Options

What is the best advice you have ever recieved and given on DS and in real life?

Comments

• Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came across a brilliant piece of advice today, and just at the right moment:

Marie Curie's "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood."
  • Options
    Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brookside wrote: »
    Is that really true about the domestic abuse post, if so how horrendous to post that as a reply!

Jules F was spot on. I also remember the post and was utterly gobsmacked at that particular pearl of Wisdom.

I believe this is the thread that is being referred to.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1876095
  • Options
    BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow what a thread, thanks for the read Fat Buddah!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any more pearls of wisdom?
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a thread on advice late at night once, and the poster said they had chest pains and was sweating profusely. Another poster said "take aspirin and ring for an ambulance". The poster did and it turned out he was having a major heart attack and had to have heart surgery. He posted back on here from his hospital bed!
  • Options
    azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Don't give up hope, things get better.

I don't really know if it's true but it's all that gets me through the days at the moment :cry:
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Given by one first assistant manager:-

Never knob the payroll

Given by a farmer when I was young and learning to milk a cow:-

"Cows are just like women...

If you grab their tits and they didn't see you coming - you'll get a kicking".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    There was a thread on advice late at night once, and the poster said they had chest pains and was sweating profusely. Another poster said "take aspirin and ring for an ambulance". The poster did and it turned out he was having a major heart attack and had to have heart surgery. He posted back on here from his hospital bed!

Excellent!
    azalea wrote: »
    Don't give up hope, things get better.

I don't really know if it's true but it's all that gets me through the days at the moment :cry:

What is the matter?
  • Options
    azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Brookside wrote: »
    Excellent!

What is the matter?

I don't know what it is if I'm honest, things have just got to much for me. I was surprised to see this thread at the top of advice today of all days! Forget the don't give up hope, things get better advice I posted! It hasn't worked out at all. Things only get worse :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    azalea wrote: »
    I don't know what it is if I'm honest, things have just got to much for me. I was surprised to see this thread at the top of advice today of all days! Forget the don't give up hope, things get better advice I posted! It hasn't worked out at all. Things only get worse :(

It is a shame I know how you feel. From 6 years old 2 lads down my street were great at sports and always had the best due to this and then ended up millionaires.

This made me think why I never got that chance despite living on the same street. It's not like it was even they were nice people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any others?
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Advice on posting in the right forums is usually pretty sound.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Never blame anyone else for your problems, do something about them instead.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never blame anyone else for your problems, do something about them instead.

Good comment.:D
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things which have held me in good stead for the last umpty ump years.:)

Always know your own worth and never sell yourself short.

You are always in the $hit, it's just the depth that varies.

And if it's up to your mouth - keep it shut.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't often visit the advice forum, but once read a post from a girl who was having problems with her boyfriend. He had anxiety problems and had refused to see her for months, but at the same time kept texting her and telling her he loved her so she had no idea where she stood.

She seemed so confused that I felt compelled to reply. Given the sensitive nature of the subject, I ended up trying to give advice for not only her, but also for her boyfriend. I spent a ridiculously long time trying to craft the most well thought out response I could come up with, but in the end, I don't think she was particularly interested and just said something like "thanks, I'll keep that in mind" and that was that! I don't think there were many follow up posts from her, but at the very least someone else complimented the advice I gave, so I might actually have some use even if people don't always listen to it ! :)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you know why advice is free because its worthless
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anymore?
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always expect the unexpected - I was told this when learning to drive, and I still think about that when driving around.
    Don't get your honey where you make your money - avoid relationships at your workplace.
    If you wouldn't make her a wife, then don't make her a mother - for males everywhere.
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My grandad said to my uncle on his wedding day 'remember son, happy wife leads to a happy life'.

My uncle got divorced 6 years later, obviously didn't listen to his father's advice! Silly sod
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    As an 18 year old student nurse, worried that I hadn't said enough to comfort a grieving family, the best advice I have ever received was from my mentor, who told me "sometimes it's not about saying the right words; it's just about being there." It has stuck with me ever since and I think it will for the rest of my career.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Never court a woman who looks like she could get you in a half nelson.
  • Options
    AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Worst advice I've ever had was from my Dad. My BF and I were going on hols and on the morning we were due to fly I just happened to glance at the date on my passport (which I assumed was in date) to find it had expired a month ago. Flight was in three hours. I did what I always did in a crisis and phoned my dad. His advice? "Just go, love. They won't check it anyway." Luckily I got a second opinion from BF's mum and hot-footed it to the passport office. And made the flight :)
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best advice- perfection is not an aim.

Repeating this to myself, along with "good enough is sometimes good enough", really helped me relax when I got myself in a tizz trying to be perfect and make things around me that weren't even in my control perfect.

Worst advice- try this, it's a vitamin tablet and really good for you (was some kind of psychedelic and I was being spiked).