Options

Britney; your thoughts?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
Forum Member
Grew up with her (best mates) and i'm a casual fan but i have realised that i watch her performances through a filtered scope. I have found that its almost like watching your gran participate in sports; youre rooting for her to do really well but the smallest glimmer of doing well is exaggerated as a major success in ratio to another's performance (in this case her contemporaries)

wondered what the general conseus was? do you think there will be a sudden change for instance the conservatorship will dissolve and she'll snap into liberation or will it be a slow and gradual process or will she just retire?

Comments

• Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think Britney has lost her spark these days. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy she's back on track in her life and she still seems to have a career in the US, but her music is so average these days. Back in the day she had her own style of songs, nobody could do songs like "One More Time" and "Oops I Did It Again" because that was Britney's style. Nowadays she's following the trend of autotuned, unoriginal, generic pop dance songs. The problem is her contemporaries are younger, fresher and fitter so they are making Britney look like a fish out of water. Britney hasn't got the energy to give everything to her performances anymore, which is understandable. But Britney was always about giving those energetic performances couples with those unique songs. Now she's not giving any of that. But hey, she's still doing well in some parts of the world so good for her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    Britney's star has fallen. She'll always be a big celebrity and will maintain her original fanbase, but the likelihood of her gaining a new audience with the likes of Gaga and Katy Perry ruling the charts is slim. Frankly, pop stars have a short shelf life compared to artists from other genres, but given that their genre is 'pop', short for popular, the likes of Britney obviously make their fortunes in that small window of time.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylar11 wrote: »
    Britney's star has fallen. She'll always be a big celebrity and will maintain her original fanbase, but the likelihood of her gaining a new audience with the likes of Gaga and Katy Perry ruling the charts is slim. Frankly, pop stars have a short shelf life compared to artists from other genres, but given that their genre is 'pop', short for popular, the likes of Britney obviously make their fortunes in that small window of time.

considering she has been in the business 12 years. that statement is flawed. i am in no way a big britney fan. however, i am a fan of pop music. yes, it is disposable and throw away to some people. to other people a good pop song, can be timeless. :)

in terms of britney, she needs to up her game. people all over the world are willing her on. she just needs to want it, a little bit more. :)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Been a fan for years and have all her albums from Baby One More Time to Femme Fatale. I think though that she doesn't seem to be popular any more and that the likes of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry have taken over. I am a Gaga fan and don't mind Katy Perry too much either but I think Britney has lost out to them. I remember all the buzz surrounding her when she was really popular. My guess though is that she might do another album or two and then retire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Grew up with her (best mates) and i'm a casual fan but i have realised that i watch her performances through a filtered scope. I have found that its almost like watching your gran participate in sports; youre rooting for her to do really well but the smallest glimmer of doing well is exaggerated as a major success in ratio to another's performance (in this case her contemporaries)

wondered what the general conseus was? do you think there will be a sudden change for instance the conservatorship will dissolve and she'll snap into liberation or will it be a slow and gradual process or will she just retire?

Wait wait wait wait. You were best mates with Britney?! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I love Britney and I agree that nostalgia and memories from childhood have something to do with it, but it's not just about that.If she wasn't delivering, I wouldn't LOVE her anymore; I would still have a soft spot for her, but not love her.Her music is amazing post-breakdown, even more so than her music pre-breakdown (bar ITZ)!

I really do think that people are underestimating her (:eek: YES, I said it!).We all tend to compare her with what she was capable of in the past.She had better videos, she had MUCH better performances, she had more energy, she had more passion for music etc etc.But what will happen if we stop comparing her to her past self and start comparing her to her peers??People bash her to death for her performances, but they seem to forget that Britney is the only current popstar that can still dance on stage. Even though her dancing is stiff compared to the past, she is still a much better dancer than all of those young popstars combined. Nobody else even tries to dance!Rihanna?Ke$ha?Katy?And even GaGa is a more awkward dancer than Britney!When it comes to singing live, Britney proved in her tour that she can outperform most popstars in that department too!As far as success and popularity is concerned, the people that criticize her seem to forget that all the popstars right now are struggling in a way.Katy is supposed to be in her peak era, yet she is having massive trouble selling 2 million in the U.S (where she had 5 No.1 hits) and 4 million ww.Ke$ha's album didn't sell that well and her EP completely flopped.Rihanna's 'Loud' was kind of her career-defining moment so far and it still sold about 4 million ww with 6 singles!And GaGa at this point is considered the biggest popstar in the world (and her fans are casually slating Brit) but with all this promo and all the singles, she hasn't even sold half of what Britney used to.If none of the brand new and fresh popstars can reach Britney's peak time period, then isn't this hightime we came to terms with the fact that Britney does not have to surpass or tie her peak eras either?
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    She can still be successful here, her team have been bloody awful not to arrange any promotion Femme Fatale to gain any new fans, i mean most people dont even know she has released a new album yet alone a new single. FF is an amazing album possibly one of the best albums this year.

Im sure if she had promoted the album here and promoted HIAM/TTWE FF would still be in the charts etc. Also her single date releases are terrible :(

Her Tours sold well though here, so the interest hasnt really gone.

Her team just P*ss me off because they have ignored the UK like the plague.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love Britney Spears. Since Baby One More Time and even now with Femme Fatale is have been a fan for the full 12 years, and long may it continue.

I agree the Britney now is not the Britney 1999 - 2004, but then again i wasnt suspecting she would be. But she has her life on track, her shows are stellar and her music and material has been very consistent regarding the criticisms. She has come a long way! She is defintiely the Pop Icon for a generation and in her own way paved a way for Popstarlets in a more current movement. It was like Madonna achieved the main bulk with it, really set the trend and still on top. But Britney set trends in a more recent wave of events and inspired a load of (dunno whether to be thankful or cringe!) younger tween stars too!

Sure her first two albums can be so cheesy and cringe, but it has that nostalgia feel. As does her third album too reminding me of summer 2002 etc. and in 2004 when i got In The Zone, memories of that year etc. And really stabbing yourself inside when your read about her breakdown and meltdowns and young motherhood, and an almost fall from grace. Then rooting for her comeback with Blackout, and again for Circus (even if the album was tripe with a few corkers!) and then really embracing Femme Fatale and in fact is THE Dance album of 2011 :cool:.

The downside is that she seems to be more focused Stateside while globally she is not seen the same way as she was before, she hasnt sustained it or done promo on a Beyonce, gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna scale at all to get more attention for the album which is a shame, because out of all those artists it is Ms SPears that is the strongest and grows every listen definitely!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney doesn't need to sell bucket loads of music any more, she's achieved whether it be through good or bad publicity (or music sales) a certain level of consistent stardom over a significant period of time (12 years is a big deal in any showbiz medium these days) that mean's she will be remembered for decades.

Yes KP sells more at the moment, but I get the sneaking suspicion that we wont be talking about her in 12 years time. I could be wrong of course.

I'm not attacking KP, but she doesn't quite create the same 'buzz' with the public in general that Britney etc has whatever her fan base may think.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Britney has just managed to have the most loyal of fans.

And whilst she may not be gaining new fans now, at least not at the rate of those already mentioned, I think there is such a sense of nostalgia surrounding her, that those who grew up as she hit the big time, not necessarily fans, come round to her at certain points and like some of her tracks, when they perhaps never actually liked her growing up.

There's a fair point made earlier about her dancing that I'd never really considered, yes her dancing now in comparison to previous performances is slightly stiffer (yet a vast improvement over Circus era and even the start of the Femme Fatale promotions) but noone else really does dance the way she does. She's probably still top 5 in terms of performances, and this inspite of her being at about 60% of her personal best.

She'll forever be an icon, I think she'll always have people rooting for her.

I don't know how to describe it exactly, I know my other favourites like Beyoncé, P!nk, Rihanna etc are "better" popstars, better songs, better live (Rihanna perhaps less so but she's improved considerably recently as well) but if they were all playing the same night and I had tickets for them all, I'd always, 100 times out of 100, choose to go see Britney. She may lipsync her songs, she may lipsync her dialogue with the crowd "it's so great to be here in London" but she's just mesmerising nonetheless.

In some form or another, I think she'll still be around in another 12 years, probably still steadily selling albums, not setting the world alight like her contempories, but at the same time, generating attention with half the effort of those around her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im known for my 'love' of britney. Since i was a lil boy I was always interested in her and her music. Her early stuff is what reminds me of childhood. Songs like '(You Drive Me) Crazy' and BTMYH are just frikkin anthems.

As time has gone on and she had that meltdown I do think she has lost her spark. She used to be able to captivate everyone with her performances. She lip synced but that wasnt such a big deal because the routine was so high energy (a recent example of this is Chris Brown's VMA performance)

Her music may not be what it used to be and she has really had to change her sound to adapt but like i said in another thread, she started the electro pop wave and now the dubstep pop wave so she deserves to be given credit for it.

I personally would like her to just pack it all in and focus on her family and health. Its clear to see her heart isnt in it as it once used to be and plus shes nearing 30 and if she isnt able to give those high energy performances now then what hope is there of her doing them when shes 40?

Shes an ICON nontheless she is responsible for the wave of american girl pop singers that followed her (Xtina/Jessica Simpson/Mandy Moore etal) and the likes of selenam demi and miley all credit her for paving the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her ..i dont think her star has fallen she has just got older ...I just wish she would lose the autotune
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    considering she has been in the business 12 years. that statement is flawed. i am in no way a big britney fan. however, i am a fan of pop music. yes, it is disposable and throw away to some people. to other people a good pop song, can be timeless. :)

in terms of britney, she needs to up her game. people all over the world are willing her on. she just needs to want it, a little bit more. :)

I agree that a good pop song can be timeless, but stand by my statement that most pop music produces the most disposable artists. Personally, I think pop music often produces songs that outlive the artist, and though that can be true for any genre, I think it's more prevalent in pop.

'Don't Stop Believing' by Journey would be a good example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that a good pop song can be timeless, but stand by my statement that most pop music produces the most disposable artists. Personally, I think pop music often produces songs that outlive the artist, and though that can be true for any genre, I think it's more prevalent in pop.

didn't the `journey` consider themselves a rock band? :confused:
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney Spears is a pop icon, her career has been made and nobody can take that away from her. She has gone through so many up's and down's both personally and professionally throughout the years yet has always come back fighting. It's remarkable to think that the just a few years ago her whole life was in complete turmoil, and yet today she is looking much happier and healthier.

Britney is known to be a FIERCE performer, and I do agree that currently she is still not at the standrard she once was pre-2004, however she is slowly and surely building her confidence and her skills as a performer, and most importantly she is heading back in the right direction. Her music is stronger than ever.... however I personally feel that after the Femme Fatale era is over she should take a break from music and venture into other avenues such as acting where I think she has a lot more to offer in and excel at.
  • Options
    MindBodySoulMindBodySoul Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Britney isn't what she was, but I hope she gets better. What I really want is for more creative control. Numerous songs written by her have leaked over the years, and before her breakdown these songs were actually starting to get on her records (Everytime is prbably her creative highpoint) and more importantly, they're actually good.

But unfortunately, her conservatorship restricts her personally and professionally and I think she gets pushed into a lot of things she doesn't want to do. Back in 2005/2006 she was saying that one day she wanted to do a Blues-Pop album, a more mature sound. Her records still have an affect on pop culture and most definitely pop music (Blackout and Femme Fatale being the two prime examples).

1. Conservatorship must end.
    2. More creative control.
    3. Take a break.
    4. Restart the machine and build up her skills again.

I think she does really want to do this, and obviously loves performing for her fans on tour, but not in her circumstances right now.:(

I don't think that applies to Britney, as;

1. She has had way more than one truly memorable hit - ...Baby One More Time, Oops!, Slave, Toxic, Gimme More, Womanizer, even Hold It Against has become another signature hit. Her career doesn't hang on one great song, or just one great performance.
    2. Her celebrity, personality and looks (apart from Blackout, of course) have all been important to her career. Much like Madonna, in the future people will remember her Iconic images and personality (even the crazy times) as much as the music, like the school uniform, red bodysuit, the snake among many others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney isn't what she was, but I hope she gets better. What I really want is for more creative control. Numerous songs written by her have leaked over the years, and before her breakdown these songs were actually starting to get on her records (Everytime is prbably her creative highpoint) and more importantly, they're actually good.

But unfortunately, her conservatorship restricts her personally and professionally and I think she gets pushed into a lot of things she doesn't want to do. Back in 2005/2006 she was saying that one day she wanted to do a Blues-Pop album, a more mature sound. Her records still have an affect on pop culture and most definitely pop music (Blackout and Femme Fatale being the two prime examples).

1. Conservatorship must end.
    2. More creative control.
    3. Take a break.
    4. Restart the machine and build up her skills again.

I think she does really want to do this, and obviously loves performing for her fans on tour, but not in her circumstances right now.:(

I don't think that applies to Britney, as;

1. She has had way more than one truly memorable hit - ...Baby One More Time, Oops!, Slave, Toxic, Gimme More, Womanizer, even Hold It Against has become another signature hit. Her career doesn't hang on one great song, or just one great performance.
    2. Her celebrity, personality and looks (apart from Blackout, of course) have all been important to her career. Much like Madonna, in the future people will remember her Iconic images and personality (even the crazy times) as much as the music, like the school uniform, red bodysuit, the snake among many others.

Especially the bald '666' look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Especially the bald '666' look.

Epic, but actually I preferred when she wore the wig and her underwear around the streets, a look GaGa has oft-copied.:p

*Joke, I Love Them Both*:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    She's not what she used to be, obviously but I can't help but idolise her :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's not what she used to be, obviously but I can't help but idolise her :)

Welcome To The Forum!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love love love old Britney, I just dont think her new stuff is as good as her old stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    didn't the `journey` consider themselves a rock band? :confused:

Yes they did, but ask most rock fans whether Journey were a rock band, and see what they say. They were middle of the road, manufactured rock, which is closer to pop than actual rock music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they did, but ask most rock fans whether Journey were a rock band, and see what they say. They were middle of the road, manufactured rock, which is closer to pop than actual rock music.

i know nothing about rock. i make no excuses for that. i do find from comments i have read from rock fans, its a bit like an exclusive club. artists are either in the club or they are not. which is fine in itself, live and let live i say.

however, what i do take issue with. is when rock fans bang on about artist integrity and longevity. or claim superior musical knowledge based on their tastes. :)

by the way, you have been nothing but respectful in your replies. i am in no way saying these opinions are based on our exchanges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i know nothing about rock. i make no excuses for that. i do find from comments i have read from rock fans, its a bit like an exclusive club. artists are either in the club or they are not. which is fine in itself, live and let live i say.

however, what i do take issue with. is when rock fans bang on about artist integrity and longevity. or claim superior musical knowledge based on their tastes. :)

by the way, you have been nothing but respectful in your replies. i am in no way saying these opinions are based on our exchanges.

Why thank you.

And I agree with your summary concerning some rock fans, they can be up their own backsides. Hope I never get like that.

Concerning 'artist integrity and longevity', as I've already said I do personally believe that rock manages to produce more enduring musicians, but for those fans who harp on about 'integrity', I'd argue there's no integrity in sticking around when your music is far past its sell buy date, like many rock artists do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why thank you.

And I agree with your summary concerning some rock fans, they can be up their own backsides. Hope I never get like that.

Concerning 'artist integrity and longevity', as I've already said I do personally believe that rock manages to produce more enduring musicians, but for those fans who harp on about 'integrity', I'd argue there's no integrity in sticking around when your music is far past its sell buy date, like many rock artists do.

i am sure you wont, you seem level headed. i don't discriminate on peoples preferences. personally, i stay away from threads that are no interest to me. i fail to see why other people cant see the logic in that and feel it necessary to wade in putting down other peoples favourite genres. again not a dig at you! :)

back to britney. i think she is well enough regarded within the industry to continue for a long time yet. while her sales are not what they were. she is still achieving good chart positions and selling out venues in the us. :)