Options

The Grand National - Cruel ?

late8late8 Posts: 7,175
Forum Member
Yet again more horses have gone down at the GN. Two fences "bypassed" as a horse laid dead and another screened off by vets mid race.

I wont go into details of what kind of scene it is when a race horse is down with a broken neck, legs or puncture wound but It seems to me they push it too far.
Personally I always think the fences are way too high.

Comments

• Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that horse racing is cruel to the horses but however animals are kept there is always the risk of injury. Obviously racing in the GN increases the risk of injury. It's a real shame about the horse you've said died. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do think that horse racing is cruel to the horses but however animals are kept there is always the risk of injury. Obviously racing in the GN increases the risk of injury. It's a real shame about the horse you've said died. :(

think its two now - the winner didn't look good either.
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    I feel sad now - hope those horses weren't one of the ones we betted on, poor things.:cry:
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    think its two now - the winner didn't look good either.

I did think that something was wrong with that horse. Just a lot of fuss over it, more than I think is usual.
  • Options
    petra12petra12 Posts: 1,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sick now , i really do its just to cruel !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    It is nasty putting the horses through all that. Definitely should be banned.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see the dead horses, but my mum says she saw three lying dead?:( I'm in two minds, on one side my cousin is a jockey and I know how racehorses are treated better than some people, But when you see things like that it is cruel.
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Won't somebody please think of the horses :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petra12 wrote: »
    I feel sick now , i really do its just to cruel !

Did you watch it?
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    It is nasty putting the horses through all that. Definitely should be banned.

That poor horse is de-hydrated, I hope he is ok. Too hot for them and the jockey was using the whip. I hate it.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must be a harrowing experience for you. It would only affect me if I'd placed a bet on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The winner is OK .....

- apart from its very dehydrated and hot so was sent to the stable for water and oxygen.:eek::rolleyes:

No mention of the other horses that didn't make it- as normal its brushed aside.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    That poor horse is de-hydrated, I hope he is ok. Too hot for them and the jockey was using the whip. I hate it.

So you watched it then, even though you hate it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC don't seem to be reporting even though loads of people saw it. Would imagine it's quite upsetting for children watching.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same horror stories year after year - and still nothing has been done.

it's all down to money in the end isn't it?
    The Grand National is big business. There are millions involved for the racehorse owners, the organisers, the bookies etc. There are very powerful people at the top who won't allow all that revenue to disappear just because it's cruel.
    They don't care about the horses. All they care about is making money and they'll never allow it to stop. :mad:
  • Options
    petra12petra12 Posts: 1,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Did you watch it?
    Hubby got it on i am on here ! he is trying tell me what is happening and i am like NO dont want know !:(
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should lower the fences by 50% and ban the use of the whip.
  • Options
    TenpeTenpe Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6th fence. Beechers Brook seems to be the one's everyone is talking about. There seemed to be three horses which didn't get up. They should lower the height of the fences, I believe
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    They should wrap the horses up in cotton wool and never race them again for fear that they might get hurt !
  • Options
    Arthur.CrumbleArthur.Crumble Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IF only these Horses had been shot through the head with a steel bolt in a homely abbatoir..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tenpe wrote: »
    6th fence. Beechers Brook seems to be the one's everyone is talking about. There seemed to be three horses which didn't get up. They should lower the height of the fences, I believe

They bypassed Bechers the second time which I thought was odd, but my mum says you could actually see the horse covered over:(
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Grand National, sponsored by Bostik.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - absolutely it is cruel. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The people who support it care about nothing but money.

http://www.horsedeathwatch.com/
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should lower the fences by 50% and ban the use of the whip.

Indeed. Don't know why they have to be so high, anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They bypassed Bechers the second time which I thought was odd, but my mum says you could actually see the horse covered over:(

yes It broke its neck.

Another that was down suffered multiple hits in the face and was out cold.

If you watch a lot of the time the fall onto the head and the neck bends under the horse- some get op - some don't.