Options

Installing Microsoft Security Essentials

I have windows 7. I am concerned to get the max security (in the wake of game over zeus virus). I currently have Malware and McAffee. Is it a good idea to also get MS Sec Essentials?

I was going to proceed with this but hit a snag ie. a sign came up saying to completely remove any internet security programme (antivirus/anti spy software) before installing it. This would mean Malware and McAffee wouldn't it? If so, surely these are better than MS sec essentials. What are your thoughts/experiences on this?

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep Malwarebytes, get rid of McAfee. Malwarebytes can work alongside any actual anti-virus software you have.

Get Avira, Avast, AVG, Panda, Kaspersky or Nod32. I'm fairly sure each of those is a better bet than MSE at the moment. This is what has been suggested to you in your other threads.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget about Security Essentials as Microsoft have ended support.
    Get rid of Mcafee
    Use the FREE version of Panda. Its a case of install it & forget about it as it updates in the background.
    You will only need to use to do a virus scan.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot run 2 AV softwares at the same time they will conflict as they are doing the same job.
    You would have to uninstall McAfee and then install MSE.

Stick with what you know how to use, keep McAfee updated, along with Windows and your Web Browser(s) and any linked stuff like FlashPlayer, Java, any Web Browser add-ons etc.

It's you the user that need to educate yourself about the methods of transmission of such Viruses and Malware. This is a big part of the problem which is largely ignored.

Better the devil you know.

Don't start panic installs of unfamiliar software in some vaguely 'better' preventative measure.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Switching AV providers is one of the biggest drivers of Winrot I reckon given how deeply they have to hook in to the system.

Stick with McAfee until your subscription ends then think about moving. Good user security habits are your biggest defence.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely Only for XP not on Win7?

OP If McAfee is screwing with your PC performance wise then switch. If it's not then leave it alone

Malwarebytes will happily work along side either
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,849
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your advice. So I will stick with what I have then i.e. Malware and McAfee. McAfee is free, i.e. not on subscription - think it updates itself.

2 of you mention Panda as being better than McAfee - in what way? I like McAfee since it provides a useful, visual guide when google searching, i.e. the green tick (or not) as to what is safe to click on.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    McAfee is free, i.e. not on subscription - think it updates itself.

AFAIK McAfee is not and never has been free. http://home.mcafee.com/store
    It's possible, of course, you have BT Net Protect (McAfee) which was/is free with some packages http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27269
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Malwarebytes will happily work along side either

Insofar as it will work happily alongside anything. I run the paid version of Malwarebytes and regularly have to shut it down because it's slowing my system to a crawl.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No they haven't?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, it hasn't. MSE has been built into Windows 8 and 8.1 as Windows Defender (which confusingly has nothing to do with the old Windows Defender years ago). It's automatically turned off when a different antivirus program is installed, and it'll be automatically turned back on the moment the antivirus program is uninstalled.

MSE support for Windows 7 and under still exists.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    AFAIK McAfee is not and never has been free. http://home.mcafee.com/store
    It's possible, of course, you have BT Net Protect (McAfee) which was/is free with some packages http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27269

It could be that McAfee Safety Scan that comes with Flash updates or Java. Absolutely useless.

MS EMET is probably the only way to harden the security beyond 'standard' AV/AM etc.

It probably will be beyond the understanding of many users, so it depends which tin hat you want to wear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also also recommend an occasional run of adwcleaner and ccleaner
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insofar as it will work happily alongside anything. I run the paid version of Malwarebytes and regularly have to shut it down because it's slowing my system to a crawl.

Unless the real-time protection in the paid for Malwarebytes is heavy on resources. I was thinking about getting the paid for version for the real-time protection. I can't say if it's because your computer's slow or if it's because you have something on your system because I don't have the paid for version.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth does anyone quantify the protection of Malware bytes?

At least MSE is quantified, even if it comes out some where between middling and useless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

At least MSE is quantified, even if it comes out some where between middling and useless.[/quote]

I wouldn't disagree with that.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Installing Microsoft Security Essentials

Tbh, it's not the best :o and there are better antivirus alternatives out there:

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/?avtest[type]=3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Microsoft Windows Defender gets bottom for protection.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »

At least MSE is quantified, even if it comes out some where between middling and useless.

MS themselves have been actively advising consumers not to use MSE as they no longer support it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    MS themselves have been actively advising consumers not to use MSE as they no longer support it.

Then they should remove the download of it if they're not supporting it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you have a link to that, because I've only ever seen it in the context of XP - due to XP being unsupported?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, they've not said that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/security-essentials-product-information#tabs1=overview

The only comment MS may have made is that MSE provides 'basic' protection. It is still better than no antivirus at all.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that, because I've only ever seen it in the context of XP - due to XP being unsupported?

And even that's not quite right as they've said that they will support MSE on XP for a while (don't recall for how long, maybe a year?)
  • Options
    MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    And even that's not quite right as they've said that they will support MSE on XP for a while (don't recall for how long, maybe a year?)

Try and run MSE on XP.

MSE stopped on my XP machine early April.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never understand when someone says get rid of X Anti-virus and install Y Anti-virus instead. None of these programs will catch everything and thinking it will achieve such a thing is part of the problem. The first line of security is the person using the PC and anything else is just to help cover your back so speak. Don't click dodgy email attachments, stay away from torrents, keep Windows plus programs up to date and exercise general caution when surfing.... you'll be fine.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    CaveMan wrote: »
    Never understand when someone says get rid of X Anti-virus and install Y Anti-virus instead. None of these programs will catch everything and thinking it will achieve such a thing is part of the problem. The first line of security is the person using the PC and anything else is just to help cover your back so speak. Don't click dodgy email attachments, stay away from torrents, keep Windows plus programs up to date and exercise general caution when surfing.... you'll be fine.

Just stay well clear of AV threads like I do otherwise you'll get wound up by the idiotic comments and the endless useless comparisons every bloody week!