12346»

Comments

• Options
    SAFC_DerrySAFC_Derry Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    Ok, fine, let's go with that.

Pretty much everyone on here are racists too then for calling people chavs when they boo people on a Friday night.

If i'm a racist for saying someone is fat then everyone in the world and on here is a racist.

No that would just make you ignorant!
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SAFC_Derry wrote: »
    No that would just make you ignorant!

I agree, but not racist as some on here would like me to believe. Everyone is ignorant from time to time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not wrong. But i don't agree with it. He shouldn't be labelled a racist for pointing out someone's nationality in an argument.

But why attach the nationality of the person to the insult when being offensive :o I would class myself as being pretty thick skinned but sometimes you have to look at why certain jokes/insults are attached to certain nationalities. It was a bit like when someone mimics your accent you have to look at the context it is being done in i.e. a banter/jokey way or in a way to belittle/ridicule you like Helen did in the last series. But then again going by her alleged tweets about the Irish and so on you wouldn't expect anything else.
  • Options
    SecretPassageSecretPassage Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry? On the preview Leslie said "You stinking French ****" to Frenchy

If he had said "You stinking African ****" to a African housemate. Big Brother would remove him surely?

Surely it is Racism or am I missing the point?

Nationality is not the same as race.

If Leslie had said "You stinking white ****", that would be racist. (Ugh, what a horrible thing to say, regardless of the adjective.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Leslie had said "You stinking white ****", that would be racist. (Ugh, what a horrible thing to say, regardless of the adjective.)

But nationality DOES come under the remit of racism.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SAFC_Derry wrote: »
    But nationality DOES come under the remit of racism.

But it shouldn't because it doesn't make any sense to belong in the same category as Racism. The clue is in the name, RACist.

It already has it's own word, Xenophobic. What Leslie said can be seen as either discrimination or Xenophobia.
  • Options
    Joe_McMinnJoe_McMinn Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    We are all the same race..Humans.. Has no one ever pointed this out before? To be a true racist involves you wanting to harm or kill.. therfore you could not live with them. To not understand different cultures is very normal, as you just dont know. The Racist card is used way too much and needs to stop. To be angry with someone and include thier culture is a 'hit' in a argument. Words are only words.. it's only actions and behaviour of true racists we sould concentrate on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it shouldn't because it doesn't make any sense to belong in the same category as Racism. The clue is in the name, RACist.

It already has it's own word, Xenophobic. What Leslie said can be seen as either discrimination or Xenophobia.

I know what you are getting at and the best I could come up with is Race is colour or ethnic or group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious linguistic or cultural heritage but residing outside their country sometimes could happen that a nationality being coincident with a race. This imo is why you hear of racial attacks on non nationals so yes nationality can play a part in racism.

I must add I don't think he was intentionally being racist although it could be construed by some that way.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I see no-one is challenging the **** part of it

I was about to post the same :D:o
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I was about to post the same :D:o

Thank you and Scottishmag. I knew I should never have clicked on this thread. I knew I would despair and I was right my heart sank further and further. You two just picked me up again.

LOL The insult I understand was 'stinking French ****' and we have 6 pages objecting to the word French!!!!! :o:confused::D

The world has gone mad....mad I tell you ... stark raving mad. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member

:o:blush: Better watch it because the racist police might consider it racist ,if someone says 'if somebody had said blah blah blah' (racist remark )that wasn't actually said, but somebody actually said it would be racist if somebody said that.:(

It could be deemed that the perpretator really wanted to say it and managed to say it through saying it would be racist if somebody else said it. (As in Turban versus Kilt 1775).

On a serious note though. I don't understand why colour depicts a 'race'. I mean South Africans are black AND white and what about albinos they can be of any race.:confused:
  • Options
    MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Racist or Xenophobia he should not be in that house. If I went into Tesco today and said to someone "You're a Italian hoe" I know I can get away with it.

This is just pathetic. Some will see it differently. I see other people's points, but I still partly think it's racist LIKE many have pointed out if he had said "Frenchie you stinking Indian ****" a whole issue would happen and ofcom would be on overload.

It's like this would Kellie be a Woman Beater if he had hit Frenchie and I can tell you everyone will say something different, and say it's okay. But no, to me that us very serious. Till he gets his gender changed on his birth certificate he would be classed as a female but many of you would disagree.
  • Options
    SpiritedAwaySpiritedAway Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's xenophobic and it wasn't just a random insult. There's this stigma/stereotype that "the French" stink so it's clear where he was pulling that one from.
  • Options
    SSL2010SSL2010 Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world has gone pc mad....never in a million words is that remark racist.

Racist is skin colour not nationality.
  • Options
    GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But using someones country to abuse at someone must be under something? I mean he didn't need to add the French part?

lol good god!! people want protection against everything :D
  • Options
    JayUK69JayUK69 Posts: 1,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is no different to when football fans trash other teams supporters from different towns and cities. Using the terms such as Scots, Scouse, Geordie, Brummie etc....

I think those accusing Leslie of being racist or xenophobic just don't like him and are using it as a stick to beat him with. We see the same every series when housemates aren't liked, every little thing is used to vilify them.
  • Options
    melloncollie06melloncollie06 Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People need to learn the definition of racism. People also need to stop being drama queens.

The **** is the derogatory word, the French is descriptive and factual. It has elements of xenophobia at a push.

I put the UN definition of race discrimination here last night.
    And what he said is classed as racist. By the UN. Go read it and learn :)
  • Options
    Joe_McMinnJoe_McMinn Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    What he said was not racist and did not commit a hate crime. If he did he would have been arrested
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    Racist or Xenophobia he should not be in that house. If I went into Tesco today and said to someone "You're a Italian hoe"I know I can get away with it.

:confused:Well yes because the shop assistant would probably just smile and think you were of your rocker . Either that or they'd quickly re-direct you to the gardening isle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put the UN definition of race discrimination here last night.
    And what he said is classed as racist. By the UN. Go read it and learn :)

I know it's not exactly hard to do, it always makes me laugh when people say you need to look up the definition of Racism or Bullying like in the last series. Well I did and it's not exactly rocket science to work out why the term was being used :o
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    French isn't a face smh