Forum Member
And actually given up smoking with it?

Comments

• Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And actually given up smoking with it?

My friend tried to give up smoking and went on the e-cig. He then got back into the smoking habit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Lil_M wrote: »
    My friend tried to give up smoking and went on the e-cig. He then got back into the smoking habit.

That's what Im thinking... have given up for Stoptober and managing okay but thought about getting the E-cig for my tough days, but don't want to start something off again
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my first e-cig a shade over two years ago. Finished the pack I had at the time, never had another one.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm ****ing hooked man.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I started my e-cig just over three weeks ago, and haven't touched a cigarette since. Haven't even wanted to.
  • Options
    year 1957year 1957 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I'm ****ing hooked man.

Same here, well and truly hooked, but does`nt seem to do me any harm:)
  • Options
    Bex7t6Bex7t6 Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what Im thinking... have given up for Stoptober and managing okay but thought about getting the E-cig for my tough days, but don't want to start something off again

I too have given up for Stoptober. I am doing pretty well and have only had the odd stick of gum at desperate times. Those times have been very few and I have smoked since very early teens. I am now 37, so a long time as a smoker.

A friend of mine has been using e-cigs a while and says she now has them more often than she smoked regular cigarettes. Where she used to go outside to smoke, she now has e-cigs while watching TV, while ironing, etc. Although they may not be as harmful, they definitely replace one habit for another. I won't be buying them.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tried it for 2 months. Felt worse on them. Woke up every morning coughing my guts up. Have friend who's a nurse which said she's seen loads of people complaining of a bad tight chest and major migraines after being on e-cigs. They are not regulated and some contain chemicals which are dangerous and not government tested/approved. You have no idea what you're putting in your lungs. At least with **** you know the dangers but with e-cigs you don't know what's in that liquid.

Best way to give up is use approved stuff like patches, gum or nicotine inhalers or beat still willpower.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Bex7t6 wrote: »
    I too have given up for Stoptober. I am doing pretty well and have only had the odd stick of gum at desperate times. Those times have been very few and I have smoked since very early teens. I am now 37, so a long time as a smoker.

A friend of mine has been using e-cigs a while and says she now has them more often than she smoked regular cigarettes. Where she used to go outside to smoke, she now has e-cigs while watching TV, while ironing, etc. Although they may not be as harmful, they definitely replace one habit for another. I won't be buying them.

Good luck Bex
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Tried it for 2 months. Felt worse on them. Woke up every morning coughing my guts up. Have friend who's a nurse which said she's seen loads of people complaining of a bad tight chest and major migraines after being on e-cigs. They are not regulated and some contain chemicals which are dangerous and not government tested/approved. You have no idea what you're putting in your lungs. At least with **** you know the dangers but with e-cigs you don't know what's in that liquid.

Best way to give up is use approved stuff like patches, gum or nicotine inhalers or beat still willpower.

Oh not another one...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck Bex

I realise that if I start again, it will be a silly mistake. The only thing that will get in my of staying off the cigs will be my own stupidity.
    We smokers romanticise our enjoyment of smoking. The longed for cigarette doesn't live up to the reality. From giving up and starting again before, I know that fact only too well.

BTW I haven't had coffee or alcohol this week, because there is too much association between them and cigarettes for me. Had a bit of a caffeine withdrawal headache. That has been the worst symptom since giving up smoking and not directly related :D
    Other withdrawal symptoms have been racing thoughts (my ADHD was self medicated with smoking believe it or not), restless leg syndrome has been pretty bad and nightmares.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »

Migraines, coughing and tight chestedness have nothing to do with e-cig use what soever they are perfectly normal symtoms of quitting smoking. Although I would be wary of some of the cheap market stall rubbish, most long term Vapers like myself either buy from reputable suppliers or blend our own liquids so we know exactly what goes in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IAlthough they may not be as harmful, they definitely replace one habit for another. I won't be buying them.

I think you may be missing the point of them. If you want to attempt quitting go with Allan Carr, cold turkey or NRT. Vaping is an alternative to smoking, not a method of quitting.

Good luck with the quit btw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pavster wrote: »
    I think you may be missing the point of them. If you want to attempt quitting go with Allan Carr, cold turkey or NRT. Vaping is an alternative to smoking, not a method of quitting.

I am sure many on e-cigs would ideally want to do neither though.
    Thanks for the good luck. I am pretty proud of myself so far:)
  • Options
    Forum Member

A very pleasnt alternatie to smoking, also give up tomatoes
    and beans,potatoes,aubergines ,and you can be almost nicotine free.:)
  • Options
    SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't coughing up loads after just quitting smoking quite normal? I learnt about it at school a long time ago mind, so I may well be wrong. Something about the little hairs in your lungs now standing up with no tar to push them down?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure many on e-cigs would ideally want to do neither though.
    Thanks for the good luck. I am pretty proud of myself so far:)

Neither what? Sorry, tired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ssdd wrote: »
    Isn't coughing up loads after just quitting smoking quite normal? I learnt about it at school a long time ago mind, so I may well be wrong. Something about the little hairs in your lungs now standing up with no tar to push them down?

Correct, also another symptom I hear associated with e-cig use bleeding gums again not a symptom of e-cig use at all just the normal blood flow returning faster than smoke damaged blood vessels can repair them selves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither what? Sorry, tired.

Neither wish to smoke cigarettes or use e-cigs. I too am tired. Night:)
  • Options
    TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cigs to E-Cigs is an absolute no brainer.

E-Ciggers almost out number smokers now at my workplace.

Good luck banning them.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Migraines, coughing and tight chestedness have nothing to do with e-cig use what soever they are perfectly normal symtoms of quitting smoking. Although I would be wary of some of the cheap market stall rubbish, most long term Vapers like myself either buy from reputable suppliers or blend our own liquids so we know exactly what goes in it.

I gave up previously for 4 years cold turkey and it wasn't the same as when I went on to e-cigs. E-cigs made my throat very sore and dry even on VG vapour and I had a permanent migraine and heavy tight wheezey chest. It felt like I had a permanent chest infection. Yes I'll admit you do cough up rubbish after giving up but every day I felt a bit better but after I gave up for the second time and tried to use vapours it genuinely made me feel a whole lot worse. I bought a bottle of glycerine and some flavouring and mixed my own after trying the market stall stuff but still found I had a bad chest. Possibly because it wasn't actually killing my craving so I was vaping constantly but as I only smoke about 15 to 20 a week I wasn't what you'd call a heavy smoker I found that also it was costing me more. What I paid for a starter kit was the equivalent of 5 weeks in ****. Plus after buying the starter kit, the cartomizer packed up after only 2 weeks so had to fork out another fiver for a new one meaning it was costing me a lot more than what I was spending on cigarettes and felt a lot worse in the process. Also with cigarettes at least you're aware of how much you're smoking but you can easilly chain vape and have no idea how much you're inhaling or indeed 'what' you're inhaling.

At present, vapours do not by law have to state their contents so for all I know I could have been taking in God knows how many toxic chemicals. These things are not regulated or medically tested so there's a chance they could be doing you more harm than smoking.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't start on e-cigs to stop smoking.
    But it just so happened that the way things turned out I just ended up stopping anyway without even trying.
    That was just coming up to 3 years ago now.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to stop a few years ago and struggled so I bought a e-cig. All it did was help me get back onto the normal ****.

I had another attempt last year, I used the Allen Carr method and have been smoke free for almost a year now. E-cigs didn't work for me but I know that's not true of everyone who tries them. I found that stopping without any NRT was the best way for me but we're all different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to stop a few years ago and struggled so I bought a e-cig. All it did was help me get back onto the normal ****.

I had another attempt last year, I used the Allen Carr method and have been smoke free for almost a year now. E-cigs didn't work for me but I know that's not true of everyone who tries them. I found that stopping without any NRT was the best way for me but we're all different.

E-cigs should never be used if it your intension to quit smoking, they are not a smoking cessation product they are a tobacco alternitive. All of the reputable vendor advise not to use e-cigs if you intend to stop smoking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started on them to quit real cigs, save money and not get cancer. 3/3 so far.