Options

Horrified by Jules and Matisse!

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Me too, I didn't like the act, it seemed cruel to make the dog do handstands and some of the other moves.

That was the impression we had here last night.

More to the point though, why, oh why,do people try to exchange "kisses"with their dogs. Given how dogs use their tongue to groom themselves, who knows what can be pass on.

Talking to a neighbour this morning who was actually quite angry, and, tbh,with good reason.They had lost a 4-week old grandchild a few years ago when the child was found to have an infection that could only have been caused by such contact with a dog.

Far-fetched? Well, who am I to judge, but given that the poor child was hospitalised at Great Ormond Street, one would have to assume that the doctors there knew what they were saying.
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you go on Britain's Got Talent?

Its not my cup of tea, I don't like the limelight and couldn't stand being on stage in front of all those people:o I train my dog purely for fun, to give her something to do, and because her and me enjoy it. Don't mind a local village fete or something, but no bigger and definitely not BGT size!:p
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More to the point though, why, oh why,do people try to exchange "kisses"with their dogs. Given how dogs use their tongue to groom themselves, who knows what can be pass on.

Talking to a neighbour this morning who was actually quite angry, and, tbh,with good reason.They had lost a 4-week old grandchild a few years ago when the child was found to have an infection that could only have been caused by such contact with a dog.

Far-fetched? Well, who am I to judge, but given that the poor child was hospitalised at Great Ormond Street, one would have to assume that the doctors there knew what they were saying.

I would say that's far fetched as I don't see how the doctors can deduce a dog's lick being the cause of the infection. They could say it started around the mouth maybe but to be that specific is unlikely.

Besides children who grow up with pets tend to have better immune systems then those without.
  • Options
    GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have gotten some terrible viral infections from other people and not to mention some things picked up from using public toilets!

I have had one of my dogs for almost two years and the other one for more than three-and-a-half years. They kiss me daily and I haven't been ill because of it. I did however pass on one of my stomach bugs to my (then only) dog. I had been really sick one morning and tried to eat a slice of toast, but couldn't eat all of it. I gave what I couldn't eat to him and not long afterwards he was at the door desperate to go out and he had a really upset stomach as well. He had been absolutely fine before I gave him the toast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I would say that's far fetched as I don't see how the doctors can deduce a dog's lick being the cause of the infection. They could say it started around the mouth maybe but to be that specific is unlikely.

Besides children who grow up with pets tend to have better immune systems then those without.

Apparently, and not surprisingly, the doctors did know what they were talking about and the infection, whatever, was something like toxicaris or a similar name that could be transmitted in the womb after the mother became infected.. Definitely canine related. Sufficiently scared the family to get rid of their dogs anyway.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, and not surprisingly, the doctors did know what they were talking about and the infection, whatever, was something like toxicaris or a similar name that could be transmitted in the womb after the mother became infected.. Definitely canine related. Sufficiently scared the family to get rid of their dogs anyway.

Well that's a different scenario you've supplied to being licked on the face. Toxocara is worms usually via Faeces. Dogs should be regularly wormed to prevent this. So in essence it's the worms not the dog and the owners for not worming their dogs. I, umm wouldn't be saying this to the parents directly though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Toxocariasis? That is caused by roundworms ( both dogs and cats) and is passed on to people, but if you worm your pet regularly, it won't get them. They seriously got rid of their dogs instead of just making sure their worming treatment was kept up to date?:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it was toxocariasis then that would probably be because of the dog either not being wormed at all or not being wormed regularly enough. Shame on them for 'getting rid' of their dogs for something that was their fault.

Heck the mother might not have even contracted it after touching her own dogs. She might have picked it up outside when she was maybe gardening and there was maybe cat poo (that can also contain toxocariasis) lying about or she might have come into contact with faeces in some other way. To discard their dogs like that wasn't necessary at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Well that's a different scenario you've supplied to being licked on the face. Toxocara is worms usually via Faeces. Dogs should be regularly wormed to prevent this. So in essence it's the worms not the dog and the owners for not worming their dogs. I, umm wouldn't be saying this to the parents directly though.

Not really the point, I only raised it as an illustration of what can go wrong with dogs in certain circumstances. In this case, I do know that the mother had always been "affectionate" with her dogs, I do know that she regularly exchanged "kisses" and so on.

I don't know the exact disease, although effects were tragic. One has to assume that skilled medics do and did know exacltly wht they were dealing with and were not just guesing.

I do not know if the dog had licked it's nether regions, (as so many dogs do), prior to any of the "affection".

I do know that, from being life long dog lovers, the couple totally turned against dogs. Happily they now have two quite charming, and above all, healthy, small children now.

Some folk may get away with the dubious hygiene of dogs, who knows, but when things go wrong they can go terribly, tragically wrong.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you must always give your pets preventative flea and worm medication,which is from your vet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really the point, I only raised it as an illustration of what can go wrong with dogs in certain circumstances. In this case, I do know that the mother had always been "affectionate" with her dogs, I do know that she regularly exchanged "kisses" and so on.

I don't know the exact disease, although effects were tragic.

I do not know if the dog had licked it's nether regions, (as so many dogs do), prior to any of the "affection".

I do know that, from being life long dog lovers, the couple totally turned against dogs. Happily they now have two quite charming, and above all, healthy small children now.

Some folk may get away with the dubious hygiene of dogs, who knows, but whe things go wrong they can go terribly, tragically wrong.

So they have turned against dogs for something that was their own fault? Instead of ensuring their dog's wellbeing by worming them regularly (it is recommended they get wormed once every three months - which is what my dogs get) and by practising good hygiene standards such as regular hand washing and keeping their dogs clean. They pinned all the blame on the dogs and rid themselves of them. :mad:

When I get in from walking my dogs I will wipe their feet with a clean towel and then wash my hands. My dogs are also showered a couple of times a month and are well groomed in between showers. So perhaps it's the people who take care of their dogs and their own health who don't become ill.

As for the dubious hygiene of dogs. There are plenty of people out there with questionable standards of hygiene and who go around spreading their germs and viruses by not being hygienic enough. Besides you are more likely to catch something from your own species than by interspecies transmission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you must always give your pets preventative flea and worm medication,which is from your vet

I'm with you on the worming, but not the anti-flea treatments. I have a Greyhound and a Lurcher (Greyhound mix). Greyhounds can be very sensitive to anti-flea treatments and many have died or developed neurological problems because of the treatment. My vet actually advised against anti-flea treatments for my two. With Greyhounds and other sight hounds it should only be done if absolutely necessary. My two have never had fleas and I think that's because of the fact that I keep them and the house clean and that they get a good quality diet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I give my doggie flea treatment etc once a month
    Coming back from walks it is baby wipes on my doggie paws if that wipes is very dirty then comes doggie wipes
    Use towel too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that Matisse jumps up for cuddles that is what my doggie does must be the border collie in her she is a Collie cross and has us under her paws:p
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP buggers off after trying to create controversy when there isn't any. Come back and explain yourself don't go into hiding.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Of Me wrote: »
    OP buggers off after trying to create controversy when there isn't any. Come back and explain yourself don't go into hiding.

I wonder if the OP is a show producer worried that Jules & Matisse will win instead of UDI?
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the OP is a show producer worried that Jules & Matisse will win instead of UDI?

i hope that the Welsh choir beat the both of them which would be great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know the exact disease, although effects were tragic. One has to assume that skilled medics do and did know exacltly wht they were dealing with and were not just guesing.

I do know that, from being life long dog lovers, the couple totally turned against dogs. Happily they now have two quite charming, and above all, healthy, small children now.

Some folk may get away with the dubious hygiene of dogs, who knows, but when things go wrong they can go terribly, tragically wrong.

Life long dog lovers and they didn't even bother with the basic approach of worming their dogs? And got shut of them for something that was their own fault and so easily prevented?>:(
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    I'm with you on the worming, but not the anti-flea treatments. I have a Greyhound and a Lurcher (Greyhound mix). Greyhounds can be very sensitive to anti-flea treatments and many have died or developed neurological problems because of the treatment. My vet actually advised against anti-flea treatments for my two. With Greyhounds and other sight hounds it should only be done if absolutely necessary. My two have never had fleas and I think that's because of the fact that I keep them and the house clean and that they get a good quality diet.

GibsonGirl, if you can't give chemical flea treatments, have you tried Billy-No-Mates? A friend and customer of mine uses it for a dog with very bad skin compalints, and has great success with it. It's herbal and natural so has no chemicals or anything in it, you just sprinkle it into their food:). Take it from me, prevention is far far better than cure!!:p
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Could you please reply to post 39.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life long dog lovers and they didn't even bother with the basic approach of worming their dogs? And got shut of them for something that was their own fault and so easily prevented?>:(

Forgive me for saying this but that is an insensitive and thoughtless post. Neither you nor I know how they treated their dogs.

Neither you nor I know exactly how an infection, spread through the womb, was encountered.

Neither you nor I have the knowledge, or indeed the skill, to second guess doctors at one of the finest children's hospitals in the country who, in their clinical judgement diagnosed that the specific infection/disease had been transmitted from a dog.

Most assuredly, neither you nor I can sit on judgement on a couple of grieving young parents who felt that, in the aftermath of their tragic loss, the only thing to do was to make sure that dogs were no longer to be part of their life.

Many people, I suspect, the majority, would sympathise with them and agree that they had made the correct decision.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Welsh choir will only win if everybody in Wales votes for them and they're votes will be split between those who prefer other acts.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Welsh choir will only win if everybody in Wales votes for them and they're votes will be split between those who prefer other acts.

They will also get a lot of votes from Revelation Avenue fans too if of course Revelation Avenue don't get the wildcard which they are widely tipped to do.
  • Options
    TaintedmeatTaintedmeat Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was quite upsetting to see the poor thing absolutely exhausted behind the scenes after the show expected to be up at that time of night .
  • Options
    Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next year perhaps we will be back to performing bears ... it's unbelievable to me to see how some people disrespect and use animals. I wish they would watch Monkey Life to see how animals should be treated.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a revolting sight seeing dogs slobbering and licking the owners' mouths
    They were probably licking their nether regions before that.
    Why do parents think it's a good thing to let dogs slobber over a young baby's face?
    I don't think pets of any kind should have a place in the family home until children are aware of how to care for them, probably at 8-10 years
    Letting dogs near babies and toddlers is a recipe for potential disaster, dogs can become jealous or irritable and suddenly react .
    It's impossible to be looking over the child every minute of the day, hence the number of tragedies