Illegal motoring manoeuvres.

2»

Comments

• cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Maybe not an illegal turn but found this appropriate An elderly lady wrote to the letters column of a newspaper regarding tax drivers who think nothing about holding up very busy traffic in London's West End when they perform U turns. She told of one day when she too had to do a U turn on a near deserted road that caused a taxi to momentarily stop "What do you think you'r playing at" the cabbie yelled" - "Why - taxi drivers of course" she replied !
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Maybe not an illegal turn but found this appropriate An elderly lady wrote to the letters column of a newspaper regarding tax drivers who think nothing about holding up very busy traffic in London's West End when they perform U turns. She told of one day when she too had to do a U turn on a near deserted road that caused a taxi to momentarily stop "What do you think you'r playing at" the cabbie yelled" - "Why - taxi drivers of course" she replied !

hahahah Love it.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am guilty of 'undertaking' people who sit in the middle or outside lanes for no reason. I don't break the speed limit to do so, but I still feel bad and I should know better.
  • Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I tailgate people so they can see how busy and important I am.

I drive in the middle lane - because no other road user is going to make me be considerate!
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Off the top of my head.

Whilst in Aberystwyth, coming from the south part of the Marina area where a main route into town, I just on a quiet Sunday evening went a short distance the wrong way up a one way street to come out near Trefechan, rather than having to go right round the prom and whole town to go only about 100 metres.

A chippy in Little Sutton always has customers parking on the huge pavement directly outside rather than using a nearby car park which is free anyway but would necessitate crossing a busy road with traffic lights. A perfect vignette of laziness, people parking huge Mercs and BMWs on the super wide pavement right next to the chippy so they can get even less excercise! I decided to try it myself one time and unfortunately a police car drove past as I got back into the car with my loot from the chippy, but they didn't do anything!
    It also happens in the same area, people parking massive Mercs right outside the Indian restaurant blatantly just outside the window. I guess apart from how arrogant it seems there's nothing really all that much wrong with it, as the pavement is quite wide.

Deliberately crossing a bit over to the other lane to make corners easier on tight roads when I know no traffic is coming. (when you can actually see round them and at night)

Driving in the middle lane almost continuously on the M56 rather than getting stuck behind truck after truck and having a slew of other aggressive cars on the outside lane preventing you easily overtaking them, making it easier just not to use the "truckers lane".

Resorting to pulling out and blocking one lane of a road when you just can't get out of a junction so you at least only have to wait for one direction of a road to get clear rather than two. (done as a bit of a last resort, and have also seen taxi drivers do this trick)

Being an "amber gambler"

I'm a relatively good driver because I know all this is wrong so don't resort to doing these things the majority of the time.

May God have mercy on my soul!
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The exit from our local Waitrose is a no right turn. If you want to go in that direction, you have to turn left and go all the way round a congested one way system, just to drive past the turning you just came out of.

No-one can really fathom why it's a no right turn, the sightlines aren't obstructed or anything, and for years the county council has been talking about putting a mini-roundabout there so people can turn right.

I freely admit to occasionally doing an illegal right when there's not traffic around, to save myself the best part of a mile of unnecessary driving and sitting in traffic for 10 minutes.
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    I am guilty of 'undertaking' people who sit in the middle or outside lanes for no reason. I don't break the speed limit to do so, but I still feel bad and I should know better.

This isn't illegal. I do it if someone is moving slowly in the middle lane, though you are not supposed to unless you have a good reason to.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A chippy in Little Sutton always has customers parking on the huge pavement directly outside rather than using a nearby car park which is free anyway but would necessitate crossing a busy road with traffic lights. A perfect vignette of laziness, people parking huge Mercs and BMWs on the super wide pavement right next to the chippy so they can get even less excercise! I decided to try it myself one time and unfortunately a police car drove past as I got back into the car with my loot from the chippy, but they didn't do anything!

I wouldn't have expected them to have, where do you think they park when they nip into the chippy? :D