Options

The Genesis programme on BBC2

Comments

• Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of course you are correct Heston, but he has made a living out of regurgitation.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    of course you are correct Heston, but he has made a living out of regurgitation.

some could also say hes giving the fans what they want,considering how popular his Genesis Revisited II Tours have been,the fans seem to be crying out for that era considering how popular his shows and also the Tribute Artists seem to be,i think weve long since passed the chances of a 5 Man Era Live show taking place so they have to get their fix from wherever they can
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    damn missed this and was looking forward to it. What night was this on and I will try and see if its on I player
  • Options
    RoryPickerstinkRoryPickerstink Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    The most annoying thing, was the clip of Daryl playing Firth Of Fifth.

As far as I'm aware, Steve is still alive. It's HIS solo, so why wasn't he asked to do it.

It's almost like asking Roger Hunt to re-enact Geoff Hurst's World Cup winning goals, when Hurst could do it himself. PUZZLING.
  • Options
    bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite Genesis song is Turn It On Again.
    My Husband says his favourite Genesis track is "The return of the giant hogweed" and he was disapointed that they didn't feature it on either programme, having heard some of it I'm glad they gave it a miss! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm aware, Steve is still alive. It's HIS solo, so why wasn't he asked to do it.

But Banks wrote the melody, so strictly speaking it's not HIS solo. He certainly plays the better version (these days anyway), but Stuermer's version ain't so bad.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    But Banks wrote the melody, so strictly speaking it's not HIS solo. He certainly plays the better version (these days anyway), but Stuermer's version ain't so bad.

I think Hackett 'wrote' the solo though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I think Hackett 'wrote' the solo though.

How could he when it's mainly a repetition of the flute part from earlier in the song. Banks wrote the music to this one, but the band was responsible for the arrangement.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fully expecting Tommy Saxondale to arrive in this thread. And I reckon he, too, will be angry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    damn missed this and was looking forward to it. What night was this on and I will try and see if its on I player

Was on Saturday Night on BBC 2
  • Options
    icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this documentary, the album I love is Invisible Touch but I want to explore the rest of them now.
  • Options
    sandalfsandalf Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I loved this documentary which I saw on i-player last night. I wish it could have gone on a bit longer as there was so much to cover - all of Genesis's output plus solo output from 6 very talented and prolific musicians. Pity no mention was made of Womad, which has formed a big part of Gabriel's career post-Genesis.
    Saw Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited show earlier this year - that was superb!
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inspired me to dig out Wind & Wuthering for my commute. On overlooked album with some very high points.
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    As a fan I wasn't particularly impressed with the documentary - it wasn't really aimed at Genesis fans, but instead at those who had only heard of them in passing or had heard some of their later 'popularist' output.

The omission of Steve Hackett's excellent solo work was ridiculous - Tony's poorer solo work got far more coverage for some reason. Can't really blame Steve for being ticked off (to put it mildly).
  • Options
    nic6nic6 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    My Husband says his favourite Genesis track is "The return of the giant hogweed" and he was disapointed that they didn't feature it on either programme, having heard some of it I'm glad they gave it a miss! :D

A live colour performance exists of the band playing this song from Belgian TVs 'Popshop' during 1972.
    They showed some short clips from this Belgian broadcast which lasts about 25 minutes, the Musical Box being one of them. :D
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Inspired me to dig out Wind & Wuthering for my commute. On overlooked album with some very high points.

That album always brings back memories as some friends of mine had "Your Own Special Way" played at their wedding.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the first hour of this on I player and thought it was OK. I will watch the rest tonight.

I am not a huge fan of Genesis but have heard most of their albums over the years and seen several, documentaries.

Thought Gabriel looked well and did I sense some tension on screen between Banks and Gabriel. I always thought the tension was between Collins and Gabriel.

Dont think the original drummer John Mayhew got a mention, either

The problem with this type of documentary, is there is so much to cover and the programme would need to last for about 6 hours to cover most of their career
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listening to The Musical Box. Sheer bliss!

I think the problem when you get so many brilliant musicians and songwriters in one band is that there's bound to be ego-driven arguments and 'musical differences', who's the boss etc. From the doc you can tell that Tony Banks was the chief and when Gabriel was stamping more of his own influence on proceedings it didn't go down so well...

It was most definitely for the best that Gabriel left. I don't think Peter himself seems at all bitter about it but some bitterness is still there with Banks... As for Hackett leaving, well they all seemed to be stressed about that being brought up.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just listening to The Musical Box. Sheer bliss!

I think the problem when you get so many brilliant musicians and songwriters in one band is that there's bound to be ego-driven arguments and 'musical differences', who's the boss etc. From the doc you can tell that Tony Banks was the chief and when Gabriel was stamping more of his own influence on proceedings it didn't go down so well...

It was most definitely for the best that Gabriel left. I don't think Peter himself seems at all bitter about it but some bitterness is still there with Banks... As for Hackett leaving, well they all seemed to be stressed about that being brought up.

To be honest I don't blame Steve for leaving. He had to fight his corner for his songs a lot. Most of the time it was Tony Banks who vetoed his songs. I notice that they did not mention that the day Steve resigned he saw Phil driving in and he refused to get into the car with him. Steve knew that Phil would have talked him out of resigning if he had got in the car with him.

Also the album Wind and Wuthering had some very fine stuff on it there is one problem with it for me and that is the song Your Own Special Way. I'm not a great fan of this song it would have been better as a B side. When this track ended up as a B side It is a much better song with a corking Steve Hackett guitar solo at the end. For me this is Steves swansong.

Inside And Out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyeUizLp1rk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    To be honest I don't blame Steve for leaving. He had to fight his corner for his songs a lot. Most of the time it was Tony Banks who vetoed his songs. I notice that they did not mention that the day Steve resigned he saw Phil driving in and he refused to get into the car with him. Steve knew that Phil would have talked him out of resigning if he had got in the car with him.

Also the album Wind and Wuthering had some very fine stuff on it there is one problem with it for me and that is the song Your Own Special Way. I'm not a great fan of this song it would have been better as a B side. When this track ended up as a B side It is a much better song with a corking Steve Hackett guitar solo at the end. For me this is Steves swansong.

Inside And Out.

Cracker of a Song that is,this is one of my favourite B Sides(that has been edited to merge it back with Los Endos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STvWMYb9Arw
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so according to this documentary steve didn't have a solo career and calling all stations never happened
    Neither did Wind And Wuthering. :confused:
    "Blood On The Rooftops", a Hackett song is among the best they have ever written.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »

Inside And Out.

Me too, I'd happily swap 'Your Own Special Way' for 'Inside and Out' any day. It belongs in my list of 'clunkers' along with 'For Absent Friends', 'More Fool Me', 'Counting Out Time' and nearly half of 'And Then There Were Three'.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only caught the last half-hour of this and thought it was great. I'd forgotten they'd done so many truly great tracks over the years, and 'Turn it on Again' surprised me with its power and energy. Good stuff, must catch up.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I only caught the last half-hour of this and thought it was great. I'd forgotten they'd done so many truly great tracks over the years, and 'Turn it on Again' surprised me with its power and energy. Good stuff, must catch up.

how can you think it was great when there where so many omissions
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These TV docs, preceding DVD/Blu Ray releases, are often little more than tasters. The commercial release will probably be longer, with loads of extras, so all the people/albums/events overlooked on the TV version will be covered in more detail. It wouldn't make much sense these days to let it all go free to air. It also allows the obsessives to get really, really angry all over again, so everyone's happy.