Do we think Danny Pink actually killed someone he shouldn't have?

Comments

• KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, I'm struggling to find any empathy with posts that describe sick ex-soldiers (even sci-fictional ones with poor dress sense) as "nutjobs", "psycho" and "killnasty".
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, trying to bring it back to the OP, I was postulating that maybe Danny is being used (by the writers) as a synonym for the Doctors story. Maybe he helps the Doctor move on, if he needs any help at all.

I've heard other rumours about Danny too, hope they are just rumours, I think I accidentally read it somewhere a while back :(
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    I must admit, I'm struggling to find any empathy with posts that describe sick ex-soldiers (even sci-fictional ones with poor dress sense) as "nutjobs", "psycho" and "killnasty".

Particularly when Danny has been shown to be none of these things. If he was a "psycho" or a "Nutjob" he'd been struggling to feel empathy for anyone and that's clearly not the case.

Personally I assumed it was a mistake at a checkpoint - shooting someone who looked threatening because of language problems or fear but wasn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Ok, trying to bring it back to the OP, I was postulating that maybe Danny is being used (by the writers) as a synonym for the Doctors story. Maybe he helps the Doctor move on, if he needs any help at all.

I've heard other rumours about Danny too, hope they are just rumours, I think I accidentally read it somewhere a while back :(

That he is a possible future incarnation of the Doctor himself after being fob watched?

I saw those rumours too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doop wrote: »
    That he is a possible future incarnation of the Doctor himself after being fob watched?

I saw those rumours too.

lol, not those rumours!
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Is it the one that if you check every episode since 2009, the writers have been playing snooker - killing off someone wearing red and then someone named after a colour in the right order - and the finale has us discover that Missy's full name is Missy Black - and it's the 147th episode since 2005?

(Hope note cos I just made it up)
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Danny is actually the child in the barn... later to regenerate and call himself 'The Doctor' to try an atone for what he did as a soldier... Clara and Danny's son will have a daughter called Susan, who will later attend the same School in the sixties at which Danny teaches fifty years later... is that convoluted enough? It also answers the old question... the Doctor's real name is... Rupert!
    Forum Member
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    ...the Doctor's real name is... Rupert!

Rupert Who or Doctor Pink?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It involves who Danny really works for - its an organisation with an abbreviation for its name
    Forum Member
    When the Doctor was a kid, was he called Master Doctor?
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    It's possible. i definitely think there's some PTSD with the character though.
    Forum Member
    There's something awry and given what we've had from DW since 2009, the mere fact that he has CLAIMED to be affected by military service in Afghanistan doesn't mean he's telling the truth. We really KNOW nothing nothing about "Danny Pink" - everything is up in the air (even his being a teacher in a show where "psychic paper" can get the central character past pretty much any level of checks and security).

He is unbalanced - and the "thing under the bed" was almost certainly just a metaphor for his other "demons".

The big question is - friend or foe?
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    It seems pretty clear (we're meant to think) that he thinks he killed someone he shouldn't have.

I think the likeliest plot line for him will be him (finally) coming to terms with that mistake helped by Clara and the Doctor and (maybe) then discovering he wasn't responsible/didn't do it after all.

It would be a clear parallel with the Doctor's life (Time War/destroying Gallifrey) and possibley help him to come to terms with his other mistakes.

And Clara and Danny ride off into the sunset together.

Or is that all just a bit too obvious for Steven Moffat? :)
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Or is that all just a bit too obvious for Steven Moffat? :)

It certainly wouldn't require him (apparently) changing his name or the incredible coincidence of Clara just happening to bump into someone who appears to be his descendent (and possibly hers) and just happens to be the human races first ever time traveller - and just happens to be under attack from the very same "bogeymen" that no-one gave a monkey's about until five minutes previous.

It's bound to be something a tad more complex and far more heart-wrenching than boy meets girl - probably something like "The real Rupert Pink was accidentally killed by the thing that lived under his bed which then took his place cos it's actually a protective alien and it only THINKS it was a soldier cos of the toy soldier that was placed under that bed etc etc" - depending on your outlook, Andrex or sickbags on standby :)
    Forum Member
    It certainly wouldn't require him (apparently) changing his name or the incredible coincidence of Clara just happening to bump into someone who appears to be his descendent (and possibly hers) and just happens to be the human races first ever time traveller - and just happens to be under attack from the very same "bogeymen" that no-one gave a monkey's about until five minutes previous.

It's bound to be something a tad more complex and far more heart-wrenching than boy meets girl - probably something like "The real Rupert Pink was accidentally killed by the thing that lived under his bed which then took his place cos it's actually a protective alien and it only THINKS it was a soldier cos of the toy soldier that was placed under that bed etc etc" - depending on your outlook, Andrex or sickbags on standby :)

True. I actually think your idea (BIB) makes better sense - and it's suitably Steven Moffat-esque. :)
    Forum Member
    Gut feeling - extra grumpy Doctor will be "balanced" with soppy Doctor later on - full flowing tears and nose bubbles.

Every year since 2005 has done a 180 over the course of the season - grumpy Eccles became big smiley eccles - Mad Daft Tennant became loved-up - loved-up Martha became tough-girl Martha - thicko Donna became genius Donna - slutty Amy became happily married Amy and Big Kid Doctor became surrogate Dad Doctor while wet as water boyfriend became Mister Machoman husband - Doctor killing psycho became Doctor snogging psycho and Blush-when-kissed Doctor became Dirty-Weekend Doctor - and now we have Grumpy Doctor and loved-up Clara - which means she's about to get hurt and he's going to melt into goo faster than a fleshie baby sitting on a radiator - or sumfin :)
    Forum Member
    Every character should have an arc. :)
    Forum Member
    Every character should have an arc. :)

As long as every arc has some character (wow - how deep and meaningful was that, glasshopper)
    Forum Member
    As long as every arc has some character (wow - how deep and meaningful was that, glasshopper)

Hmm. Should Noah have an arc? He already has an ark. It seems unfair. :)
    Forum Member
    Hmm. Should Noah have an arc? He already has an ark. It seems unfair. :)

He should have an ark arc - two, in fact - one of each.
    Forum Member
    He should have an ark arc - two, in fact - one of each.

Sorry, forget this is Doctor Who - that line should read "three - one of each"
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Pink is obviously River Song.

Also for those who wonder why anyone would employ someone unhinged as a teacher - you'd have to be unhinged to be a teacher. :p
    Forum Member
    Daniel Pink is an anagram of Pinin' Dalek - he met Oswin in the asylum and fell in lurv.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Danny Pink is obviously River Song.

Also for those who wonder why anyone would employ someone unhinged as a teacher - you'd have to be unhinged to be a teacher. :p

BIB - As someone who has been a teacher for 25 years all I can say is... thanks for that!

Mind you, at the beginning of the academic year every educational institution resembles a madhouse!
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »

I can't find any empathy with anyone using the term 'Sci-fictional'.

On a more relevant note, I think this storyline and the writing of Danny Pink is interesting and actually does invite a rethinking of such glib condemnations as you mention. My inclination is to have a cynical view of a soldier too, somewhat like Clara's (without the weird lack of tact) but the writing is being very skilfully handled in my opinion to a point where I can find sympathy for Danny and his position, particularly after the bedroom scene with the young Pink. I can see why Steven Moffat has taken on sole control of this storyline (his co-writer credits I'm sure are largely for the Danny Pink scenes). It's delicate and requires exactly the right touch. As the creator of the character I can see that Moffat is the only person who can handle this characterization just right. It also helps that he's one of the greatest authorial talents to come out of television and has a genius for dialogue.