Options

Motd @ 50

Comments

• Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I have nothing to do with Wikipedia, my source was the BBC VT web site which is written by people who actually worked there so they should know.
    The point was if Wikipedia is wrong and you have information to say so (as you posted), edit Wikipedia to include the right information so that people reading the Wikipedia page don't see the incorrect information.
  • Options
    iceolaiceola Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Williams you are a star :)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a regular watcher of MOTD (though I usually fall asleep on the sofa before the end and have to watch the recording on a Sunday) but I do think that the BBC is over-egging this anniversary. Ask most football fans and they will have a love-hate relationship with the programme. Yes, it's essential viewing on a Saturday night but the show does need updating. Hopefully getting rid of Hansen is a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm a regular watcher of MOTD (though I usually fall asleep on the sofa before the end and have to watch the recording on a Sunday) but I do think that the BBC is over-egging this anniversary. Ask most football fans and they will have a love-hate relationship with the programme. Yes, it's essential viewing on a Saturday night but the show does need updating. Hopefully getting rid of Hansen is a step in the right direction.

The significance of MOTD in being the first programme to regularly televise football matches in England cannot be overemphasised. How many other programmes on British television are marking 50 years of broadcasting ? Anyhow the BBC loves anniversaries:D
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be wonderful to hear Barry Davies one more time, too.
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although by no means all of the editions of Match of the Day exist it does have a very good survival rate. There are a few weeks missing in a row in late 1964 and a few others here and there, but as late as 1977 most colour editions only exist in full as b&w telerecordings, however matches themselves or goals etc may still exist in colour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JezR wrote: »
    Although by no means all of the editions of Match of the Day exist it does have a very good survival rate. There are a few weeks missing in a row in late 1964 and a few others here and there, but as late as 1977 most colour editions only exist in full as b&w telerecordings, however matches themselves or goals etc may still exist in colour.

MOTD went into colour in November 1969
  • Options
    digiremotedigiremote Posts: 3,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to this,the first episode will be shown on Sunday at 10:20am on the BBC Red Button (Satellite and Cable).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gzgfs
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    Definitely going to record that :)
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,749
    Forum Member
    Will be repeated at 1am Sunday night
    digiremote wrote: »
    According to this,the first episode will be shown on Sunday at 10:20am on the BBC Red Button (Satellite and Cable).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gzgfs
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MOTD went into colour in November 1969

As you rightly say it went into colour in November 1969 (but at that time only in the equivalent of ITV's London, Midlands, Granada and Yorkshire regions, the other areas went into colour over the next two years).

The point the poster was making was that although the programme was transmitted in colour, many of the recordings that were kept are only in black and white as colour tape was hideously expansive at the time.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Documentary ruined with the crap rap.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I didn't really enjoy that hour of BBC Sport self praise.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    The significance of MOTD in being the first programme to regularly televise football matches in England cannot be overemphasised. How many other programmes on British television are marking 50 years of broadcasting ? Anyhow the BBC loves anniversaries:D

Totp was 50 last year and not one programme
    On.it,
  • Options
    lightblueslightblues Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointed with the progaramme , no chats with jimmy hill or
    bob wilson , they are still alive you know, in fact they didn't even mention Bob's name even once
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_of_the_Day

Worth noting that in the early days they were lucky to have four cameras on a game, now it's about 12.

The BBC had its first slow motion replay machine in early 1967, not as stated.Because it was used on racing during the afternoon in Grandstand the commentators had to do their best to recall the goal action and the pictures were edited in later (Source: BBC VT web site)
    Pawley says that DD made one for the World Cup in 1966 and that it was superseded by an Ampex HS100 in 1968.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lightblues wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the progaramme , no chats with jimmy hill or
    bob wilson , they are still alive you know, in fact they didn't even mention Bob's name even once

Jimmy is very ill with Alzheimer's and Bob's recovering from cancer. Bob's probably well enough to do interviews though, and even if he isn't, not including his contributions to MOTD over the years properly was a disgrace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Pawley says that DD made one for the World Cup in 1966 and that it was superseded by an Ampex HS100 in 1968.

http://www.vtoldboys.com/slo60_3.htm

The BBC had a ''stop action'' disc in time for the 1966 World Cup Final - you could rewind the play and freeze it but not replay in slow motion. They had an HS100 on trial and used in programmes in 1967.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Arry's mind slipped a cog, 9" tv in 1964?, even we had I think a 19" by then.
    MOTD was on BBC 2 which required a 625 line set, dont think they even made a 9" 625 line set, did they. He must be thinking of the Coronation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Slightly ot, does anyone know the name of the song used for the closing credits at the end of the programme? Thanks
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Jimmy is very ill with Alzheimer's and Bob's recovering from cancer. Bob's probably well enough to do interviews though, and even if he isn't, not including his contributions to MOTD over the years properly was a disgrace.

Agree. There was no need for the theme tune sing-a-longs. I'd have liked to have seen more from the Jimmy Hill and Bob Wilson era. Glad to see the positive comments about Jimmy on Twitter but ended up feeling sad - Jimmy unable to contribute, nothing from Bob, Des not looking well.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimmyMc wrote: »
    Slightly ot, does anyone know the name of the song used for the closing credits at the end of the programme? Thanks

It was 'The Way It Is' by Bruce Hornsby and the Range - which those with long memories will remember backing the run-through of the league tables in Final Score on Grandstand.
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    I think Arry's mind slipped a cog, 9" tv in 1964?, even we had I think a 19" by then.
    MOTD was on BBC 2 which required a 625 line set, dont think they even made a 9" 625 line set, did they. He must be thinking of the Coronation.

He could well be right, the first mains/battery black & white UHF portable televisions started appearing in the early 625 line era and although most were 12" I well remember 9" and even 6" sets. But they were not cheap - the cheapest portable was around the £60 mark - and as a kid I yearned for the 9" dual standard 405/625 made by Sony but it cost £79.95 and that was a small fortune in those days. Colour portables were around by the early 70s from £200 upwards.

The rechargeable batteries they took also cost an arm and a leg and effectively a car battery was the only way to make them work away from home!
  • Options
    Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    It was 'The Way It Is' by Bruce Hornsby and the Range - which those with long memories will remember backing the run-through of the league tables in Final Score on Grandstand.

like in this clip from April 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7STSGw7OPU

and BTW the whole doc is now on YT as well as I am now downloading which is handy for me as I missed it last night and on the iplayer this morning and it also is on dailymotion so that is a good backup should the YT vid get deleted
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Nick G wrote: »
    Agree. There was no need for the theme tune sing-a-longs. I'd have liked to have seen more from the Jimmy Hill and Bob Wilson era. Glad to see the positive comments about Jimmy on Twitter but ended up feeling sad - Jimmy unable to contribute, nothing from Bob, Des not looking well.
    The Des interview was from 1 or 2 years back. The same was mentioned back then.

I'm guessing they did a [EMAIL="MOTD@40"]MOTD@40[/EMAIL] show seeing as through they had interviews with several people on the subject from 2004.

Also surprising to see Di Canio being involved in the show.