Films Never Shown On TV

Comments

• porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way too early for them to be on terrestial tv yet . It takes about 3 years from cinema release to reach terrestial tv.

Depends on what deal the film gets.
    ITV bought the exclusive rights to 2 of the Bond films so they were not shown on Sky and ITV was able to show them as soon as you would usually see them on Sky.

Back in the 60's there was a regulated 10 year gap between cinema and tv , then in the 70's it changed to 5 years and by the early 80's it was 3 years.

I don't think there's any kind of enforced delay anymore and the length of the gap now is purely down to whether the broadcasters want to pay the money needed for an early screening
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when was the last time they showed The Changeling on TV

the george c scott, peter medak directed classic horror film from the 70s

I could be me missing it in the listings, but I can't recall it being shown on tv for years

Love that film.

Sound is amazing
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hawks and The Boy Who Could Fly haven't been shown for ages.

Would you believe it Hawks isn't on terrestrial, but next Sunday it's airing on MGM.

FILM: Hawks
    On: MGM HD (313)
    Date: Sunday 18th September 2011 (starting in 6 days)
    Time: 06:10 to 08:05 (1 hour and 55 minutes long)

A terminally ill lawyer and American football player steal an ambulance and go to Amsterdam for one last adventure.
    (Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, 1988, 15, 3 Star)

Director: Robert Ellis Miller
    Starring: Timothy Dalton, Anthony Edwards, Janet McTeer, Camille Coduri, Jill Bennett, Robert Lang

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marked By: 'Comedy Films', 'Film Dramas' and 'Category: Film' markers
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=25307

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tootsie is consistently voted one of the funniest films ever, but I can't remember when it was last on TV.

Tootsie gets a BBC2 airing soon:

FILM: Tootsie
    On: BBC 2 South (102)
    Date: Tuesday 13th September 2011 (starting in 2 days)
    Time: 23:20 to 01:10 (1 hour and 50 minutes long)

Comedy about an out-of-work actor who dresses in drag for an audition, only to land the female lead in a television soap. When he becomes the most popular character on the show, he feels compelled to carry the persona into everyday life. While bringing him phenomenal success as an 'actress', life as a woman also has its problems - especially when he falls for a real actress with whom he works.
    (Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles, 1982, 15, 3 Star)

Director: Sydney Pollack
    Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Jessica Lange, Teri Garr, Dabney Coleman, Charles Durning, Bill Murray

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=25307

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Craig wrote: »
    Tootsie gets a BBC2 airing soon:

FILM: Tootsie
    On: BBC 2 South (102)
    Date: Tuesday 13th September 2011 (starting in 2 days)
    Time: 23:20 to 01:10 (1 hour and 50 minutes long)

Thanks for the heads up! Great film.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Craig wrote: »
    Would you believe it Hawks isn't on terrestrial, but next Sunday it's airing on MGM.

FILM: Hawks
    On: MGM HD (313)
    Date: Sunday 18th September 2011 (starting in 6 days)
    Time: 06:10 to 08:05 (1 hour and 55 minutes long)

A terminally ill lawyer and American football player steal an ambulance and go to Amsterdam for one last adventure.
    (Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, 1988, 15, 3 Star)

Director: Robert Ellis Miller
    Starring: Timothy Dalton, Anthony Edwards, Janet McTeer, Camille Coduri, Jill Bennett, Robert Lang

Ahh shame I don't have that channel.

Probably why it hasn't been shown on other channels as MGM have the rights to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if Freddy Got Fingered has ever been on TV, if not I'd understand why:D

Freddy Got Fingered has been shown on TV a couple of times.

BBC1 and Channel 4 I think.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up! Great film.

Agreed... Jessica Lange won a Best supporting actress Oscar, too

Just thought of another film rarely shown on tv...California Suite
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    I don't think there's any kind of enforced delay anymore and the length of the gap now is purely down to whether the broadcasters want to pay the money needed for an early screening

True. Slumdog Millionaire was shown on Channel 4 last year - less than two years after its cinema release. But, as it was made by Channel 4, they couldn't really refuse themselves the ability to show it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly talking about terrestrial TV.

Child's Play and all it's sequals have never been shown on terrestrial TV in Britain.

Nor has Mulholland Drive. It's criminal.

Childs play has been on itv2 three times last week!!! :confused:

just realised... Terrestrial tv! soz..
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little film called Date with an Angel never gets shown on terrestrial, which is a shame because it's a lovely and funny 80s comedy.

Also, Night of the comet has only ever had one airing years ago.

night of the comet has definitely been on a few times, Good film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    This thread reminded me of Problem Child, I actually haven't seen that on television...well, ever. I'm guessing it has aired at one point, but it makes me sad it's not around more often, yet films like Rambo are repeated about 300 times every year, night in, night out (great film, but that doesn't mean it needs to be shown so much).

Problem Child was on ITV1 around 2003 - 2006, I remember taping it.
    Freddy Got Fingered has been shown on TV a couple of times.

BBC1 and Channel 4 I think.

Was it edited either time? I can't imagine Ofcom being too happy about animal masturbation and "the baby scene" being broadcast on TV, at any time of day.
  • Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Crow (1994) has never been on the main five channels since it first premiered on channel 4 in 1998 when there was a Bruce lee season and they also showed brandon lee's last film.

Army of Darkness aka Evil Dead 3 has never been on terrestrial as far as I know.

The Outsiders (1983) i never seen this on tv.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Was it edited either time? I can't imagine Ofcom being too happy about animal masturbation and "the baby scene" being broadcast on TV, at any time of day.

I'm not sure about the baby scene but both horse and elephant were relieved of their juices.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,196
    Forum Member
    Shak2005 wrote: »
    The Crow (1994) has never been on the main five channels since it first premiered on channel 4 in 1998 when there was a Bruce lee season and they also showed brandon lee's last film.

It premiered in 1997 and was shown in 1999 and again in 2000. See here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly any of the silent classics have been shown on TV in recent years, though I noticed Battleship Potemkin was on Film 4 last night (Monday). This may be due to the The Story Of Film series on More 4. I've really enjoyed this documentry so far, Mark Cousins seems to know his cinema.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I have ever seen The Lion King on TV also Jungle Book the carton one.

Disney have a thing about their films- they're rarely shown on TV outside of their own channels (channel 5 have shown some recently), some have never been on TV at all and their home video policy's bizarre- they're out for a few months, then they're taken away again for the best part of a decade.
  • samandmaisamandmai Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Steve De Jarnatt's fantastic nuclear nightmare Miracle Mile starring Anthony Edwards, Mare Winningham and John Agar? (it criminally only rates 1 1/2 stars in Maltin's Movie Guide) It has a brilliant Tangerine Dream score. It may have had one terrestrial showing, and occasionally popped up on Sky Movies, but it seems to have dropped off the radar. I was at the London premiere at Shock Around the Clock donkeys years ago. Can anyone confirm if it has had a terrestrial airing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Disney have a thing about their films- they're rarely shown on TV outside of their own channels (channel 5 have shown some recently), some have never been on TV at all and their home video policy's bizarre- they're out for a few months, then they're taken away again for the best part of a decade.

Not bizarre, but good business sense - they release them for a brief window, then rest them for a few years until the next generation of kids comes along - they have a perpetual audience !
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »

Slightly out.
    There are only about 10 films that Disney count as the crown jewels and these are the ones with limited availability on home video.
    However , the Blurays of Sleeping Beauty , Pinocchio , Beauty and the Beast , Bambi and Snow White have all been out for between a year and two years and surprisingly they are still readily available .
    And some that were re-released on dvd at the same time as the Bluray were also released on dvd not that long ago - Sleeping Beauty for example
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Winners " The Sentinel " which came out around 74 has never, as far as I know, been on TV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    Michael Winners " The Sentinel " which came out around 74 has never, as far as I know, been on TV

Good spot jimbo - I saw this one afternoon in a virtually deserted freezing Newcastle cinema back in 76/77. Very bleak, chilling, and a worthy rival to The Exorcist as I recall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 18 months to 2 years ago two rare Jack Lemmon movies from the early 1960s received their UK TV premiere on Film4 with no fanfare whatsoever - for the life of me I cannot recall the titles - they were only screened once - probably prior to DVD release, and have not been shown on terrestrial - if anyone can supply the titles I would be grateful.

Some films can't be shown because of decades-long copyright and ownership wrangles - I believe some of Danny Kaye's films still haven't been on TV 60 years after release !
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    night of the comet has definitely been on a few times, Good film.

Yeah I've seen that film at least 4 times on TV over the years. Not recently though.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    I can guarantee Child's Play 1 was shown on BBC on one occasion - I taped it off the channel in 1991.

Your right.I've still got my copy that i taped from BBC1 in the early 90's.