Options

The US Ratings Thread (Part 1)

Comments

• Options
    tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    Bordertown and Empire are the only ones that interest me. Although i think Empire is on the wrong network. It would work on CBS or NBC.

I think it should be on ABC. CBS seems to skew old.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great night for ABC yet again. NBC Thursdays still a struggle. They need to learn that it just doesn't work. NBC Thursdays is what ITV Tuesdays is like, it just never has anything that would draw viewers to the channel for no apparent reason, no matter what they put on!

That's a drop for TVD from last year but a 0.9 is still very good for the CW. Hoping Arrow can return to at least a 0.9 (as it did started in S2 and also ended). TVD went from 1.2 to 0.9 in the season, Arrow was static from 0.9 to 0.9. It'd be great for it to get 1.0.

That is worrying for Reign. Will it end on 0.2-0.3 at the end of the season? Shame on them getting rid of The Tomorrow People :( It'd probably rate worse than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thursday finals:

CBS:
    NFL- 8.80m (2.5) and 16.54m (5.9)

ABC:
    Greys Anatomy- 9.44m (2.7)
    Scandal- 10.70m (3.4)
    How To Get Away With Murder- 12.15m (3.3)

NBC:
    The Biggest Loser- 4.64m (1.3)
    Bad Judge- 5.84m (1.3)
    A-Z- 4.79m (1.2)
    Parenthood- 4.34m (1.3)

FOX:
    Bones- 6.41m (1.5)
    Gracepoint- 4.76m (1.2)

CW:
    The Vampire Diaries- 1.81m (0.9)
    Reign- 1.01m (0.4)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Shondaland shows were adjusted up!!! In fact, a lot of ABC shows are enjoying upward adjustments!!!! Shondaland Thursday is proving to be a hit and things are looking better for ABC this season so far. Murder did fantastic retaining almost all demo audiences and building in total viewers from Scandal!!

As for NBC and FOX, these are horrid numbers. Gracepoint is no match for Scandal and Bones might as well be on their last season. NBC is still on the cult fanbase on Thursday. Even if Parks were there as a lead in, it still wouldn't have helped. TVD is starting to show erosion but still good for CW standards. How many episodes is Reign airing this season? 13 or 22? With that kind of a start, it doesn't look promising. Then again, Beauty and the Beast got renewed with those numbers.
  • Options
    dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The CW will drag Reign till it reaches syndication. It's basically B&TB 2.0.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dillan wrote: »

But what saved Beauty was how well it does it internationally as it does very well in europe and has been sold nearly all around the world. Reign hasn't. Apart from the US, it has only been sold to canada, australia and new zealand.

and Reign has been given 22 episodes this season.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the US, it has only been sold to canada, australia and new zealand.

Also been shown in Ireland.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Where it's shown at 1:45 in the morning, why did RTE bother?
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    I didn't even know The Vampire Diaries was back!? I thought it wasn't come back until the end of the month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Where it's shown at 1:45 in the morning, why did RTE bother?

I believe it started off being broadcast at about 8pm on a Saturday.

Must have totally tanked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would be very shocked if Top Model got another season. That number is below average for CW Friday standards. Also, the franchise is fading internationally, even though it still seems to be a hit in Germany where it's hosted by Heidi Klum. Their finales are live in an arena and gets big, international pop acts to perform.
  • Options
    dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what saved Beauty was how well it does it internationally as it does very well in europe and has been sold nearly all around the world. Reign hasn't. Apart from the US, it has only been sold to canada, australia and new zealand.

and Reign has been given 22 episodes this season.

I just can't see The CW letting go of a CBS produced show (which they don't have many of - most are WB produced) with 44 episodes. Plus, the show doesn't look expensive to make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Reign was renewed too early. IMO, they should wait until they are around 3 episodes left into the season, but I recall it being renewed after 10 eps (when it was getting a 0.6 before it declined to 0.4 and then started with 0.4 for the 2nd season. By the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if it would be at 0.2.

It makes me nervous for Arrow's return, I am hoping for 1.0+ but realistically it probably will get the same TVD, so 0.9. Judging that Arrow S2 lost no demo from 1st to last ep in S2 is good to see, so it will probably start with the same demo= 0.9. With Arrow, viewer wise, it has the strongest audience consistency, however SPN beats it in the demo which surprises me. Not at the fact that Arrow skews older than the average CW show (which actually does surprise me a little), but SPN, a 10 year old show, you would think that the demo was lower due to older hardcore fans, but it seems to have a high demo... more and more new younger viewers every year?

TVD however dropped 4 tenths in S5 (1.2 to 0.8) and then started with 0.9.

Predictions:

Arrow- 0.9
    Supernatural- 1.0
    The Flash- 1.2
    The Originals- 0.7
    Jane The Virgin- 0.5
    The 100- 0.7
    Hart of Dixie- 0.4
    Beauty and The Beast- 0.3 (just why is this still here? I wish TTP has as many lives as BatB).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just can't see The CW letting go of a CBS produced show (which they don't have many of - most are WB produced) with 44 episodes. Plus, the show doesn't look expensive to make.

The show to me looks a bit expensive. Period dramas normally are. Recreating the 1500's for 22 episodes a year isn't easy or cheap. Plus it is filmed in both canada and Ireland, so having the money to film in more than one country, as well as paying for the cast and crew to continually jet from one country to another can't be cheap either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Reign was renewed too early. IMO, they should wait until they are around 3 episodes left into the season, but I recall it being renewed after 10 eps (when it was getting a 0.6 before it declined to 0.4 and then started with 0.4 for the 2nd season. By the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if it would be at 0.2.

It makes me nervous for Arrow's return, I am hoping for 1.0+ but realistically it probably will get the same TVD, so 0.9. Judging that Arrow S2 lost no demo from 1st to last ep in S2 is good to see, so it will probably start with the same demo= 0.9

TVD however dropped 4 tenths in S5 (1.2 to 0.8) and then started with 0.9.

Predictions:

Arrow- 0.9
    Supernatural- 1.0
    The Flash- 1.2
    The Originals- 0.7
    Jane The Virgin- 0.5
    The 100- 0.7
    Hart of Dixie- 0.4
    Beauty and The Beast- 0.3 (just why is this still here? I wish TTP has as many lives as BatB).

Like i said, it's popular in other countries. Especially europe. It's not always the case for every show, but it was the reason why Beauty was saved. It's huge in france. It gets about 5-6 million an episode. So why The cw are losing money with the poor ratings and demos it earns in the US, they are effectively making money on high ratings in other countries.
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    It makes me nervous for Arrow's return, I am hoping for 1.0+ but realistically it probably will get the same TVD, so 0.9. Judging that Arrow S2 lost no demo from 1st to last ep in S2 is good to see, so it will probably start with the same demo= 0.9. With Arrow, viewer wise, it has the strongest audience consistency, however SPN beats it in the demo which surprises me. Not at the fact that Arrow skews older than the average CW show (which actually does surprise me a little), but SPN, a 10 year old show, you would think that the demo was lower due to older hardcore fans, but it seems to have a high demo... more and more new younger viewers every year?

Predictions:

Arrow- 0.9

The Flash- 1.2
    Actually, I suspect The Flash is going to go north of 1.2 - possibly a 1.3-1.4. The buzz is massive for that show! Plus the fact it's strongly linked in to Arrow, and they're being paired up together makes me think Arrow will, for it's premiere at least, manage a 1.0.

I think there are viewers available for the taking on a Tuesday for CW. In terms of scripted shows, up against The Flash are NCIS (one of the oldest skewing audiences on TV), and Selfie and Manhattan Love Story - neither of which set the ratings on fire last week. The Voice is the slot winner, but I think CW could make a decent dent into the other shows of the night. Utopia is dead, and animation repeats can only do so much. I think they could have a really strong Tuesday line up, with The Flash passing on a decent chunk of it's audience to Arrow. There are several guaranteed crossover episodes during this season for the two shows - that will really help Arrow out, IMO.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The CW's programming is either from CBS TV Studios or Warner Bros which helps costs but I think it's a little restrictive, they should open to co-productions with another studio.

I know The CW hasn't done sitcoms in a long time but given Whose Line is doing well, I think perhaps developing potential comedies and pairing it with Whose Line would be a start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sitcoms never performed well since The CW started. I thought they would have tried more, but it seemed like they had given up. Partially amusing since their rival (and cable) channel, ABC Family has both dramas and sitcoms and they rate better than a lot of CW shows. MTV was doing better than CW at one point, when they had The Hills. MTV dramas do alright now, but not as good as ABC Family, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supernatural and The Originals return tonight
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulaney just adds more to the downfall of Fox

That's four brand new shows that have essentially bombed in ratings and demos.

Revenge's demos are just the perfect excuse for ABC to announce a cancellation,. hopefully well in advance to give it a proper wrap up.

Once upon a time is doing bloody well for sundays.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    I guessed Once Upon A Time would plummet, following its novelty opening episode last week. There was nothing in that that which made me want to continue watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    I guessed Once Upon A Time would plummet, following its novelty opening episode last week. There was nothing in that that which made me want to continue watching.

I think i will bow out this season, as for me the show's quality is very inconsistent and this frozen story arc (as early we are in to it) is boring me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FOX sliding.. actually plummeting! That is crazy low for Family Guy, is it not?

Once dropped, but it's still above 3.0, I seem to remember last year barely getting 2.0 towards the end of the season.