The US Ratings Thread (Part 1)

Comments

• dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really happy for B99 - the episode was really great, and it's turned into a really solid, funny little show, with fantastic performances throughout. It didn't get the audiences it deserved last season, but I hope people cottoned on to the fact it got those Golden Globes and perhaps tune in this time round. Looks like a decent spot for it - after all, midweek on Fox is a graveyard of dead and dying shows right now! We'll see how all these shows sit after they've taped checked and corrected quite a lot for the football overruns, but Fox have to be happy with those numbers after a few weeks of horrific results!
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Mom did well last night following Big Bang! It was getting around 1.8-1.9 last year was it not? It was a little old skewing compared to other comedies. Possible to get a 3.0+ after Big Bang? The Millers was averaging 2.7 in the slot after TBBT, so anything over that would be seen as good, yes?
  • dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    I hope Mom did well last night following Big Bang! It was getting around 1.8-1.9 last year was it not? It was a little old skewing compared to other comedies. Possible to get a 3.0+ after Big Bang? The Millers was averaging 2.7 in the slot after TBBT, so anything over that would be seen as good, yes?

Mom didn't air last night. The premiere was moved to October 30th.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/09/25/cbs-shifts-mom-to-thursdays-extends-the-big-bang-theory-hour-long-monday-run/307168/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dillan wrote: »

What a mess and silly decision!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to press release, Thursday sitcoms will premiere after football ends. TBBT will win as usual but Grey's might give Mom a run for it's money at 8:30pm. Scandal will win their 9pm slot.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,242
    Forum Member
    What a mess and silly decision!

Haven't seen last night's figures yet but repeats of Big Bang Theory often get more viewers than completely new showings of other series.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selfie and Manhattan Love story premiere tonight

Although being up against The voice and NCIS could be a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Haven't seen last night's figures yet but repeats of Big Bang Theory often get more viewers than completely new showings of other series.

True, but Mom airing after TBBT new episode would have gotten more than a TBBT repeat. So they just shot themselves in the foot there. Lets say the repeat gets 2.5, Mom would have more likely have gotten over that following the new episode of TBBT anyway.

Maybe a TBBT repeat would have out rated shows without a good lead in, but with a new episode lead in, it was a silly move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monday early ratings:

CBS:
    The Big Bang Theory- 16.18m (4.7)
    The Big Bang Theory (r)- 12.32m (3.1)
    Scorpion- 12.23m (3.0)
    NCIS LA- 9.44m (1.9)

ABC:
    Dancing with The Stars- 12.69m (1.9)
    Castle- 11.26m (2.4)

NBC:
    The Voice- 12.74m (3.9)
    The Blacklist- 10.66m (2.8)

FOX:
    Gotham- 7.33m (2.8)
    Sleepy Hollow- 5.10m (1.7)

CW:
    iHeartRadio Music Festival- 910,000 (0.3)

The only poor ratings of the bunch is the music festival and Sleepy Hollow really.

As for Sunday cable news, here are a handful:

FX:
    The Strain- 1.973m (0.9)

ADSM:
    Rick and Morty- 1.521m (0.8)
    Mr Pickles- 1.704m (0.8)

HBO:
    Boardwalk Empire- 2.05m (0.8)
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Sunday's "Once" has been upgraded to a 3.7 and a total of 10.20 million. In terms of number of viewers it's the best rated since the season two opener on September 30, 2012.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sleepy hollow looks like it is in for a rough ride.....

Gotham doing ok but not the powerhouse I expected it to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, great adjustments for ABC on Sunday.

Sunday finals:

CBS:
    60 Minutes- 9.68m (1.1)
    Madam Secretary- 12.72m (1.4)
    The Good Wife- 11.09m (1.3)
    CSI- 9.36m (1.3)

ABC:
    Once Upon A Time: Frozen Special- 5.49m (1.6)
    Once Upon A Time- 10.20m (3.7)
    Resurrection- 8.38m (2.5)
    Revenge- 5.71m (1.5)

NBC:
    Football night in America- 3.83m (1.2), 13.01m (4.6)
    Sunday Night Football- 22.68m (8.7)

FOX:
    NFL- 25.82m (9.0)
    The Simpsons- 8.53m (3.9)
    Brooklyn Nine Nine- 5.46m (2.6)
    Family Guy- 8.45m (4.5)

Monday finals:

CBS:
    The Big Bang Theory- 16.38m (4.8)
    The Big Bang Theory (r)- 12.26m (3.1)
    Scorpion- 13.36 (3.1)
    NCIS LA- 9.48m (1.9)

ABC:
    Dancing with The Stars- 12.50m (1.8)
    Castle- 10.75m (2.2)

NBC:
    The Voice- 12.94m (4.0)
    The Blacklist- 10.51m (2.8)

FOX:
    Gotham- 7.45m (2.8)
    Sleepy Hollow- 5.04m (1.7)

CW:
    iHeartRadio Music Festival- 820,000 (0.3)

Scorpion doing a lot better than I expected!!
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NCIS LA was down without the main show as lead in. Its early days because The Blacklist is moving to Thursdays so could see increases. I imagine it'll be renewed since its CBS owned and make money for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NCIS:LA did quite bad for CBS. But I agree that it's only their first week. But the NCIS franchise is far from being in trouble. The original is the most watched in the world (they got an award for it) and New Orleans making a decent debut.

I see Castle is back to their stagnant 2.2 ratings. They always get 2.0-2.2 week by week. Now that they are in season 7, it's interesting to see that a show once heavily reliant on DWTS is now building from it's lead-in. As for DWTS, it really is a tired format now. The "fourth judge" was undoubtedly a mistake and the cast is meh. Would rather watch Gotham or The Voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stalker premieres tonight. It's up against Nashville and Chicago PD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stalker premieres tonight. It's up against Nashville and Chicago PD.

I hear that critically it has gotten horrific reviews, but I never base my enjoyment on reviews.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear that critically it has gotten horrific reviews, but I never base my enjoyment on reviews.

Same here. Never listen to reviews. It's one of my most anticipated shows of the season. Nice to see a crime show focussing on something different. Not murders. But stalkers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link: http://www.tvmediainsights.com/forum/topic/tuesday-93014-5/

ABC comedies DOA, FOX comedies even more dead looking, Utopia proves to be more of a waste of money and an embarrassment, Forever is suddenly not looking forever. Is The CW making any money off these iHeartRadio concert shows or does iHeartRadio sponsor The CW?? SHIELD looking weaker.

What a whole lot of flops for Tuesday night on broadcast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tuesday early ratings:

CBS:
    NCIS- 18.64m (2.6)
    NCIS New Orleans- 16.44m (2.3)
    Person of Interest- 10.75m (1.8)

NBC:
    The Voice- 13.54m (4.0)
    Chicago Fire- 8.98m (2.4)

ABC:
    Selfie- 4.89m (1.4)
    Manhattan Love Story- 4.28m (1.3)
    S.H.I.E.L.D- 4.54m (1.7)
    Forever- 5.60m (1.3)

FOX:
    Utopia- 2.02m (0.8)
    New Girl- 2.34m (1.2)
    The Mindy Project- 2.33m (1.1)

CW:
    iHeart Radio Music Festival- 1.00m (0.4)

Oh dear, overall, not very good ratings. Rating winners have to go to NBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually do wonder if ABC is cut out to have a comedy night on Tuesdays. Cougar Town moved to Tuesdays before their TBS move and they sank like a stone. Selfie and Manhattan Love Story sounds more like it's suited to summer programming rather than regular season. I can't imagine them performing well on Fridays either.

At least Forever is still doing better than Lucky 7 did last year, but still bad numbers. NBC is on fire this season and their only bad night seems to be Thursdays. Wednesdays would look good, if Mysteries of Laura was taken out of the picture. NBC has announced that in November sweeps, Chicago Fire, SVU and Chicago PD will have a two-night crossover event. Responses were mixed to positive. NCIS is doing fine and POI is getting weaker. I am convinced that iHeartRadio is a major sponsor of The CW.

As for FOX, they are just hoping for a midseason turn around. Only a network can dream.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NCIS New Orleans is looking like a keeper. Not looking so hot for PoI. NBC had a great night with The Voice and Chicago Fire
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had Selfie down as a flop purely based on the plot and preview alone. That and Manhattan have performed terribly. I think ABC's first of the seasons cancellations are firmly in the bag. Unless they long it out like they did with Super fun night and give it a few extra episodes regardless.

Quite sad to see Karen go from a hugely success sci-fi show, to then a summer blockbuster film and then to a shitty comedy series. I hope this doesn't ruin her US career just yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tuesday finals:

CBS:
    NCIS- 18.84m (2.6)
    NCIS New Orleans- 16.57m (2.3)
    Person of Interest- 10.72m (1.8)

NBC:
    The Voice- 13.73m (4.1)
    Chicago Fire- 8.71m (2.3)

ABC:
    Selfie- 5.31m (1.6)
    Manhattan Love Story- 4.70m (1.5)
    S.H.I.E.L.D- 5.05m (1.8)
    Forever- 5.69m (1.4)

FOX:
    Utopia- 1.99m (0.8)
    New Girl- 2.37m (1.3)
    The Mindy Project- 2.35m (1.1)

CW:
    iHeart Radio Music Festival- 990,000 (0.4)

Selfie and MLS not exactly DOA anymore. They both adjusted up two tenths. The Voice, SHIELD, Forever and New Girl all adjusted up too. CF down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link: http://tvline.com/2014/10/01/utopia-replaced-on-tuesdays-masterchef-junior/

Utopia only airing on Fridays now. Animation repeats will air until Masterchef Junior 2 begins.

FOX still not accepting $50 million flop defeat. Hahahaha
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paltonz wrote: »
    Link: http://tvline.com/2014/10/01/utopia-replaced-on-tuesdays-masterchef-junior/

Utopia only airing on Fridays now. Animation repeats will air until Masterchef Junior 2 begins.

FOX still not accepting $50 million flop defeat. Hahahaha
    Desperate attempt to keep it on the air - they'd intended to take it down to one episode, but that one episode was supposed to be scheduled in the Tuesday slot, it was NOT intended for Friday as that article seems to imply. The only surprise is that they took this long to bung it into a Friday only slot. I suspect Utopia is not long for this world. It's basically a timeslot filler, until the baseball world series allows them to shuffle a whole load more of their underperforming stuff into that Friday space, and Utopia is gone for good. It was a very big gamble that everyone but Fox could see was going to crash and burn.

They needed a new talent show, and they went with a reality show instead - such a horrible mistake! I'm continually surprised that no US network has revived something like the Popstars format in over a decade - given how damn huge One Direction is, the creation of a new US boyband must surely be something that would work. I liked the format, but I suspect Simon Cowell's presence on the network until last year was preventing them picking up anything that wasn't his 'baby'. Now though, that's not an issue - and the talent fatigue that you find with single entrant talent shows year after year wouldn't be an issue after more than 10 years not on the air.

They've got to find something to challenge The Voice's domination - that wins almost because there's nothing else on. American Idol looks old and tired, but they're committed to yet another season - each time I pray it'll be the last, but it continually disappoints me with more renewals! I guess Fox have no option but to keep renewing it, when they don't have any other options.