Is it normal for Aspie people to be violent/have violent thoughts

2»

Comments

• potpourripotpourri Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Thanks its good (or maybe not) to know others have experienced the same thing, I did basically have the overwhelming feeling that I was just dismissed by the NHS services as I was too 'difficult', or, basically they were not experienced or dedicated enough to know what was really wrong if pills didn't seem to be working.

I've met many people diagnosed with AS who have had a traumatic background. Sometimes people just shut down emotionally, obsessions/ OCD become a way to cope and distract yourself. Plus, what is wrong with being very interested in things? I had 'alexithymia' which is emotional blindness, as a result of abuse, so had difficulty expressing my emotions. But I learned to express myself with therapy.

God knows where I'd be had I not seen this therapist who helped me see the truth.

I know of many people who were diagnosed with AS but later got help for Schizoid Personality Disorder and trauma issues.

Do you want to explain what difficulties are you having?
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shared a flat with an aspie who ended up slashing my leather jacket when I was out after I looked at him funny. So I would say yes.
    Jesus! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not an expert on Aspergers, but my son has it, BUT he can understand facial expressions and mostly empathise with people.

He gets very 'ranty' if he thinks something is unfair. that's his big 'thing' people being fair... not sure I have anything to do with that, as I am very big on 'fairness'
  • year 1957year 1957 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I used to watch Boston Legal and one of the lawyers Jerry Espenson has aspergers. In one episode he held a knife to one of the partners throats. I know this is just a tv series but I think the portrayal of someone who has the condition was spot on.

For christ sake they were lawyer`s:D
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is normal for anyone to have violent thoughts. Most of us don't take them any further.

It can be very frustrating having Aspergers, particularly if you are dealing with people who are not logical and who are in a position of authority.

Frustration can lead to violence if people do not have sufficient filters/damping mechanisms.
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert on Aspergers, but my son has it, BUT he can understand facial expressions and mostly empathise with people.

He gets very 'ranty' if he thinks something is unfair. that's his big 'thing' people being fair... not sure I have anything to do with that, as I am very big on 'fairness'
    When he gets 'ranty', does he repeat the same little bit several times over? :confused: