Options

He beat her and murdered her son - And she got 45 years in jail

dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
Forum Member
A long read but an interesting, sad, maddening and bewildering one as well. I don't get it. I just don't get it. Do other countries have laws like this?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexcampbell/how-the-law-turns-battered-women-into-criminals#4gt2jjb

Comments

• Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit, actually that article is so badly written I can't make much out of it.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Edit, actually that article is so badly written I can't make much out of it.

She didn't kill anybody. From what I can make out, the charge was derived from a failure to protect her young child from the guy that murdered him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He got life and she got 45 years for failing to protect him. The only report is from buzzfeed

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/10/03/buzzfeed_domestic_violence_investigation_how_victims_are_imprisoned_for.html
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she deserved anywhere NEAR 45 years in prison. That's outrageously unfair. Whoever handed her that sentence, they should be sacked! She supposedly tried to make a run for it with her child, so that doesn't tell me that she wasn't trying to protect him. Okay, she should have tried to stop her partner from harming the child while knowing that they'd be hit for doing so, but considering that she tried to make a run for it with the child, 45 years in prison is insanely unfair.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's horrible.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems fair enough to me. The important but is for months. In other words the abuse was ongoing and she failed to remove her child from the situation.

The issue isn't that she tried to run with the child that night but why didn't she remove him when the abuse first started. It was her responsibility to keep him safe.

Her child was beaten and abused for months. What did she do to keep him safe?
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Why did I know it was the USA. I probably would have guessed Texas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    45 years is a bit much. People underestimate the power of fear.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    A long read but an interesting, sad, maddening and bewildering one as well. I don't get it. I just don't get it. Do other countries have laws like this?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexcampbell/how-the-law-turns-battered-women-into-criminals#4gt2jjb

Wow!

That article really is trying it's hardest to be controversial, isn't it?

A couple of hundred words about an incident involving breakfast cereal, painting the father as a nutcase and the mother as a scared, innocent, bystander, and then a single sentence skimming over the rest of the day which ended with the child dead.

I haven't googled anything about this case but I'd be willing to bet that, if I did, it'd reveal that the extent of this woman's culpability went far beyond being a frightened, intimidated, unwilling accomplice.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Seems fair enough to me. The important but is for months. In other words the abuse was ongoing and she failed to remove her child from the situation.

The issue isn't that she tried to run with the child that night but why didn't she remove him when the abuse first started. It was her responsibility to keep him safe.

Her child was beaten and abused for months. What did she do to keep him safe?

She was a victim of sustained domestic violence. That often has a significant and severe effect on the decisions you make and the thought processes you have. She may well have thought that trying to leave would have resulted in both her and her child's death. It's very easy to say "Why didn't she leave?" but if it was that simple, there would be far less DV

I read the full article the other evening - there are examples where the (abused) mother has received a longer sentence than the abuser!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    She was a victim of sustained domestic violence.
    Her child was 3 years old. The article says months of abuse. That's not sustained abuse warping your psyche and ability to make decisions. Thats closer to fecklessly moving in a violent boyfriend and failing to protect your child from the results of your decision. And the jury after listening to the evidence agreed it was the latter rather than former. What makes you think they were wrong?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    45 years behind bars must surely be equivalent to a life sentence when interned in an environment such as a prison, seems OTT to me,
    but then it was in America,& could have got 145yrs. instead of 45yrs.
    :o >:(
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    The man deserved life imprisonment.

The woman should have ensured her child was safe but this is obviously a tragic case and domestic violence isn't always clear cut black and white.

I think 45 years is excessive as I'm sure she tried to protect her child and wasn't one of these people who knew the child was being abused and simply didn't care/ turned a blind eye as you sadly sometimes hear about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    I think 45 years is excessive as I'm sure she tried to protect her child and wasn't one of these people who knew the child was being abused and simply didn't care/ turned a blind eye as you sadly sometimes hear about.

It seems she was. The article says he had been abused and beaten for months. She was still with her boyfriend despite that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Her child was 3 years old. The article says months of abuse. That's not sustained abuse warping your psyche and ability to make decisions. Thats closer to fecklessly moving in a violent boyfriend and failing to protect your child from the results of your decision. And the jury after listening to the evidence agreed it was the latter rather than former. What makes you think they were wrong?

Just read this after posting.

Sometimes leaving a violent partner can be one of the most dangerous times.

There are numerous cases of women being murdered after leaving an abusive partner.

However if there's a 3 year old child being abused then she should have left him and moved to a safe house somewhere that he wouldn't find them.

Best thing to do is to wait til the abuser goes to work or goes out, pack your bags and just leave without saying as packing your bags in front of abuser will likely lead to confrontation.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a transcript of the woman's sentencing.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1277580-lindley-sentencing-transcript.html

Seems she was offered a 10 year sentence for a guilty plea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems she was. The article says he had been abused and beaten for months. She was still with her boyfriend despite that.

It could have been out of fear.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's shocking.

So many horror stories involving babies and children.

I think I read a while back a case of a man who was jailed for beating a baby to death and in court with him was a heavily pregnant girlfriend.

Thankfully he got jailed as I dread to think what would have happened to the soon to arrive baby.

How these men get women is beyond me.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    She didn't kill anybody. From what I can make out, the charge was derived from a failure to protect her young child from the guy that murdered him.

Yes, the general view is that as a mother in an abusive situation, it's your duty to be killed than allowing your child to be killed if you somehow failed to contact the police or hospital.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    She was a victim of sustained domestic violence. That often has a significant and severe effect on the decisions you make and the thought processes you have. She may well have thought that trying to leave would have resulted in both her and her child's death. It's very easy to say "Why didn't she leave?" but if it was that simple, there would be far less DV

Well, I'm sure she, and her lawyers, would love to paint her that way.

Seems like there are, however, also an awful lot of people who're in mutually abusive relationships and who're, basically, just feral and don't give a toss about anybody or anything.

Maybe the jury, here, was made up of pious, self-righteous people who judged her harshly but, OTOH, maybe she actually got the sentence her behaviour warranted and she's just trying to re-invent herself retrospectively.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading the transcripts of the trial, she had left Turner previously because of abuse and then gone back to him.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1277580-lindley-sentencing-transcript.html

Number. 188
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It could have been out of fear.
    Maybe she should have put fear of her child's safety ahead of her fear. She did have a duty to protect him. If she wants to stay with an abuser that's her problem. It's sitting by and letting her an get battered for months that she was prosecuted and in that he is the victim not her. He was the victim of both an abuser and of a negligent parent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she should have put fear of her child's safety ahead of her fear. She did have a duty to protect him. If she wants to stay with an abuser that's her problem. It's sitting by and letting her an get battered for months that she was prosecuted and in that he is the victim not her. He was the victim of both an abuser and of a negligent parent.

45 years is a ridiculous sentence to be handed for this though. America, as always, is ridiculous with their sentencing. Maybe only some states are, I dunno.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd say the domestic violence records of many Asian and African countries are a lot worse than America.

In many of those countries the woman is often blamed for the violence and the man gets off scott free.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I read the full article the other evening - there are examples where the (abused) mother has received a longer sentence than the abuser!

And, as in Britain, the man with a serious list of violent behaviour, was not jailed but always returned home to continue. She feared his return if she turned him in.