Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    Shame to lose Ozil. We are now without Ozil, Walcott, Ramsey and Wilshere. £150m worth of talent by today's prices I reckon. Who wouldn't miss those players? It would be like Bayern having Robben, Ribery, Muller and Kroos missing.

Ramsey should be back on Sunday.
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we're out of the CL again, not a surprise really. Both years we've performed really well in the second legs, but unfortunately both years the damage was already done in the first legs. Good performance tonight, particularly impressed with Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski and Fabianski. Shame to go out but it wasn't unexpected so now we move onto the North London Derby with Spurs on Sunday, that's a must-win for both pride and title hopes.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Very frustrating last night. They are a very good side. It is true what Wenger said afterwards though regarding the luck of the last 16 draws we 've had in recent years. Barcelona twice and Bayern twice - and each when they were the best side in Europe.

All done with now. Time to wipe our mouth and move on.

Come on you Reds.
  • Options
    mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he got to the final a few times and the semi and quarters a few times. The problem is not tactics Its not being complacent in the group stages and winning the group.

Its also having a team to match the best teams, we have not had that in the last however many seasons hence why we always fall short.

This is why is frustrating because its not like we get beaten bad its by the odd goal here and there.

We just need to spend money on top players and hope this time next season we don't have injuries and finish in top spot.

BIB - He has made 1 final and 1 semi.
  • Options
    Slainte MhathSlainte Mhath Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Perhaps we need to be a bit more street wise ourselves next year.

There was a moment in the game, I can't remember exactly when, when an Arsenal player was bringing the ball out of defence and clearly wasn't going anywhere and in the end they played a speculative pass that was easily intercepted and let Bayern back onto the front foot. I remember watching that and thinking that had that been a Bayern player he'd have kept the ball and tried to draw a foul out of someone.

Overall I thought Arsenal acquitted themselves well, but several players just looked out of their depth at that level: Arteta, Cazorla, Giroud, Podolski and Ozil (though I expect his level to pick back up when Ramsey's back...)

It's not that they aren't very good players and plenty of teams around the world would be more than glad to have them (and I don't advocate Arsenal ditching them altogether), but when measured against the best the world has to offer they're just not quite good enough. There was a time when Arsenal *did* have players to match the very best...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I completely disagree that we should go down the road of copying the cheating antics of our European neighbours.

This claim from some quarters that if you feel a touch you have a right to go down and claim a foul is completely preposterous. The game is ruined by this sort of thing.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    Very frustrating last night. They are a very good side. It is true what Wenger said afterwards though regarding the luck of the last 16 draws we 've had in recent years. Barcelona twice and Bayern twice - and each when they were the best side in Europe.

All done with now. Time to wipe our mouth and move on.

Come on you Reds.

This is true but had we won our group in these instances then we would have been facing teams not as good as Barcelona and BM. Somehow we contrive to mess things up in the group stage. There's no guarantee it will always work out that way but you give yourself a better chance of progressing further as group winners than runners up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is true but had we won our group in these instances then we would have been facing teams not as good as Barcelona and BM. Somehow we contrive to mess things up in the group stage. There's no guarantee it will always work out that way but you give yourself a better chance of progressing further as group winners than runners up.

Yes fair point.

All over and done with now. Still a lot to play for this season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    Yes fair point.

All over and done with now. Still a lot to play for this season.

Yes there is. I do think the title is beyond us now but we have 10 games left, 2 of which are tricky and the rest we should win/draw if we don't switch off. We can ill afford any more lengthy injuries. Hopefully Ramsey will be back very soon and dare I say it Diaby too. He's due back sometime this month but won't hold my breath on that. Kallstrom must be nearly ready too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes there is. I do think the title is beyond us now but we have 10 games left, 2 of which are tricky and the rest we should win/draw if we don't switch off. We can ill afford any more lengthy injuries. Hopefully Ramsey will be back very soon and dare I say it Diaby too. He's due back sometime this month but won't hold my breath on that. Kallstrom must be nearly ready too.

Losing Ramsey was a big blow.

He was the best player in the PL for the first few months of the season.

I'm really looking forward to the run in now. Great to be in the FA Cup semi too. Hoping for an exciting end to the season.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Hope Ozil's injury isnt too serious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Hope Ozil's injury isnt too serious.

Wenger said 'weeks'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Season over then? :(
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike joyce wrote: »
    BIB - He has made 1 final and 1 semi.

sorry i meant Uefa cup final and Cl final and then We went to 1 semi in the Cl.

Not really only a few years ago we won our group and got Milan and still went out. The problem is not having a good 1st leg and not having the players.

Had we had better players and more pace then we'd have seen a different result.
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Season over then? :(

Well he seems to be fatigued this will do him good.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not really only a few years ago we won our group and got Milan and still went out. The problem is not having a good 1st leg and not having the players.

I did say there is no guarantee but you give yourself a better chance of avoiding the big guns by winning the group more often than not. Plus you get to play the 2nd leg at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's the gift that keeps on giving :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's a shameless nuisance.

The sooner we get shot of him the better.
  • Options
    wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramsey,Ozil,Wallcott & Jack all missing for Sunday & more than likely all of March.
    It does'nt get any easier.
    COYG
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ozil out for 4 weeks.
  • Options
    TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »

:o What a prat!
    victor mel wrote: »
    Ozil out for 4 weeks.

4 weeks? Hmmm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    As good as he is Ozil won't be that much of a loss, Cazorla can slot back into the middle and perform to the required standard. Ramsey should be back after Tottenham which will make things look a lot better.

I'd be very surprised if we beat Spurs in their cup final at the weekend. We haven't won at WHL since 2007.
  • Options
    TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    I see the laughing stock are providing the Thursday comedy! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As long as we don't lose on Sunday we should be fine IMO.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiron wrote: »
    I see the laughing stock are providing the Thursday comedy! :D

They've replaced Morecambe & Wise as the prime time evening entertainment.

Gooner Tim will be on later looking depressed again.
This discussion has been closed.