Options

Horrified by Jules and Matisse!

Comments

• Options
    mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further to this, when the kennel club introduced their 'ban' on certain moves, the RSPCA was asked to comment and said...
    " We think that this is a distraction from the main welfare concerns associated with the improper breeding of pedigree dogs.
    We'd like to see the Kennel Club concentrate its efforts in helping to bring an end to breathing difficulties, epilepsy, spinal problems and other serious health issues associated with pedigree dogs."

The other point to consider is that the kennel club has to take account of the physical capabilities of all breed types and of the skill level of all trainers. The rules against certain moves were specifically introduced to prevent issues with novice trainers. In this instance the trainer is very experienced and certainly knows her dogs physical capabilities better than a kennel club committee do.

One further point, the kennel club also introduced rules as part of the same initiative which ban dogs wearing costumes/clothes - perhaps all those celebrities with 'handbag' dogs should take note of that one!
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks as though they could be dropped from the final.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't see how. :confused:
  • Options
    HelenbemerryHelenbemerry Posts: 5,738
    Forum Member
    mandyxxxx wrote: »
    Further to this, when the kennel club introduced their 'ban' on certain moves, the RSPCA was asked to comment and said...
    " We think that this is a distraction from the main welfare concerns associated with the improper breeding of pedigree dogs.
    We'd like to see the Kennel Club concentrate its efforts in helping to bring an end to breathing difficulties, epilepsy, spinal problems and other serious health issues associated with pedigree dogs."

The other point to consider is that the kennel club has to take account of the physical capabilities of all breed types and of the skill level of all trainers. The rules against certain moves were specifically introduced to prevent issues with novice trainers. In this instance the trainer is very experienced and certainly knows her dogs physical capabilities better than a kennel club committee do.

One further point, the kennel club also introduced rules as part of the same initiative which ban dogs wearing costumes/clothes - perhaps all those celebrities with 'handbag' dogs should take note of that one!

I would imagine interbreeding, etc to make a dog look acceptable to the kennel club and the bad health the poor dogs suffer because of it is far more unacceptable than what they deem to be so
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where did that assertion come from? :confused:
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not
    The dogs are well loved and they are happy dogs
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rubbish
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not
    The dogs are well loved and they are happy dogs

It didn't look too happy at the beginning of the act, doing handstands and 3 legged stunts, its tail was tucked underneath, admittedly it did perk up later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    It didn't look too happy at the beginning of the act, doing handstands and 3 legged stunts, its tail was tucked underneath, admittedly it did perk up later.

It looked happy to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt uneasy watching the dog last night, and i doubt if the RSPCA were too impressed either.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    Any womble can see the dog is loved and cared for, I have seen the dogs tail waggying, I also have Jules on facebook, and the pictures on there comfirm how happy Matisse is.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that they must had RSPCA people advise and they must of been ok with it.
    Anyway if any of the dogs were not happy they would not perform,they would just shoot of off stage or just stand on stage and do nothing at all
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt uneasy watching the dog last night, and i doubt if the RSPCA were too impressed either.

Please please will you tell me where your claim comes from.:)
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always someone has to moan,in no way was anything cruel,the dogs were obviously happy and well loved.
    Also I thought they were better than Pudsey,the dog getting in that kennel opening and closing door afterwards was brilliant,as was the reverse into the sack in first audition.
  • Options
    FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all very unnatural to me when they put all their weight on two limbs when they are naturally designed to have their weight distributed over all four of their limbs.

When professional dancers like Craig Revel Horwood need Hip replacements from their dancing careers is ok because it was his choice to go into this career.
    When the dancing dogs need hip replacements or get arthritis it wasn't their choice to do do hours and hours of dancing practice despite how happy they seem to be at the time. Some owners will just have the dog put down due to "quality of life".

Bear dancing is a no no so why allow any animal dancing I never know.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tawny wrote: »
    I thought they were much better than Ashley & Pudsey

In what way, exactly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firespire wrote: »
    It's all very unnatural to me when they put all their weight on two limbs when they are naturally designed to have their weight distributed over all four of their limbs.

When professional dancers like Craig Revel Horwood need Hip replacements from their dancing careers is ok because it was his choice to go into this career.
    When the dancing dogs need hip replacements or get arthritis it wasn't their choice to do do hours and hours of dancing practice despite how happy they seem to be at the time. Some owners will just have the dog put down due to "quality of life".

It IS the dog's choice to perform. It wouldn't do it if it didn't like to do it.
  • Options
    GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It IS the dog's choice to perform. It wouldn't do it if it didn't like to do it.

I think when dogs are so devoted to their humans they would do anything for them. I have a friend who has a Border Collie and that dog is extremely attached to my friend. He would probably do anything for her even if it meant him suffering pain or discomfort.

Then you have dogs who have been trained using aversive and punitive training methods. Those dogs would be too frightened to do anything other than what they are being told to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    I think when dogs are so devoted to their humans they would do anything for them. I have a friend who has a Border Collie and that dog is extremely attached to my friend. He would probably do anything for her even if it meant him suffering pain or discomfort.

Then you have dogs who have been trained using aversive and punitive training methods. Those dogs would be too frightened to do anything other than what they are being told to do.

Does Jules look like someone who'd mistreat her dogs to you?

She doesn't to me.
  • Options
    babyshezbabyshez Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mandyxxxx wrote: »

THIS!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Jules look like someone who'd mistreat her dogs to you?

She doesn't to me.

No she doesn't, but you can't tell by looks alone if somebody abuses their dog. What you can tell is the way their dog acts if they are frightened or not. Matisse had soft and relaxed body language and seemed to enjoy being on stage. That would indicate that he has not been abused. A dog that has been 'shut down' with fear will just look withdrawn and be almost robotic in their actions. Their body language won't look relaxed either. What I said was that there are some dogs who are devoted to their humans in a positive way and then there are dogs that have been trained using pain and intimidation and are too scared to do anything wrong.

Just look at Cesar Millan. You wouldn't think that a polite, amiable Mexican with a dazzling white smile would abuse dogs, but he kicks, hits, yanks and shocks dogs into obeying him.
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonGirl wrote: »

It would do what you tell it to, but out of fear, it certainly wouldn't be wagging it's tail, bouncing about and fawning over its owner. You can see when a dog is doing something happily and and willingly and when it's not.

A dog isn't any more likely to get arthritis dancing than it is to go swimming, splashing in rivers, chasing squirrels or digging rabbit holes, in fact if anything, it is more likely to prevent them getting it, as it keeps them exercised and flexible, rather than sat at home on the sofa all day. There is nothing whatsoever cruel in dog dancing, you can't compare a domesticcated pet dog, who is naturally meant to work alongside people, with circus lions, bears and elephants, which are wild animals and naturally aren't. Dog love this type of sport, their trained using fun, rewarding methods, and they start going crazy with excitement when they see the 'props' and music come out, as they know their about to do something they love!

There is no way they would do any of the movements if they didn't want to, no matter how much you coax them, they have to want to do it. Some dogs just don't want to, and handlers don't force them as they known you will never get 100% out of something if it's not happy and it's not fair on the dog. Other dogs though, love the chance of showing off, being in the limelight and performing and are never happier than when they've got an audience. Like any other dog sport, it's about finding something that's right for you and your dog, that you both enjoy doing. I've got a border collie, I tried showing with her and she hated it so I gave that up and found something else that she did enjoy instead. She does agility and dancing, and can do many of the moves Matisse can, including handstands, walking on her back legs and spinning/rebounding off me. She loves doing this, she starts jumping about and barking in excitment when she's training, and would keep going for hours if I let her!

Border collies are working dogs, their designed to do a job, and their workaholics, able to do hours of work a day. They need a 'job' to do to keep their body and mind occupied otherwise they go mental, destructive and even aggressive. Their meant to work alongside someone and thrive on having a task to do. Unlike other breeds, their also physically designed to be agile, able to turn and twist instantly on the spot, to stop runaway sheep, so turning and twisting around doing dancing is only the same as what they'd be doing naturally out in the fields. Their practically built for dog sports, which is why their so good at them. Teaching them to dance isn't 'cruel and degrading' it's giving them something positive to do which lets them work alongside their owner, gives them a real workout and really tests their brain, and that is border collie utopia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a border collie, I tried showing with her and she hated it so I gave that up and found something else that she did enjoy instead. She does agility and dancing, and can do many of the moves Matisse can, including handstands, walking on her back legs and spinning/rebounding off me. She loves doing this, she starts jumping about and barking in excitment when she's training, and would keep going for hours if I let her!

Why don't you go on Britain's Got Talent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would do what you tell it to, but out of fear, it certainly wouldn't be wagging it's tail, bouncing about and fawning over its owner. You can see when a dog is doing something happily and and willingly and when it's not.

A dog isn't any more likely to get arthritis dancing than it is to go swimming, splashing in rivers, chasing squirrels or digging rabbit holes, in fact if anything, it is more likely to prevent them getting it, as it keeps them exercised and flexible, rather than sat at home on the sofa all day. There is nothing whatsoever cruel in dog dancing, you can't compare a domesticcated pet dog, who is naturally meant to work alongside people, with circus lions, bears and elephants, which are wild animals and naturally aren't. Dog love this type of sport, their trained using fun, rewarding methods, and they start going crazy with excitement when they see the 'props' and music come out, as they know their about to do something they love!

There is no way they would do any of the movements if they didn't want to, no matter how much you coax them, they have to want to do it. Some dogs just don't want to, and handlers don't force them as they known you will never get 100% out of something if it's not happy and it's not fair on the dog. Other dogs though, love the chance of showing off, being in the limelight and performing and are never happier than when they've got an audience. Like any other dog sport, it's about finding something that's right for you and your dog, that you both enjoy doing. I've got a border collie, I tried showing with her and she hated it so I gave that up and found something else that she did enjoy instead. She does agility and dancing, and can do many of the moves Matisse can, including handstands, walking on her back legs and spinning/rebounding off me. She loves doing this, she starts jumping about and barking in excitment when she's training, and would keep going for hours if I let her!

Border collies are working dogs, their designed to do a job, and their workaholics, able to do hours of work a day. They need a 'job' to do to keep their body and mind occupied otherwise they go mental, destructive and even aggressive. Their meant to work alongside someone and thrive on having a task to do. Unlike other breeds, their also physically designed to be agile, able to turn and twist instantly on the spot, to stop runaway sheep, so turning and twisting around doing dancing is only the same as what they'd be doing naturally out in the fields. Their practically built for dog sports, which is why their so good at them. Teaching them to dance isn't 'cruel and degrading' it's giving them something positive to do which lets them work alongside their owner, gives them a real workout and really tests their brain, and that is border collie utopia.

I did say that I thought that Matisse looked relaxed and was enjoying being on stage in my second post. And good for you for giving your dog a great and happy life. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some on here are really gullable.