George Gently

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    I've watched the first half hour and apart from having their mitts all over the GP's car and then saying 'Call forensics', I can't remember many people saying 'Have I got time for a shower' in 1969.

That was what Americans did.

To be fair, when Baccus closed the driver's door, he had the palm of his hand flat on the top edge, so as not to cover any finger prints with his own.

As for showers we had "walk through" showers in our school in the fifties, which was built in the late thirties. I would imagine they weren't uncommon in some police stations in the sixties.
  • dollymix53dollymix53 Posts: 9,108
    Forum Member
    This is the first series I've watched and really enjoying it, how times have changed, how much they smoke and after drinking so much next thing they are driving!! Not only this prog but any from that era.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, when Baccus closed the driver's door, he had the palm of his hand flat on the top edge, so as not to cover any finger prints with his own.

As for showers we had "walk through" showers in our school in the fifties, which was built in the late thirties. I would imagine they weren't uncommon in some police stations in the sixties.

Agree. I went to a fifties built school in early seventies and there were walk through showers in the gym. This GG was set in 1969.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member

He opened the door using the handle, both drivers from outside initially and the passenger from inside. He also took the keys from her pocket with bare hands.

I had walk through showers at school - they were mandatory after PE and Games, but it was a chore. People did not do it as a routine.
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im bored with the "old man/young man" routine doing the rounds of detective dramas...like Frost and Lewis etc. Come to think of it theres the old woman/young man in Vera too.
    Its a bit simplistic and looks like an over obvious appeal to two age groups.
    Cant they think of anything else less of a stereotype?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Agree. I went to a fifties built school in early seventies and there were walk through showers in the gym. This GG was set in 1969.

We had walk-through showers in the gym as early as 1955 and those showers were by no means newly installed then. I think our sports master was a sadist as he always turned down the heat on the shower to cold.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes many of us had walk through showers at school, and maybe they had them at police stations, too.

However, Gently was arriving back at his home after his morning run, not the police station.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I hope Rachel will get a clear result from a lung biopsy.
    I understood her to say that she wouldn't have one because as there's no cure there's little point. That's why she'll be living with the uncertainty. (It makes a dramatic point because every time she gets a cough she'll be scared her time has come!)
    Yes, unless there's a perverse storyline as there's only a couple of episodes to go and there won't be any more, so we're told.
    Shame she "came late to the party," I like her.
    The 'I'm not going anywhere' was a bad sign. But the BBC would be mad to stop making the series given the ratings and it's marketability overseas; though they might do a 'Lewis' as a continuation. The introduction of Rachel is an obvious setup for pursuing such an option.
    ... I can't remember many people saying 'Have I got time for a shower' in 1969.
    Gently has always been represented as somewhat cosmopolitan, being a copper from the Met and having had an Italian wife. Same reason they had him making a spagbol for his evening meal last week (interesting they found Dr Cullen and his Swiss girlfriend in an Italian restaurant).

Another good episode with a concentration on character development; both Bacchus and Coles and their relationship took major strides forward. The introduction of Rachel has added a welcome strand of humour into the series and I laughed out loud at some of the interactions between her and John.

There's a danger of Rachel being too perfect. I noticed she's not a drinker, but she's already under pressure to start 'now she's in CID'. She said she didn't know how she'd cope with the uncertainty of her potential illness and alcohol is well-used as a coping mechanism (though only by giving the illusion temporarily). This can easily become misused and alcoholism is a common trope for TV detectives.

Conversely, it has been difficult to see recently why Gently so rates Bacchus as a policeman. This is partly because of the need to show Gently as the top cop and to establish Coles' capabilities so someone has to be wrong in contrast. Good to see him being effective this week and a nice contrast between George's thoughtful, Rachel's logical and Bacchus' instinctive styles.

I laughed at Rachel at the bar checking she wasn't showing too much at the back with her rather short dress. Dressed to the nines for a drink with work-colleagues; who did she dress like that for? She's obviously lonely so might have taken the opportunity to attract some male interest; but she might have a thing for John (an obvious storyline). She's watched him enough to notice his vanity, and despite the way he's treated her she's always disappointed when he's horrible to her again. We'll see.

John, however, has evinced little interest in her. Granted he's currently in love, but that didn't stop him stepping forward for a good look at that rather pretty nurse!
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bit I don't really feel rings true is that Baccus is portrayed as a bigoted, not very bright individual who in the last two episodes has jumped to the easy conclusion straight away - and yet he is getting promoted to Inspector and Gently feels is a priviledge to work with him....
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    The bit I don't really feel rings true is that Baccus is portrayed as a bigoted, not very bright individual who in the last two episodes has jumped to the easy conclusion straight away - and yet he is getting promoted to Inspector and Gently feels is a priviledge to work with him....

I agree. Even in the so called 'dim and distant past' you had to have a little bit of nous to get to Inspector status. Being so angry and so bigoted with everyone would not have got much of a result. It is not a case of being PC, it is a case of knowing what would get results.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Even in the so called 'dim and distant past' you had to have a little bit of nous to get to Inspector status. Being so angry and so bigoted with everyone would not have got much of a result. It is not a case of being PC, it is a case of knowing what would get results.

Well think back to Midsomer, Sgt. Jones was portrayed as a bit thick on several occasions.
    I think this is a "ploy" to big up the perceived intelligence of the main lead.

At least Gently isn't like Midsomer, where Barney Bee dragged all the evidence together every time in "the ten minutes of the programme which was never screened."
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the name of the actress with the red hair and green dress again?

It's driving me potty atm.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    What's the name of the actress with the red hair and green dress again?

It's driving me potty atm.

It's her who was Molly Hooper in Sherlock. It's taken me til now to twig that. :blush:
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    It's her who was Molly Hooper in Sherlock. It's taken me til now to twig that. :blush:

Oh my goodness! So it is.:D
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vic Reeves only had a small role. That surprised me. He was so creepy and sinister in his pawn shop that I was expecting we'd see more of him as the tale evolved.
  • prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,091
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »

It was Louise Brealey. I remember her from Casualty as well - she used to call herself 'Loo Brealey' in those days.

Louise Brealey imdb entry

On another note, I enjoyed tonight's but was a bit disappointed that Gently didn't put more effort into disproving the obviously false statements of those 2 employees who turned up at the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is working its way to a conclusion, in the last ever episode next week.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    It was boring. ANother mundane detective drama. Only watched it because it was filmed where i live
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood why the show keeps trying to push the idea that John is a sex symbol to women, and apparently now gay men. I'm a woman and the last thing I think is that he's attractive in looks or personality. I'm being shallow, but after so many series it's something I've continously rolled my eyes at.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Im bored with the "old man/young man" routine doing the rounds of detective dramas...like Frost and Lewis etc. Come to think of it theres the old woman/young man in Vera too.
    Its a bit simplistic and looks like an over obvious appeal to two age groups.
    Cant they think of anything else less of a stereotype?

Or could it just be that a Chief Superintendant is more likely to be much older than a Sergent, for example, as age and experience is very likely to have some bearing on their suitability for promotion to that level.......
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    It was boring. ANother mundane detective drama. Only watched it because it was filmed where i live

Well! boo hoo to you, thankfully an awful lot of people disagree with you. I hear corries getting heated, perhaps you will enjoy that.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think line dancing was a 60s thing, it was big in the 90s.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I don't think line dancing was a 60s thing, it was big in the 90s.

There was no such place as Bangladesh, either.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    There was no such place as Bangladesh, either.

I noticed that but wasn't sure, also were Rolexes popular then?. Just heard on Ken Bruce radio 2 show, someone else comment about the line dancing, they also said the policewoman was wearing the wrong bra?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I've never understood why the show keeps trying to push the idea that John is a sex symbol to women, and apparently now gay men. I'm a woman and the last thing I think is that he's attractive in looks or personality. I'm being shallow, but after so many series it's something I've continously rolled my eyes at.
    The show does show plenty of women not impressed with John at all and apart from his wife, a nurse when he was shot, Gemma and (possibly) Rachel there hasn't been much interest over 9 years! As for the pawnbroker, he was probably just winding him up.

They do seem to be increasingly hinting at romantic interest in him from Rachel. Whether this goes any further or it's just cover for some switcheroo we'll have to wait and see. Gemma's return could be there to set up an unrequited love interest storyline; but I suspect given next week is the last ep of this season and possibly the series as a whole that there's going to be a tragic outcome. This could lead Bacchus to the dark side, with Rachel stoping him going over the edge.

After last week's triumph this was a bit of a failure for Gently's by-the-book policing, whereas Bacchus' less, er, orthodox approach got results. Interesting watching Rachel compromise herself to protect Mrs Parker; it's not Bacchus himself that scares her but what he might lead her into! Good source of moral conflict within and between the characters.