Options

Orphaned Rhino Gertjie refuses to sleep alone after witnessing his mother's death.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my days. I shouldn't have clicked that link.
    I might not eat animals anymore.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted that in the rhino poaching thread. :(

Don't you just love Humanity?

What will happen when there are no more animals in the world left to murder? :confused:
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Doesn't surprise me.

Animals are capable of experiencing happiness, sadness, grief, fear etc etc just like human beings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me.

Animals are capable of experiencing happiness, sadness, grief, fear etc etc just like human beings.

And some have a fantastic sense of humour, see my animal intelligence thread from about a month ago. :)

Corvids are wonderful! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah they're definitely intelligent.

Cats don't have the best seat in the house for no reason!
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Scotty2012 wrote: »

Oh poor, poor baby. He is so sweet. I have such huge respect for the people who care for these lovely animals.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not clicking on the link because if I do, I'll spend the rest of the evening in tears. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I'm not clicking on the link because if I do, I'll spend the rest of the evening in tears. :(

I once saw a Sky News report on Rhino poaching. Although the pictures were blurred on purpose the poor thing was still alive after its horn and half it's face had been hacked off and it was making pitiful squeaking noises. :cry:

It made me sick to my stomach thinking of how these bastards can be so unbelievably cruel. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I once saw a Sky News report on Rhino poaching. Although the pictures were blurred on purpose the poor thing was still alive after its horn and half it's face had been hacked off and it was making pitiful squeaking noises. :cry:

It made me sick to my stomach thinking of how these bastards can be so unbelievably cruel. >:(

I don't generally believe in the death penalty but in cases such as the above I might make an exception.

Boils down to an attitude that animals are inferior to the human race. That and basic callousness.
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to depress anyone. I just felt it was a poignant reminder that some humans are despicable and animals are not mindless, emotionless things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to depress anyone. I just felt it was a poignant reminder that some humans are despicable and animals are not mindless, emotionless things.

I didn't click the link.

You did right. It's important to highlight the cause.

But yeah it can be depressing but it sadly is the norm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have seen worse at least the baby is now receiving some love and attention.

Dogs and cats boiled and skinned alive for food.

Shark-finning, Bear-Bile farming, the list is endless.
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen worse at least the baby is now receiving some love and attention.

Dogs and cats boiled and skinned alive for food.

Shark-finning, Bear-Bile farming, the list is endless.

It's rage inducing and heart breaking isn't it? I watched a documentary a few months ago called Earthlings (you may have seen it) nothing prepared me for that. Even though the acts of cruelty were committed by other people, I couldn't help feeling deeply ashamed to be human.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rage inducing and heart breaking isn't it? I watched a documentary a few months ago called Earthlings (you may have seen it) nothing prepared me for that. Even though the acts of cruelty were committed by other people, I couldn't help feeling deeply ashamed to be human.

I have not seen that but as a student of history I would put nothing past Homo sapiens sapiens.

We have a very long way to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have not seen that but as a student of history I would put nothing past Homo sapiens sapiens.

Homosexuality was legalised in the 1960's and although homophobia still exists most attitudes have changed towards it.

Give it time. I believe attitudes will change towards animals.

I hope so anyhow.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope so anyhow.
    They have, in the west, mostly thankfully, mainly due to campaigning that started in Victorian Britain. There you go, there's a British value for you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Homosexuality was legalised in the 1960's and although homophobia still exists most attitudes have changed towards it.

I hope so anyhow.

I agree, sadly for the vast majority of large animals it is already far too late - they are gone.

There is a reason life on land is so very small now, we have over the millennia wiped out almost every giant bird, reptile and mammal from the face of the earth.

Over 95% in the case of Australia for example.

We have destroyed all of the Megafauna, and the last remaining few (Rhino's, Elephants, Tigers) are in deep, deep trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    They have, in the west, mostly thankfully, mainly due to campaigning that started in Victorian Britain. There you go, there's a British value for you!

I believe the west still has someway to go in improving its treatment of animals.

Although having said that I suppose we at least banned hunting and don't have spectacles like bull fighting, rhino hunting etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I agree, sadly for the vast majority of large animals it is already far too late - they are gone.

There is a reason life on land is so very small now, we have over the millennia wiped out almost every giant bird, reptile and mammal from the face of the earth.

Over 95 % in the case of Australia for example.

We have destroyed all of the Megafauna, and the last remaining few (Rhino's, Elephants, Tigers) are in deep, deep trouble.

It's not right.

It actually makes you ashamed to be a human being.

Something should be done to protect these great animals from extinction.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not only cruel but ignorant, the belief their horns are some medicinal remedy, and even if they were, there is no excuse for this human barbarity

Sad story, poor little thing
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the west still has someway to go in improving its treatment of animals.

Although having said that I suppose we at least banned hunting and don't have spectacles like bull fighting, rhino hunting etc.
    True it is not perfectly humane for sure, but some of the really cruel practices like skinning animals alive that you still see in the east were quite commonplace in Europe before the 19th century, even for animals like horses, until there were campaigns , originating in Britain to stop it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I once seen a programme about the animal rights movement and this was about whaling in particular.

I can't remember who done it I think it might have been an aussie guy but he got up and poured whale blood all over the Japanese guy in the room and said he had their blood on his hands.

Fair play to him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    True it is not perfectly humane for sure, but some of the really cruel practices like skinning animals alive that you still see in the east were quite commonplace in Europe before the 19th century, even for animals like horses, until there were campaigns , originating in Britain to stop it.

Yeah undoubtedly it's improved in some ways.

But still some bit to go. Hopefully in another 100 years. I'd like it to be sooner but realistically it will take time.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you think about it human beings dont change much that quickly.?.No different to the orcs in lord of the rings......only a hundred years ago they used to kill people cut their heads off and stick them on spikes as trophies...the Turks used to roast people alive on spits in their wars in the balkans...so if humans can treat humans like this, what of animals

Rolly eyes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    if you think about it human beings dont change much that quickly.?.No different to the orcs in lord of the rings......only a hundred years ago they used to kill people cut their heads off and stick them on spikes as trophies...the Turks used to roast people alive on spits in their wars in the balkans...so if humans can treat humans like this, what of animals

Rolly eyes

True.

Bearing in mind the second world war only ended 69 years ago and we know what Hitler was like.

Unfortunately society always seems to elect some bloodthirsty tyrant in to power and people go to war over stupid things like in World War 1.