WWE Network

Comments

• DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I see Meltzer on a recent Observer Radio was saying WWE Network in Canada is ahead of subscriber predictions already.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say we can assume that just yet. There has been no official word from either Sky or WWE on what version will launch the UK. All we know is that it will launch on October 1st.

One possible reason for the delay is WWE only announced the international launch date 12 days in advance. Sky may have requested a delayed launch so they can properly promote the Network here.
    Although possible Sky wouldn't launch a new channel/service without significant build-up, the nearer we get to October 1st the more likely that it'll be similar to the US version.

The silence from Sky is deafening on the Network- much like it was prior to the Channel 4 deal in early 2000 which makes me think Sky are not launching a new service. The delayed launch is likely down to the fact that they are contractually obliged to show Night of Champions on Sky Sports- after that every PPV was going to be on Box Office until the start of the new deal.

I could be wrong but all signs point to an over the top Network launch on October 1st.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the take up for the WWE network in the UK will be significant ? Hardcore fans have already got it so now we're talking about keenish fans but how many willing to subscribe or just stick to SKY programming ?
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    tony321 wrote: »
    I wonder if the take up for the WWE network in the UK will be significant ? Hardcore fans have already got it so now we're talking about keenish fans but how many willing to subscribe or just stick to SKY programming ?

I would class myself a hardcore fan, but I couldn't be bothered mucking around with proxy servers etc. I know a few others like me as well, so it might be a bigger pool of people than you think.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone noticed the dates for the shows on the PS3 Network app are a day out?
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends how Sky dampen the take up- if they are contractually obliged to mention it (if it is an internet product) then I can see a fair few people ditching Sky Sports for the Network.

If I was Sky I'd provide a pseudo Network via On Demand, say old PPVs from the corresponding month for no extra cost. Again this may or not be possible due to the WWE.
  • Dax 21Dax 21 Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

my sub is up next week

so i am going to wait till october 1 to sign up again :)

Next month PPV on sky anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my sub is up next week

so i am going to wait till october 1 to sign up again :)

Next month PPV on sky anyway

Mine works on a uk ip Address i got it on the 1st day when apple tv rolled it out worldwide :D
    all i had to do was change the itunes store and it works great
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    I would class myself a hardcore fan, but I couldn't be bothered mucking around with proxy servers etc. I know a few others like me as well, so it might be a bigger pool of people than you think.

I wonder what sort of numbers the WWE think in the UK will sign up and what the actual numbers will be ? Business seems to be not as hot as it was at the moment, definitely the WWE UK tour will be massively promoted for the Network but online streaming etc hasn't really taken off yet and most prefer SKY and their system in my opinion
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see some of the old episodes of Superstars and Challenge on the Network. I know quite a lot of those shows were filled by squash matches, but there were some memorable angles and matches on those shows as well.
  • jrmich9jrmich9 Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what sort of numbers the WWE think in the UK will sign up and what the actual numbers will be ? Business seems to be not as hot as it was at the moment, definitely the WWE UK tour will be massively promoted for the Network but online streaming etc hasn't really taken off yet and most prefer SKY and their system in my opinion

There'll be an initial burst of activity in October based off press releases to all major entertainment and tech outlets - many of whom don't have WWE Network on their radar at all. Plus there'll be individual talent(s) over here that week too.

Then in November during the tour there is a MASSIVE burst of publicity planned, using as much established and name talent as is available - and expect Vince to be very visible as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see some of the old episodes of Superstars and Challenge on the Network. I know quite a lot of those shows were filled by squash matches, but there were some memorable angles and matches on those shows as well.
    Don't forget the people that don't have sky sports there's a lot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dax 21 wrote: »
    Don't forget the people that don't have sky sports there's a lot

Hopefully WWE realise that fact as well. Signing a Canadian style agreement with Sky would cut out quite a large group of potential subscribers.

I wonder what they will do about Main Event and NXT. Since they are part of the new Sky deal, will they be blocked out from the Network here?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully WWE realise that fact as well. Signing a Canadian style agreement with Sky would cut out quite a large group of potential subscribers.
    think we would have herd by now surely
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    think we would have herd by now surely

Not necessarily, the Canadian deal with Rogers was not officially announced until July 31st, just 12 days before launch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder what they will do about Main Event and NXT. Since they are part of the new Sky deal, will they be blocked out from the Network here?

Think it's the us version so yeah will be on there
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Monday Night War documentary has been added
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    The Monday Night War documentary has been added

I watched it yesterday, enjoyed it a lot. Hopefully it won't be long until the Nitro episodes are shown on the Network.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching it.I can't remember how many episodes make up the Monday Night War series but i'm looking forward to the next 1.Going to give Journey To Summerslam The Shield documentary a watch later.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching it.I can't remember how many episodes make up the Monday Night War series but i'm looking forward to the next 1.Going to give Journey To Summerslam The Shield documentary a watch later.

Think I heard it was a 20 part series. Could be wrong though, so don't quote me on it...
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member

The official press release said 20 weeks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering, I presume we will have to add on 20% VAT to whatever price WWE charge for our version of the Network.

Will the price be charged in pounds here, or dollars like other countries?
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WWE Raw is little more than a 3 hour infomercial these days (people even hold banners up saying "Raw Is Infomercial" in the crowd... It is becoming unwatchable as a result (in the 3 hour version)

I would love to see the 90s WCW PPVs.. but I have no interest in supporting the current product which just advertises every other word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering, I presume we will have to add on 20% VAT to whatever price WWE charge for our version of the Network.

Will the price be charged in pounds here, or dollars like other countries?

Sadly $
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    Why Sadly?

$9.99 works out around £6 - which is cheaper than £9.99
    Sadly $