Options

If you saw a Police Officer struggling to arrest someone.Would you offer assistance?.

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    Most are power mad and no better than the criminals themselves, except they hide behind the 'law' to bully and manipulate people.

Couldn't care less if they were at a disadvantage whilst trying to arrest someone. Normally, it's ten cops on one "criminal" - usually a drunk who can't even stand up straight, never mind put up a fight. So, if they're ever the ones to be backed into a corner, I'll gladly walk on by, hoping the criminal managed to throw in a decent punch or two :)

So I take it you would never call the police yourself?
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    The chances of the above taking place are next to nil
    They had the opportunity several times over to have a word with the villains or assist but simply drove past without so much as even pretending to show an interest - leaving me to stand guard over my premises night after night

Why refuse to help one officer because a different one treated you badly in the past?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I take it you would never call the police yourself?

I'd love to see the reply to this. I don't think it'll happen though.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope it's not my job. Also, would it not harm the chances of conviction if an untrained member of the public interfered with an arrest like this?
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    No, I wouldn't risk injury to myself, nor any possibility of subsequent legal action against me by either the police or the other party. Indeed, the police advise us not to be "have a go heroes" - their words.

I would, however, ring the police and tell them what was going on.

I imagine he would be too busy to answer his phone and hear your reasons for not helping. :p
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »
    Why refuse to help one officer because a different one treated you badly in the past?

Not a different 'one' - Several different ones on several different occasions !
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope it's not my job. Also, would it not harm the chances of conviction if an untrained member of the public interfered with an arrest like this?

The law allows anyone to use force to arrest, or assist an arrest, so why would it risk a conviction? :confused:

I've had people assist me in the past, and I've been grateful. Obviously, I would assist if required.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Not a different 'one' - Several different ones on several different occasions !

My point was what if it was a different officer getting a kicking would you still decide not to help them because someone else didn't help you?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`m a five foot tall, size eight, middle aged woman, i`d get my arse kicked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    Most are power mad and no better than the criminals themselves, except they hide behind the 'law' to bully and manipulate people.

Couldn't care less if they were at a disadvantage whilst trying to arrest someone. Normally, it's ten cops on one "criminal" - usually a drunk who can't even stand up straight, never mind put up a fight. So, if they're ever the ones to be backed into a corner, I'll gladly walk on by, hoping the criminal managed to throw in a decent punch or two :)

Blimey, I wish I'd worked in an area where we had 10 Officers available to deal with one drunk.

There are very few that have those kind of numbers I can assure you.

This is just another of those mud slinging posts, with no substance at all.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The law allows anyone to use force to arrest, or assist an arrest, so why would it risk a conviction? :confused:

I've had people assist me in the past, and I've been grateful. Obviously, I would assist if required.

Well, I am not going to risk injury to myself or legal complications if some idiot criminal goes all baw bag. It is not worth being a good Samaritan these days.
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think stepping in whilst an officer is trying make an arrest could be counter productive by causing a distraction.

I would certainly want to help but Police officers are trained to deal with situations like this.

However if it was some 14 year old little vandal who happened to get away I would certainly chase him down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure to be honest because I always enjoy shows like Police, Camera Action, Motorway Cops, Police Interceptors etc more when the villains escape.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'd love to see the reply to this. I don't think it'll happen though.

I've had to exhale, i was going blue! :D
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I would probably not involve myself.

Especially because presumably I wouldn't know what offence had been committed, i'd feel awful if I had contributed to somebody's arrest for some silly law that I didn't agree with.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since I'm 4' 11 the answer to this is no, unless I had something like a cosh with me, which is unlikely. Anyhow, here in North London the Police always seem to be either in cars or in groups. I don't think I've ever seen one alone. As for being asked to help---- well that's not going to happen, I'm far too small. My 12 year old is almost as tall as me already.

assistance doesn't have to be physical. What if they needed your assistance to call for back up while restraining someone?

i remember having to use my whole body, legs arms, hands and feet to restrain a suspect once, he was bloody huge. I had to ask someone to dial 999 for me to get assistance. I couldn't losen my grip at all.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I am not going to risk injury to myself or legal complications if some idiot criminal goes all baw bag. It is not worth being a good Samaritan these days.

This is exactly what is wrong with our society. It's always worth being a good Samaritan if you're able to. It's a selfish attitude to just think of yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might make a big star shape with my body like goalkeepers do during penalties to deter the culprit from escaping though.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    No. It's not my job. I'm selfish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    No. It's not my job. I'm selfish.

At least you are honest, and as they say, honesty is the best policy.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Other

No way

Sentencing is so weak in Britain and criminals remember. I would most likely have my house torched or get beaten up later on... and what are the benefits? The policeman might say 'thank you' and that would be the end of it or he might arrest me if I hurt the criminal or accidentally obstructed the arrest. The criminal could even sue me.

It's a sorry state of affairs but for decent people and victims, the British justice system is not on your side.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a single copper asked for help when they were obviously being overpowered by a suspect, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    I would probably not involve myself.

Especially because presumably I wouldn't know what offence had been committed, i'd feel awful if I had contributed to somebody's arrest for some silly law that I didn't agree with.

The example was two people attacking a Police officer. Do you agree that is wrong?
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    No, I wouldn't risk injury to myself, nor any possibility of subsequent legal action against me, by either the police or the other party. Indeed, the police advise not to be a "have a go hero" - their words.

I would, however, call the police and tell them what was going on.

So if you saw a police woman getting beaten up by a wee thug you would just stand and watch after you made your call? I could not do that I would have to help her.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since I'm 4' 11 the answer to this is no, unless I had something like a cosh with me, which is unlikely. Anyhow, here in North London the Police always seem to be either in cars or in groups. I don't think I've ever seen one alone. As for being asked to help---- well that's not going to happen, I'm far too small. My 12 year old is almost as tall as me already.

If it is impossible for someone to actually be of any assistance there is no way they should try to of course.