Legal to Point a CCTV Camera Right Down Neighbour's Garden?

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Yes we're both council tenants so they were going to be my next port of call.

They are useless though. I think they are covering their own arses. At least all the other houses are now equally annoyed and want something done - so we may get taken more seriously.

Have you tried raising this with your local councillor? He /she is your representative on the council and should help you to raise the matter with the appropriate officer. If the other people who object to the cameras did the same it might give more weight to the complaint.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found out this afternoon that a neighbour across from me has a camera pointed straight at the back of my house. I rang the local community beat officer who told me this is not allowed and should only be pointing inside his property.

She said she would visit him and ask to see any footage and see what to do next.

We have had disputes with this guy previously and my neighbour next door has had issues with this camera being pointed at his house.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found this site which has some interesting answers.
    Q Can my neighbours complain about my use of CCTV?

A Yes, however, it is a civil matter not criminal so the complaint would have to be through a solicitor about a breach of their right to privacy. You should consult a solicitor if you receive a complaint.

http://www.homecctvdirect.co.uk/home-cctv-law.html
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I would buy a fast growing tree /s to block the view or try to extend the height of your fence. I really wouldn't be comfortable with someone being able to view / record my back garden.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I think I would buy a fast growing tree /s to block the view or try to extend the height of your fence. I really wouldn't be comfortable with someone being able to view / record my back garden.

Yes, Porcupine - how ironic I finally got round to cutting down some 10 year old and 30 foot high leylandis on that side, only months before these fools moved in. Although thing is, the camera is mounted so high that it could see right over anyway, I think. It's instructive he did it three days after we raised the fence at the one point we could raise the fence, a gap at the top between the coal hole and our house...

I've looked online today and even in kit form these things cost hundreds. How do these people afford it? If I had no carpets or furniture in my house I'd probably prioritise that...

I am definitely going down the child protection route, as him and the Mrs already stand at their side door watching my kids play football which freaks out even my kids.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

I believe the max height of a fence is 2m before you need planning permission. 1m if its next to a public footpath or road.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    It's like I said in the thread about filming in public, the law really needs updating and clarifying on these issues.

It really shouldn't come down to luck what happens.

It doesn't help when laws themselves use vague terms like "anti social behaviour" and such. What is anti social behaviour to one person may not be to another.

It's all a grey area as people can legally film the street as it's a public place, but then houses are in streets and so will be filmed as well. Obviously you are not supposed to zoom in on people's window and the inside of their house but just where is that cutting off point?
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    I have found out this afternoon that a neighbour across from me has a camera pointed straight at the back of my house. I rang the local community beat officer who told me this is not allowed and should only be pointing inside his property.

She said she would visit him and ask to see any footage and see what to do next.

We have had disputes with this guy previously and my neighbour next door has had issues with this camera being pointed at his house.

But then you can film in the street and so she is wrong. As I said it's all a grey area and not helped by uniformed police making bold statements that are wrong.

If I'm filming my mate in the street and someone's house is behind them like it will be in nearly all situations, then that is filming there house.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Yes, Porcupine - how ironic I finally got round to cutting down some 10 year old and 30 foot high leylandis on that side, only months before these fools moved in. Although thing is, the camera is mounted so high that it could see right over anyway, I think. It's instructive he did it three days after we raised the fence at the one point we could raise the fence, a gap at the top between the coal hole and our house...

I've looked online today and even in kit form these things cost hundreds. How do these people afford it? If I had no carpets or furniture in my house I'd probably prioritise that...

I am definitely going down the child protection route, as him and the Mrs already stand at their side door watching my kids play football which freaks out even my kids.

BIB. You were on a thread not so long ago, complaining that you wanted a cctv camera yourself and couldn't afford it. This wouldn't be jealousy, would it?

Are you seriously talking 'child protection' about people outside their own door??
    When whomever you contact stops laughing, they'll tell you to stop your children playing there if you're bothered.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then you can film in the street and so she is wrong. As I said it's all a grey area and not helped by uniformed police making bold statements that are wrong.

If I'm filming my mate in the street and someone's house is behind them like it will be in nearly all situations, then that is filming there house.

This guy has a camera fixed to his bedroom window clearly facing directly at my back door and windows....a lot different from filming a mate in the street, this guy is filming 24/7 for all I know and could easily be zooming into my house when the doors and windows are open in the hot weather.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    The law regarding "filming in a public place" covers areas where there is no expectation of privacy, eg. on a beach, in the street etc.
    I think there is a clear expectation of privacy in the totally enclosed rear garden of a dwelling. The neighbour is clearly wrong to have a camera so sited that the image it records includes property other than "his own".

As to their constantly standing outside, they're being new tenants on a probationary period, will have included in that tenancy a ban on smoking inside (the dwelling being the "place of work" for HA operatives), a restriction which probably won't affect legacy tenancies.

It sounds to me like they're a dodgy lot anyway. Paranoid. Now the CCTV is up, it won't be long before the iron gates cover the external doors. Do they have strangers visiting at all hours?
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op,any update ?
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Are they fully wired or wired for power and wireless for images?

You might be able to take a look at the pics...
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Not all systems cost hundreds of pounds. Dont understand what you mean child protection route as cannot see any offence at all being committed. Stading and watching kids play football dont think comes under child protection
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    The law regarding "filming in a public place" covers areas where there is no expectation of privacy, eg. on a beach, in the street etc.
    I think there is a clear expectation of privacy in the totally enclosed rear garden of a dwelling. The neighbour is clearly wrong to have a camera so sited that the image it records includes property other than "his own".

As to their constantly standing outside, they're being new tenants on a probationary period, will have included in that tenancy a ban on smoking inside (the dwelling being the "place of work" for HA operatives), a restriction which probably won't affect legacy tenancies.

It sounds to me like they're a dodgy lot anyway. Paranoid. Now the CCTV is up, it won't be long before the iron gates cover the external doors. Do they have strangers visiting at all hours?

morally wrong maybe, legally wrong very doubtful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno - just creeps me out they are filming and watching back film of my kids and their mates playing? TUTV Viewer, when you say:
    Are they fully wired or wired for power and wireless for images?

You might be able to take a look at the pics...

What do you mean? I'm not very technical! I can see where wires have gone into the wall near the cameras. No way I can jam anything, though?

Man put up a twenty foot aerial a while back (so windy here it blew down and after a couple of attempts he gave up which you'd think would give him a clue re his possessions blowing away...) but then some massive thick wire appeared, going all along the fence and into the house. We think it's some sort of CB radio thing? Not sure. That was for the past few months though and nothing to do with this.

I hope 'drugs' crosses the police's mind (will ring 101 tomorrow but don't hold out much hope). Council are coming out to check the siting although whether they will be allowed in to see what they are actually filming, I dunno - when I phoned them they seemed very put out he has been drilling and bashing away at the walls without their permission. Knowing them, that will bother them more than the fact he seems to be interested in recording pictures of kiddies and my washing.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say but the side camera is pointing towards am old folks' nursing home. Now that IS a public area and one where people reasonably expect privacy (elderly terminal patients occasionally get pushed around in their wheelchairs outside).
    Forum Member
    Forgot to say but the side camera is pointing towards am old folks' nursing home. Now that IS a public area and one where people reasonably expect privacy (elderly terminal patients occasionally get pushed around in their wheelchairs outside).

Sorry but there is no such thing as privacy in a public area, same as filming in the street or in a public park, and there is also do you know if he is recording or watching on his cctv some people set it up just to a pc monitor or tv, some have it hooked up to record.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Sorry but there is no such thing as privacy in a public area, same as filming in the street or in a public park, and there is also do you know if he is recording or watching on his cctv some people set it up just to a pc monitor or tv, some have it hooked up to record.

No clue. Might know more when council have checked it out.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »

This! A guy could stand in the middle of the street filming all the 'hot women' that go past and he is entitled too as it is a public place

Filming them in gardens/houses is different
    Forum Member
    No clue. Might know more when council have checked it out.

Dont think you will get very far with the council, the worse they are likely to say is he should have asked first, and that is not law as each council has their own rules on what you should ask before doing things, i phoned my council and was told i did not need thier permission.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    What do you mean? I'm not very technical!

Some cameras work on a wireless basis - a bit like your laptop.

They can be secured, or in neighbourhood watch areas , some people leave them open so anyone can tap into the camera and monitor odd goings on in their street.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I was told it was an offense, harassment.

I got a warning for filming neighbours' kids shouting evil abuse at me (relating to my mental health), reported it as a hate crime.
    Result? I got a warning for filming the kids on their own property >:(
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    Well I was told it was an offense, harassment.

I got a warning for filming neighbours' kids shouting evil abuse at me (relating to my mental health), reported it as a hate crime.
    Result? I got a warning for filming the kids on their own property >:(

Maybe because you were outright filming them on their property, Maybe if it is a mounted camera you can claim it is covering your property and happens to catch a glimpse of the neighbouring area.

Who knows though.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Maybe because you were outright filming them on their property, Maybe if it is a mounted camera you can claim it is covering your property and happens to catch a glimpse of the neighbouring area.

Who knows though.

How else can you get evidence though? This wasn't a fixed camera, I was told to get evidence so I filmed it.
    We have been since told that PCSO were in the wrong, you are permitted to film a suspected crime anywhere.

We put up CCTV and the guy who installed it said it had to be pointing down our garden only, which is what we did, but it never picked up any of the behaviour that was a problem, so it was pretty pointless really