few Dundonians over the years.Their accent/slang is off the scale!.
    I think quite a few people commute from Perth to Dundee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived there for a few years.

Struggling to find much to say about it tbh. I got out alive, I suppose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Generally known as 'Scumdee'. You need a good bath and scrub when you leave the city. Stay away from Kirkton (bad bad place) and I agree that Broughty Ferry is a lovely place to live although a bit on the expensive side
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of a Welcome sign When you reach Dundee, there is one saying

Abandon all Hope ye that enter here.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reported in today's press that Dundee has the most ASBOs in Scotland.

Maybe because Lorraine Kelly lives there................
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like most places, if you avoid the rough looking council housing estates I am sure it will be fine.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live nearby. Some of it is ok. My niece lives there and calls is scumdee.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Reported in today's press that Dundee has the most ASBOs in Scotland.

Maybe because Lorraine Kelly lives there................

Actually, she lives in Broughty, next door to a pal of mine :)

I used to work in Dundee for about 18 months, and went up every couple of weeks. The town centre is nice, and certainly on the up. It looks a bit of a state, as there is so much regeneration work going on at the moment, but it is getting there.

I travelled by bus quite a lot, and there are an awful lot of shitty areas, but if you are going for a city centre flat, you'll be fine. As has been mentioned, Broughty Ferry is nice, but expensive. And Lorraine lives there.

There's quite a lot of public drunkenness at all times of day, though maybe not at a level that isn't 'normal for Scotland'. It is surrounded by some stunning countryside and views, though.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    It's a piece of cake.
  • megatron_manmegatron_man Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    full of drunks and junkies
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always think of living over the Bridge in Tayport, Newport or Wormit if you weren't sure about living in Dundee. The bus service is pretty good.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    You could always think of living over the Bridge in Tayport, Newport or Wormit if you weren't sure about living in Dundee. The bus service is pretty good.

The only problem with that is if the weather gets bad the Tay Rail and Road Bridges shut down and you have go the long way around to get to Dundee.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    The only problem with that is if the weather gets bad the Tay Rail and Road Bridges shut down and you have go the long way around to get to Dundee.

She can always walk over the bridge if she moves to Newport. Have done that hundreds of times. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lived here all my life and it's always been fine. I'm at uni here too. Would I move away? Yes, but not because of Dundee. I'd only leave because it's really all I know, I'd like to experience other places and also the industry I'm aiming to go into isn't really existent in Dundee. That said, if I found a job here I'd stay.

In terms of the people, I've never had any bother. Yes there are junkies (if you have a problem with this stay well away from a place called the Wellgate Centre, it's where they breed ;)) and it has it's rough areas but overall it's never been too bad for me. Actually, I've been doing some stuff with Uni that meant going to Glasgow (which I love) and i found that the people are actually a little bit nicer in Dundee. If someone bangs into you here, they apologize. In Glasgow, you go flying and it's your fault! Though, I'm not saying this had nothing to do with me being a student unsure of where the heck they were going!

In terms of where to live, I'd say stay away from the areas called Hilltown, Kirton and Douglas. Really if your new I'd agree with the others and say you should be looking at somewhere like the Perth Road/West End, though lots of it is student flats now. Other than that there are some lovely flats on a street called Baxter Park Terrace. It's actually where I lived in my early childhood so I am a bit biased. I'd love to live there again. But it's only a 20 minute max walk from the town, and has on street parking at what not, plus is on loads of bus routes.

Basically, I'm not going to sit here and say it's perfect. It's not. But really it's got a not too bad shopping centre in the Overgate (I work in the next there, it's nice enough.), nightlife's not too bad too. There are things it lacks, but I don't regret deciding to stay here for Uni rather than going off to Edinburgh or whatnot..
  • bcdeebcdee Posts: 317,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of nice places to stay in Dundee, it really depends on your needs. If you are looking to live in a flat in the city centre then City Quay or around the Perth Road are good choices. If you are looking for a family home it depends on your budget as to where to stay.

Dundee is only a small city and in general is friendlier than Edinburgh or Glasgow.

I didn't realise there were so many posters from Dundee on here :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just make sure your passport is up to date, as when Scotland goes independent you may have a problem returning to civilisation..:o
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I don't know the city.But I've known a few Dundonians over the years.Their accent/slang is off the scale!.
    I think quite a few people commute from Perth to Dundee.

I'm Edinburgh born and bred. I've worked in Dundee for the last 10 years and live a few miles out of town (Alyth).

I would NEVER move back to Edinbugh. Dundee and the surrounding area has more hours of sunshine than any other part of Scotland, has beautiful countryside on your doorstep and the people are much friendlier than Edinburgh.

Sure Dundee has it's dodgy areas and some dodgy people but what city doesn't?

U96 is right about the accent - you'll need to learn to at least understand Dundonian !