Radio Borders/Bauer's Axing = Community Radio Gain

13»

Comments

• dgh69dgh69 Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    It's kinda obvious at times - all the phone ins are people in Edinburgh or Glasgow :D
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    That's why it baffles me that Bauer should choose, for a network programme, one with maximum audience interaction. But I accept there's probably a bid to create appointment to listen programming at times people wouldn't normally tune in to the radio.

Incidentally, on the cross-promotion of Bauer's magazine titles, is this because they can't sell the advertising space, or that there are too many ad spaces for such a small area? I haven't noticed anything like that on Clyde 1, but occasionally hear a few house ads on West FM.

And on the subject of greed ... oh please. The clue is in the phrase 'commercial radio'. The company is entitled to make as much money as it humanly can from the gamble it takes in getting involved in business in the first place.
  • New ListenerNew Listener Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    dgh69 wrote: »
    It's kinda obvious at times - all the phone ins are people in Edinburgh or Glasgow :D

To be honest, I pay no attention to callers, I tune in for the music :D
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I suspect there will be more cuts to be made - stay tuned to find out. I have my own ideas about what will be next, but I will keep those thoughts to myself at the moment.

I did predict at the end of last year that Grant Stott would host a networked FM show from Edinburgh.
    Forum Member
    I did predict at the end of last year that Grant Stott would host a networked FM show from Edinburgh.

...and??
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    ...and??

through speculation from other DS users.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    through speculation from other DS users.

Stabbing at the dark then! :rolleyes: Stott has filled in robin galloway's sunday show once or twice only on the network.
    Forum Member
    Stabbing at the dark then! :rolleyes:

Exactly! And the '...and?' was meant like '...and your point is...?' :rolleyes:

Just because somethings provided on the network it doesn't seem like a station HAS to take it, like MFR not taking Romeo or the Saturday chart, or Radio Borders not taking Galloway Sunday...
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because somethings provided on the network it doesn't seem like a station HAS to take it, like MFR not taking Romeo or the Saturday chart, or Radio Borders not taking Galloway Sunday...

Everyone has to take the networking as instructed by bauer except the odd exception! It's not a case of 'there is networking take it if you want!' MFR and RB are the two red-herrings really compared to Clyde, Forth etc.

MFR is more beneficial up there it seems to have local programming instead of the In Demand strand. Similarily RB audience would probably prefer the traditional Golden Brown programme. things can/may change though.

Nice to see RB tonight covering the Crucial Boroughmuir v Melrose rugby tonight, instead of In Demand. Although they were planning to switch to Glasgow at 9pm, the game etc ran over so coverage continued till about 9.45pm with 2/3 songs to take up to news at 10.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was up visiting Kelso and Galashiels the other day, and was surprised at how good Radio Borders still sounds compared to the other Bauer stations in the group. Sitting in the car in a carpark in Kelso eating lunch and on Radio Borders they crossed live to a man reporting from the Kelso races just before the 2pm news, then they said they will go back to him for another update at 2.30pm. And the music is different to the other stations in the group, yes they play the modern stuff that's in the charts, but they still played a lot of 80's and 90's songs, which Metro Radio (where I live) gave a up playing a long time ago- it is now nearly just all chart music, the same goes for TFM, Key 103, etc.. etc...

Radio Borders does sound like a bit behind or backwards compared to it's English versions, in the Bauer group but this is not a bad thing.
    Forum Member
    Everyone has to take the networking as instructed by bauer except the odd exception! It's not a case of 'there is networking take it if you want!' MFR and RB are the two red-herrings really compared to Clyde, Forth etc.

You know this for a fact? If that was the case then MFR, Radio Borders and Northsound One would take all the networked programming and we in the Borders would get Galloway Sunday instead of Hugh Brown.
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know this for a fact? If that was the case then MFR, Radio Borders and Northsound One would take all the networked programming and we in the Borders would get Galloway Sunday instead of Hugh Brown.

And add to that Radio Borders wouldn't be able to opt-out of the likes of In Demand and the Big Top 40 Show to cover rugby. I had a listen to Galloway Sunday en-route to Glasgow for the Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden last weekend and wasn't all that impressed by what I heard out of the speakers, to be honest - it was just retreads of what he used to do at Real Radio, right down to the crank calls. The rest of Scotland are welcome to Mr Galloway - we'll stick with Hugh Brown, thankyou very much! :)
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Radio Borders does sound like a bit behind or backwards compared to it's English versions, in the Bauer group but this is not a bad thing.

I suppose both MFR and RB still sound 'original' because they haven't split frequencies; by means that they are not accompanied by a sister AM stations which may result on them playing 50% 80's classics as well as 50% chart music.. wonder why they didn't go for an AM frequency service..

Another interesting thing that I've noticed is that Indemand do at times mix up the station sweepers.. How can that be possible?
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose both MFR and RB still sound 'original' because they haven't split frequencies; by means that they are not accompanied by a sister AM stations which may result on them playing 50% 80's classics as well as 50% chart music.. wonder why they didn't go for an AM frequency service..

Another interesting thing that I've noticed is that Indemand do at times mix up the station sweepers.. How can that be possible?

AM reception in parts of the Scottish Borders is fairly poor, which is why Radio Borders was awarded an FM licence - although its area is served by four transmitters (at Selkirk, Berwick, Eyemouth and Peebles) to ensure maximum coverage. In any case, at the time it was awarded, those ILR stations which were simulcasting on both AM and FM were starting to split their services, so it wouldn't have made much sense to give an AM/FM licence to Radio Borders.
  • discoandrewdiscoandrew Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    You are correct Steven, Between The Sheets was, I'm sure the rather risque title of Rory and Dugald's chat show! I seem to recall there was a photo of them both 'naked' between a large newspaper (probably The Southern) in one of the Radio Borders birthday newspapers.

That show was sheer class, loved it!