New Doctor Who Fan (Part McCoy)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just found out that episode 3 is on at 6:30 on BBC1 but not until 8:25 on BBCHD. So I have three options:
    1. Watch at 6:30 and miss out on my first impression being in HD
    2. Have my first impression in HD but that means waiting until 8:25
    3. Watch it at 6:30 and then enjoy a rewatch at 8:25 in full HD glory

Somehow I can see myself going for option 3 ;):D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somehow I can see myself going for option 3 ;):D

yes, me to. It kind of feels a bit like a BOGOF offer....maybe they should do that every week! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tumpy wrote: »
    Congrats Muttley and I just missed the change so was the last of the Baker era. We did go tonight. The day of the McCoys!!

and I'm reposting my comment here

I was a bit up and down with that episode.
    Some won't be pleased at the lonely doctor theme again or the hugging at the end.
    It's interesting that Amy gets to question the morality of a Timelord and challenges it successfully because she can already see the problems he faces.
    I liked the fact that she cooly reacted to things and wasn't over emotional, whereas he was too involved. For me this creates something different about her. Perhaps she is able to take one step back and look around her and then assess the situation.
    I think I really need to watch again.
    I noticed the crack so there's something there but no talk of silence.
    I was reminded also of the TW episode Meat and the theme of human explotation of aliens without really asking them what they want. there are some deep messages here about the nature of humanity and indeed Timelords.

I also noticed the Star Wars references/TW - help me Obi Wan and being inside the creature.

Oh yes!!!

Oh and yes congrats to Muttley our new OP!!!!:D
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    Yay thanks Mods, congrats to new thread opener Mutts

and welocme to the McCoy era.

I enjoyed this episode although I thought it lost it's way somewhat in the middle. I was losing interest a little until it started tugging on my emotional heartstrings. I was in tears at one point. The Doctor does angry! Yes! I think the smilers lost their menace. The opening scene was really scary as I ended up with youngest on my lap, but they didn't live up to their promise. Very much like the Clockword droids.

I am really loving the Doctor and Amy though. Early days for the stories. But plenty to look forward to not least next weeks. I'm really looking forward to that. Did I hear right that it won't be on until 8:25pm??

Yes loved how he got angry!
    What I liked was that she listened to what the Doctor said about taking in everything and found the solution. Whereas he forgot his own advice even though well probably because he has been doing it so long. The situation needed a fresh outlook on it.

One little question. Where did the video of Amy warning herself to get the Doctor away come from? I thought it would be from an alternative future but how did the video get back?

I agree, it definitely gave that new feel to it.....and it was subtly clever, rather than the usual overt cleverness that we get with Moff stories...I mean the way they presented the whole crying child and the dialogue about the Doctor not getting involved unless there is a child crying, came back round beutifully, and didn't feel like as if it was being put there to be used for later on.
    Anyone else get a pratchett vibe at the end??

Havinf seen the hogfather....but still not having read the books...I'd still say yes.
    Molly_636 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this episode, I loved Matt and Karen again. (and he reminded me more of DT this week than he did last week, I can definitely see ten in him! ).

The episode itself reminded me a lot of Meat and some of RTD's work.. so he's not changing the series too much, as all I could think while watching it was it was a very Russell episode.

I wasn't too keen on Liz Ten, maybe it was the cockney accent, it just felt false.

I liked the angry Doctor, (I can see both Chris and David acting that way), and poor whale..
    I'm glad it was Amy that sorted/figured it out... but I did agree with the Doctor when he was ranting, though it wasn't fair to put Amy in that category, even though she did choose to forget.

Over all though it was a good episode, very sad in parts and fairly creepy, though the Smilers seemed like a none threat.. (a bit all show and no substance.. but I guess it was the humans that were the villans in that episode...) and I guess now they've sorted out the problem, they'll be useless now and not be needed?
    Though are they still going to feed the whale humans?

I seen the crack as well...
    I wonder if he's still got Martha's mobile as well? or did that get destroyed in the refurbishment? lol

But I am loving the new Doctor and Matt!! (and I didn't miss David at all this week)

When the phone first rang I assumed it was Martha's phone...although I didn't think it was gong to be Martha, just that it was her phone.
    Does this now mean the thread should be filled with semi-coherent ramblings, clownish mugging, devious manipulation and nonsensical storylines before ultimately being closed down for 7 years?

lol
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think i am on the same page as you, although perhaps it didn't quite tug on my heart strings as much as you. The only bit that really got me emotionally was when Amy hugged Eleven. I have to say I do still say no one can do emotion like RTD could.

I was very disappointed in how the smilers were used, the scene that could have been really menacing (when they came out of their booths) was cut WAY to short, they should have been backed in to a corner and saved at the last minute, that would have really made their characters for me. It felt rather anti climatic.

I agree
    TGITF did nothing for me either.

I wish they'd just forget about ofcom for once

Ha wicked!!:D
    Webslark wrote: »
    does anyOne know what Ian Patterson is called in next week's episode?
    given he too is Scottish I would love it if he was called
    Professor David Ross

lol yes that would be cool!
    Cute story

A friends son was watching tonight (he's 3 and last weeks was the 1st he'd seen)

At one point he said "Mum I'm very scared" so his mum said "do you want me to turn it off" and he said "NOOOO! I like it, its just scary" and gave a HUGE grin

awwwww just as it should be!!
    almost forgot to point and laugh at all the stupid people that made such a big deal out of the audio clip from the forthcoming episode now we have seen it in context in the trailer..

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha to infinity....

lol yes!!!
    Lol @ the person in the thread about not watching now DT has left saying Matt isn't the person she thinks suits the part inspite of not watching so much as one episode to feature him...classic!

There is always one!!!
    Interesting review, crazzy. I think the Eleven we saw here is more how we are going to see him here on in, because it was a continuation from his character towards the end of The Eleventh Hour. Obviously as well there are many sides to his personality, I did get the Pat Troughton vibe at various points today definitely.

Having watched it again while eating....which I won't do again what with the toungue scene:o....I think it may be down to the fact that even though it was a continuation, because like last week where there was a lot of Ten, and now there was a lot of Two, I just felt I couldn't work out where TWo ends and Eleven begins....the main difference is the agility, but saying that, even Two, despite having an older body, was still very energetic and faumbly like Eleven....so I do feel that maybe episode six if not before, I think Iwll be able to start seeing the exact distinctions between Wto and Eleven. But it like I said, it definitely isn't a criticism.:)
    My favorite line of dialog of the episode this week:

"Nobody talk to me, nobody HUMAN has ANYTHING to say to me today!"

also loved:

"We're checking the water in the area. There's an escaped fish."

Though it was the tap of the nose that made it for me!

Love those....but my fave is the bit about the dignity when they are about to be puked out!!!:D
    I've just found out that episode 3 is on at 6:30 on BBC1 but not until 8:25 on BBCHD. So I have three options:
    1. Watch at 6:30 and miss out on my first impression being in HD
    2. Have my first impression in HD but that means waiting until 8:25
    3. Watch it at 6:30 and then enjoy a rewatch at 8:25 in full HD glory

Somehow I can see myself going for option 3

Oh so its just the HD thing...thats cool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Webslark wrote: »
    Oooh a regenerated thread! :D

loved that episode:) spotted the Pratchett and Meat links - anyone else get a Neverwhere vibe? Liz Ten as Hunter sort of? And London Below :)

I had that vibe from the trailers and released clips earlier in the week.

The difference between GB and UK is that the United Kingdom is made up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. GB is England, Wales and Scotland.

Really enjoyed the episode, there seems a sense of the show having a different vibe but not radically different from the RTD era. There seems to be a momentum with another Hartnellesque lead in to next week's episode. The crack thing is subtle - I wonder if there'll be a reference in next week's.

Titles and theme okay but I doubt it'll ever be one of my favourites.

Doctor Who has been around so long you can't help but think of earlier episodes - End of the World was one that kept popping up - Doctor takes new companion to a future where Earth is no longer habitable and companion meets a new world of people. Whole vehicle at risk but saved at last moment. Doctor and companion are drawn closer at end, meet by massive glass windows looking out at stunning view before heading back to Earth in the past. Mention of being last of Time Lords. Nothing wrong with that though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »

Love those....but my fave is the bit about the dignity when they are about to be puked out!!!:D

There was some sparkling dialog this week, loved the following too:

"Once every five years, everybody choses to forget. Democracy in action."

Hits very close to home that one!:D

"This is what I do. Every day. Every second. Hold tight, let's bring down the government!"

"I'm the bloody queen, mate!"

"Never mind them, big day tomorrow!"
    "Sorry, what?"
    "It's always a big day tomorrow, we've got a time machine, I skip the little ones!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Brig wrote: »
    I had that vibe from the trailers and released clips earlier in the week.

The difference between GB and UK is that the United Kingdom is made up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. GB is England, Wales and Scotland.

Really enjoyed the episode, there seems a sense of the show having a different vibe but not radically different from the RTD era. There seems to be a momentum with another Hartnellesque lead in to next week's episode. The crack thing is subtle - I wonder if there'll be a reference in next week's.

Titles and theme okay but I doubt it'll ever be one of my favourites.

Doctor Who has been around so long you can't help but think of earlier episodes - End of the World was one that kept popping up - Doctor takes new companion to a future where Earth is no longer habitable and companion meets a new world of people. Whole vehicle at risk but saved at last moment. Doctor and companion are drawn closer at end, meet by massive glass windows looking out at stunning view before heading back to Earth in the past. Mention of being last of Time Lords. Nothing wrong with that though.

Oh yes I wanted to mention about that crack....have to say that I disagree there, for me it was definitely the most unsubtle thing in the episode....if they hadn't zoomed in then that would have good, but because they did, and then ended it on there was a "look at me! I'm very importanat you know!" type of thing that they had with the whole TW arc in series 2....but in visiauls than words, which makes it less annoying than the TW arc.
    There was some sparkling dialog this week, loved the following too:

"Once every five years, everybody choses to forget. Democracy in action."

Hits very close to home that one!:D

"This is what I do. Every day. Every second. Hold tight, let's bring down the government!"

"I'm the bloody queen, mate!"

"Never mind them, big day tomorrow!"
    "Sorry, what?"
    "It's always a big day tomorrow, we've got a time machine, I skip the little ones!"

Yes love all those...and the whole dialougue to establish which Prime Minister Amy is talking to her! :D

Oh and another thing that I remember now....there were points where Amy really reminded me of Donna in the way she behaved sometimes....mainly in the way she teased the Doctor, or stood up to him....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the crack isn't subtle to us but we aren't the casual audience who may miss a few episodes and then come back into it. We can see the crack and recognise the shape just as back in 2005 by week three fans were spotting all the Bad Wolf references and beginning to suggest theories. I wouldn't be surprised that by episode 11 the press start to comment on an arc that we all noticed from the start.

For me I thought it was 'subtle' in that it was purely visual just as the graffetti on the TARDIS in Aliens of London was whereas Van Statten arriving in 'Bad Wolf One' or the reference in The Satan Pit to the Torchwood Archive was like waving a big banner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the crack isn't subtle to us but we aren't the casual audience who may miss a few episodes and then come back into it. We can see the crack and recognise the shape just as back in 2005 by week three fans were spotting all the Bad Wolf references and beginning to suggest theories. I wouldn't be surprised that by episode 11 the press start to comment on an arc that we all noticed from the start.

For me I thought it was 'subtle' in that it was purely visual just as the graffetti on the TARDIS in Aliens of London was whereas Van Statten arriving in 'Bad Wolf One' or the reference in The Satan Pit to the Torchwood Archive was like waving a big banner.

Maybe you have a very good and excellent point there. I remember clearly in series one that the first time I realised Bad Wolf was an arc was in Boom Town, when the Doctor and Rose talk about it following them. I did watch every episode carefully and was a big fan already, but yes I hadn't been on the net and so no where to pick up on the fact that it could be an arc. Maybe I saw it in the same way as a casual viewer. When Gwenyth mentioned it, I didn't think much more about it, as the story took precedent, the grifitte on the Tardis was just that Graffitte, I didn't see the words Bad Wolf being on the screen in the Long Game, didn't hear the words being mentioned by the mox of balhoon, or the the helicopter radio in Dalek, or even read the german translation of it in the Doctor dances, or even see it written on the poster in Father's Day. I guess now I lokk for the arcs...so yes I see where your coming from.:)

EDIt: just to add, yes I'd definitely feel that the series two arc was like waving a banner!!!:D...In a way so was the Saxon arc....but there was plenty of other twists and turns in series 3 that made the Saxon thing look almost like a diversion....for example, the YANA and the fob watch, the power of words...the toclafane,,,
    Series 4 also had loads, bees disppearing, planets lost...which were sometimes nicely intergrated with the current plot like Fires of Pompeii and Turn Left
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I wasn't really that clued in to the Bad Wolf thing, as I wasn't really following the series online as closely back then. First I noticed of it was in Boomtown also, when the references were all laid out for us to see...:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Online in 2005 I seem to remember Bad Wolf being picked up after the "Big Bad Wolf" line in Unquiet Dead, fans were then spotting the Moxx's line and some claimed the Nestene said it as well. Then came the graffetti and it was a case of spot the reference until the end of the season. Episode 12's title was a secret for the first few weeks of the season. When it was revealed, some expected the explanation in that episode whereas of course it took until Parting of the Ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that was a shame about the Bad Wolf thing was it's resolution was a bit disappointing...:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that was a shame about the Bad Wolf thing was it's resolution was a bit disappointing...:(

That's the problem with a preplanned arc. I prefer stories that evolve naturally.

There aren't many Who examples but for instance
    Mike Yates, long term member of UNIT turning traitor
    is the latest development of a character which then has a redeeming final appearance.

Some of RTD's developments that dovetailed beautifully in the end weren't preplanned. Wilf for one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm, good point, I agree about
    Mike Yates,
    btw.

I guess some of the series story arcs have worked better than others, I actually think for all the flaws of the finale itself, the Saxon one was the most cohesive one.

And wilf was only to be in one episode wasn't he? Amazing really! Same with Donna!

I think RTD has real talent in blending characters, stories and themes so it all feels like part of a greater plan when usually he is winging it as he goes along!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Online in 2005 I seem to remember Bad Wolf being picked up after the "Big Bad Wolf" line in Unquiet Dead, fans were then spotting the Moxx's line and some claimed the Nestene said it as well. Then came the graffetti and it was a case of spot the reference until the end of the season. Episode 12's title was a secret for the first few weeks of the season. When it was revealed, some expected the explanation in that episode whereas of course it took until Parting of the Ways.

Yes I do remember reading about that once I joined the online community!:D

I quite liked the solution....when I realised it was going to be some arc in boom Town, and the the Daleks were revealed in Bad Wolf, I was little "oh, I should have guessed that really" so was really pleasently suprised that the Bad Wolf thing was nothing remotly evil!!!
  • Molly_636Molly_636 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware of the Bad Wolf thing until it was pointed out to us either in Boom Town.
    But I didn't watch the first series in order, the first episode I watched was The Unquiet Dead, and then I got in to it then.. (for some reason, I didn't realise it was a full series when it was announced, I thought it was just a movie again, typical, so I was abit late)

When I watch it back now though, every Bad Wolf mention/sign and Torchwood is like a waving flag..

And the Bad Wolf thing, I still think it was the TARDIS as well as Rose that was 'bad wolf', as she opened its heart, and she (the tardis) didn't want to lose the Doctor either.. so I think it was both of them, esp when Rose says 'my' Doctor. And thats why she didn't remember fully either...
    I said it better in the original thread for The Parting of the Ways, but I hope you know what I mean. :)
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning all

Monster is rewatching it again. Now running around saying "I'm the bloody queen mate"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh BAFTA nomination out, The Whoniverse is greatly honoured...

http://www.newsonnews.net/bbc/2518-bbc-cymru-wales-secures-more-than-30-bafta-cymru-nominations.html

Best Drama Series/Serial for Television
    Doctor Who – The End Of Time: Part One (Tracie Simpson)
    Torchwood – Children Of The Earth: Day One (Peter Bennett)

Best Children's Programme
    The Sarah Jane Adventures – The Temptation of Sarah Jane (Nikki Smith)

Best Interactive
    The Sarah Jane Adventures (Richard Jenkins, Anwen Aspden)

Best Sound
    Torchwood – Children Of the Earth: Day One (Julian Howarth, Tim Ricketts, Doug Sinclair, Howard Eaves)

Best Editor
    Torchwood – Children of the Earth: Day One (Will Oswald)

Best Design
    Doctor Who – The Waters Of Mars (Edward Thomas)

Best Costume
    Torchwood – Children Of The Earth: Day One (Ray Holman)

Best Make-Up
    Doctor Who – The End Of Time: Part One (Barbara Southcott)
    Best Screenwriter
    Torchwood – Children Of The Earth: Day One (Russell T Davies)

Best Original Music Soundtrack
    Torchwood – Children Of The Earth: Day One (Ben Foster)

Best Actress
    Torchwood – Children Of The Earth: Day One (Eve Myles)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh BAFTA nomination out, The Whoniverse is greatly honoured...

http://www.newsonnews.net/bbc/2518-bbc-cymru-wales-secures-more-than-30-bafta-cymru-nominations.html

Best Drama Series/Serial for Television
    Doctor Who – The End Of Time: Part One (Tracie Simpson)
    Torchwood – Children Of The Earth: Day One (Peter Bennett)

Best Children's Programme
    The Sarah Jane Adventures – The Temptation of Sarah Jane (Nikki Smith)

Best Interactive
    The Sarah Jane Adventures (Richard Jenkins, Anwen Aspden)

Best Sound
    Torchwood – Children Of the Earth: Day One (Julian Howarth, Tim Ricketts, Doug Sinclair, Howard Eaves)

Best Editor
    Torchwood – Children of the Earth: Day One (Will Oswald)

Best Design
    Doctor Who – The Waters Of Mars (Edward Thomas)

Best Costume
    Torchwood – Children Of The Earth: Day One (Ray Holman)

Best Make-Up
    Doctor Who – The End Of Time: Part One (Barbara Southcott)
    Best Screenwriter
    Torchwood – Children Of The Earth: Day One (Russell T Davies)

Best Original Music Soundtrack
    Torchwood – Children Of The Earth: Day One (Ben Foster)

Best Actress
    Torchwood – Children Of The Earth: Day One (Eve Myles)

Wow that's a cracking list.

Another thing that should make you smile is mark Gatiss interview in SFX

http://************/ybm9oos
    the cup of tea line IS part of the script

*Laughs histerically
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grrrr it changed my link into stars. Bloody DS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its http:// ************ /ybm9oos without the spaces

Edit: bahahahaha it will not let me type tiny url . Com
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, poor degem, big brother is watching you....this is what it is like to live in a police state! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol, poor degem, big brother is watching you....this is what it is like to live in a police state! :p

They are picking on me I tell you

I can't even put the full link because I'm on the pda
  • kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its http:// ************ /ybm9oos without the spaces

Edit: bahahahaha it will not let me type tiny url . Com

Try this link guys ! http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/04/11/mark-gatiss-on-victory-of-the-daleks/

Kenneth
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw and ad for Kerry Katonia's reveal all interview in NOTW. Does anyone give a sh*t about the mess that women has made of her life????
This discussion has been closed.