Options

Catching a very early morning flight

13»

Comments

• Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say the flight is at 6am, that means you need to be in the airport for 4am. Which for most people means leaving the house at 3am or before. There's no public transport at that time so taxi is your only option is you don't drive.

Do you try and sleep until 2am? Do you just get to the airport the evening before and wait, do you get a hotel nearby?

If the departure is at 6am, then you need to be at the airport by about 5am at the latest if you have a boarding pass and don't need a bag drop (depends on the airport, and how familiar you are with it).

As for how to get there: if it's near I have sometimes just walked (2-3 miles), but that can also be because there is no transport or, if it's abroad, I have no idea how it works and can't risk it at that time.

Other times, I get to the airport the night before, and sleep there, on chairs or on the floor (check the airport will be open; I think some small ones close at night).

I generally drive to the airport now, but have also used National Express (which often run at night), or a train if it's practical.

But I also try and avoid flights that early (I usually go to bed at 2am; getting up at 4am is not fun. Once I just turned over and went back to sleep; I couldn't be bothered!)

Staying at a nearby hotel, perhaps on-airport, is also a possibility, but I've never tried that (I like to do things on the cheap and it sounds expensive; and you still need to be up, in my case, after only occupying the bed for a 2-3 hours; so not good value!).
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a Burger King at 7am at Majorca airport and it was hard work. But a bottle of wine at 7am presents no problems.:D

See I can have a fry up at 5am no bother, but stick a drink in front of me...
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I generally drive to the airport now, but have also used National Express (which often run at night), or a train if it's practical.

But I also try and avoid flights that early (I usually go to bed at 2am; getting up at 4am is not fun. Once I just turned over and went back to sleep; I couldn't be bothered!)

Staying at a nearby hotel, perhaps on-airport, is also a possibility, but I've never tried that (I like to do things on the cheap and it sounds expensive; and you still need to be up, in my case, after only occupying the bed for a 2-3 hours; so not good value!).

If you usually drive to the airport then you will often find that a parking + hotel package is often no more than the cost of just the hotel or parking. There are loads of small hotels around Gatwick which will do B&B + 1 week parking with a free transfer for £50. If there are two of you then that's a pretty good deal
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check in to a Travel Lodge. There some near most airports
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Take another dump just to be sure you're not going to get caught short at an inconvenient time. :)

I once began to develop the urge for a number two in the check-in queue about halfway to the desk :(

That may become a rule of thumb if airlines start charging by excess body weight. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check in to a Travel Lodge. There some near most airports

At Gatwick the Premier Inn is the most convenient choice as it's directly opposite the terminal. From bed to check-in in a few minutes.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the early morning drinks, I think a lot of the issue is just social conditioning for some. There's no logical reason why it's ok to drink at 6pm and not 6am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the early morning drinks, I think a lot of the issue is just social conditioning for some. There's no logical reason why it's ok to drink at 6pm and not 6am.

Because your body doesn't need it at a time of day when you'd normally be asleep?

For example, in everyday life, I have breakfast around 11am. So if I'm at an airport for a 6am short-haul flight, I won't really need anything to eat or drink before departure.

I suppose if you're in the habit of getting up in the middle of the night to drink alcholol (or eat a full breakfast), then you might want to do so at some ungodly hour at an airport too. But I'd guess most people don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because your body doesn't need it at a time of day when you'd normally be asleep?.

Having a beer is never about what your body "needs". It's about you want.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    El Guapo wrote: »
    Why though? Do you drink that early at home normally? If so you might have a drink problem? I have never seen the point of drinking lots alcohol before a flight as it will dehydrate you and make you feel crap. Not saying you are but it always seems to be chav types drinking too much at the airport and being loud and rude! :D

No i don't drink at that time at home, I do have to go to work after all. I find flying stressful and I like a drink, perfect combination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because your body doesn't need it at a time of day when you'd normally be asleep?

For example, in everyday life, I have breakfast around 11am. So if I'm at an airport for a 6am short-haul flight, I won't really need anything to eat or drink before departure.

I suppose if you're in the habit of getting up in the middle of the night to drink alcholol (or eat a full breakfast), then you might want to do so at some ungodly hour at an airport too. But I'd guess most people don't.

You don't 'need' a beer at any time of day, it's just become the norm to drink at night and not during the day. In reality it shouldn't be any more normal to drink at any time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't 'need' a beer at any time of day, it's just become the norm to drink at night and not during the day. In reality it shouldn't be any more normal to drink at any time.

Exactly. I find that I do 90% of my drinking at a time when I really should be in bed ;-)

I don't want to derail this thread to much though. Each to their own.

Actually I have a morning flight at the end of the month but it's not too early so i'm driving up and parking in one of the 'business' car parks. They're promising to get me to the terminal 15 mins from dropping off the key so that's reasonable. Less than £40 for the weekend, which works out significantly cheaper than the round taxi trip and even less than 2 of us getting a railair bus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, the norm is *not* to drink when you're asleep! The body is conditioned to not needing food or drink until waking up the next day.

So at an airport at when is effectively still the middle of the night, the only recommendation might be a strong espresso, and that's if you're the pilot! Everyone else can snooze on the flight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the norm is *not* to drink when you're asleep! The body is conditioned to not needing food or drink until waking up the next day.

So at an airport at when is effectively still the middle of the night, the only recommendation might be a strong espresso, and that's if you're the pilot! Everyone else can snooze on the flight.

That seems a bit of a flimsy argument.

1. By your logic no one should drinking after 11pm?

2. The natural sleep cycle is to wake up at dawn - so i'd assume it's ok to drink at 5am during the summer?

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That seems a bit of a flimsy argument.

1. By your logic no one should drinking after 11pm?

2. The natural sleep cycle is to wake up at dawn - so i'd assume it's ok to drink at 5am during the summer?

No, I'm saying it's not natural to eat or drink while you're asleep. If you're up after 11pm, or regularly get up at dawn, then that's fine. But if you're up several hours earlier than normal, you will generally not really need any liquid or nourishment until your normal time.

Think about what the 'fast' in 'breakfast' means...
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if they've gone to bed earlier than normal though?
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    I live 15 minutes away from Heathrow which is my usual departure airport for early morning flights, there's a 24 hour bus so I don't need to worry about transport but at 3am it doesn't matter how I get there, I'm still going to be exhausted no matter what!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm regularly up at 5am so does that mean it's ok to have a drink at 5am? Your logic is somewhat twisted.

How about on New Years Eve when I stay up all night? How different is it having a drink at 2 or 3am that night that at 2 or 3am at an airport.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A pint at an airport bar always tastes great. Probably to do with the fact that if I'm in one it usually means I'm off for a well earned break. And I don't care what time of the day/night it is!

As for getting to the airport, always the day before and always a nice hotel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i'm at Heathrow next Friday morning. I might have to have an early morning pint just to make a point ;-)