Options

Question for people who don't indicate

makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know a lot of you won't admit to doing it, but to the ones who do; WHY do you do it?

I'm just curious...

Is it laziness?

You feel you don't have to as it's not the law?

Are you not worried about someone pulling out in front of you as they assume you are going straight on?

Comments

• Options
    ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I'm going with them just being totally ignorant. It seems to be a growing problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pure selfishness. They don't give any consideration to others.

it's almost as bad as the people who do indicate, but only do so as they are actually making the turn. Indicators are to tell others what you are going to be doing, not what you are doing (I can see what you are doing).
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    What happens if someone is going to turn right (without indicating) and the vehicle behind decides to overtake?
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One upmanship.

Its the motoring equivalent of being an internet troll.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do it to keep balance in the universe by compensating for the dopes who indicate right when approaching a roundabout and they're going straight on.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it actually not the law? I don't drive and wow, I never knew that. That's surprising to find out.
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally always indicate if there's other traffic about and often when there isn't, but I sometimes don't if I'm pulling back into lane after an overtake on a motorway once I can see that the vehicle I've passed is way behind me.

Not sure if that counts.

Otherwise, I always put them on because it's important for pedestrians, cyclists and anyone else about to know what my intentions are, even if there are no other motor vehicles in the vicinity.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if someone is going to turn right (without indicating) and the vehicle behind decides to overtake?

The vehicle behind should not be overtaking near a junction anyway, so it would be six of one and half a dozen of the other.
  • Options
    akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Is it actually not the law? I don't drive and wow, I never knew that. That's surprising to find out.

I think it should be law, i hate people who can't be bothered to indicate, especially at roundabouts, but then i have been behind police cars that have'nt indicated as well.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    It's pure selfishness. They don't give any consideration to others.

it's almost as bad as the people who do indicate, but only do so as they are actually making the turn. Indicators are to tell others what you are going to be doing, not what you are doing (I can see what you are doing).

It's not a very clever 'selfish' act, though, is it? Because if a car hits you because you didn't indicate, it's still your car getting hit.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clatter wrote: »
    I'm going with them just being totally ignorant. It seems to be a growing problem.

I was going to comment but thought if just agree with this. Mind you I guess most people forget on occasion.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only indicate when it is necessary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Keep in mind that human beings are fundamentally selfish. This might make life's little queries all fall into focus.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A combination of laziness, selfishness, arrogance and stupidity. The worrying thing is that anyone displaying those characteristics shouldn't be driving anyway!
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I indicate almost all the time(I don't on the big roundabouts that are controlled by traffic lights), it's not just for cars it for pedestrians too.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes it hard for me as Pedestrian to know when it is safe to cross.
    There is one section where lots of cars turn and only half if that indicate. And it's a crossing quite a few people use. Drivers are just generally selfish. They think as long as they can go where they want in a machine not many can argue with then tough on the other person.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I travel home down a single track lane past three entrances to housing developments.

It is quite common practice for people turning into those entrances to indicate only as they turn not before, thus making the act of signalling totally pointless.

On more than one occasion I have found myself face to face with an oncoming car and in the absence of a signal have pulled into the nearest entrance to allow her to pass, only to have her squeeze behind me mounting the pavement in order to manoevre into the entrance, indicating as she does so :confused:

Cue heavy beeping of the horn from me :D
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    I find it harder not to indicate nowadays - it's as automatic as mirror checks or a gear change when I'm driving.

Just because you can't see anyone, doesn't mean to say there might not be someone approaching on foot, or hidden behind a building, or a dozen other scenarios. There is no excuse for not doing it at all times.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    The ones that irritate me are the ones who stop in the middle of the road, and have a think then stick their left turn indicator on.

I'd like to know what they are going to do, rather than what they have just done.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stuck someone on for doing this in front of me during my police days! I was following them in the car and they just turned left without indicating, I beeped them and they just stuck their two finger s up without looking at who was doing the beeping! Big mistake!!

I hate it when people do it, particularly when trying to get out of a side road onto a busy road and someone approaching just turns into your road without indicating. So inconsiderate!
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Also, I rant away to myself as some one comes around the roundabout with no indication of where they are going, so I stay put, but on many occasions it transpires that were going straight on...

They aren't obliged to indicate then are they?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Also, I rant away to myself as some one comes around the roundabout with no indication of where they are going, so I stay put, but on many occasions it transpires that were going straight on...

Not generally but it depends on the size of the roundabout and if the roundabout has lanes!
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are indicators still an optional extra on BMW cars?
  • Options
    ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing more annoying than sitting at a roundabout while car after car turns left without indicating, then when you finally decide you haven't got all night you pull out on the one person who wasn't turning left and they beep at you.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »

You don't indicate if you're going straight on, indicate left when turning left, right when turning right is how it works.