Top Up TV, will it survive past 2013?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Sorry if everyone saw this as a good omen that GOLD was going free to air
    Only the noobs.

Anyone who has been around this forum for more than a day already knows the score.;)
  • GiovanGiovan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone list exactly what TV Favourites subscribers are actually getting at the minute. It strikes me that they are paying £13.99 for close to nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the present we get:-

US Drama (Monday-Saturday two programmes per day)
    GOLD (11am-2pm Monday to Thursday, 12noon-2pm Friday with three-four programmes downloaded)
    Home (11am-12noon Friday access to whatever is on)
    C&I Channel (Monday-Friday one programme per day)
    History Channel (Monday-Thursday one-two programmes depending on length)
    Natioanl Geographic (Monday-Saturday one programmes per day)
    Picture Box (All week one film per day)

We then have a freeview picking service that gives us about six kids shows per day over two providers, a pick of the week from the TV programmes (drama, comedy, factual (can be handy if you miss some things)), pick of the week films (normally one film per day or every other day).

We have lost since autumn 2011 the following:-
    BBC Drama, Comedy & Factual (One-two programmes each per day)
    CBS Drama, Comedy (One-two programmes each per day)
    Warner Drama, Comedy (One-two programmes each per day)
    TV Box (One-two programmes each per day)
    Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Boomerang & Disney (Between two-three shows per service per day).
    GOLD reducing broadcasting from five hours (6pm-11pm every day) to a few hours five days a week.

Hence my previous post that if we had been the choice to increase paying I think many would have not minded relative to the volume and selection of shows available. If there could have been a confirmation that the service would have been maintained for about three years at this level, IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the present we get:-

US Drama (Monday-Saturday two programmes per day)
    GOLD (11am-2pm Monday to Thursday, 12noon-2pm Friday with three-four programmes downloaded)
    Home (11am-12noon Friday access to whatever is on)
    C&I Channel (Monday-Friday one programme per day)
    History Channel (Monday-Thursday one-two programmes depending on length)
    Natioanl Geographic (Monday-Saturday one programmes per day)
    Picture Box (All week one film per day)

We then have a freeview picking service that gives us about six kids shows per day over two providers, a pick of the week from the TV programmes (drama, comedy, factual (can be handy if you miss some things)), pick of the week films (normally one film per day or every other day).

We have lost since autumn 2011 the following:-
    BBC Drama, Comedy & Factual (One-two programmes each per day)
    CBS Drama, Comedy (One-two programmes each per day)
    Warner Drama, Comedy (One-two programmes each per day)
    TV Box (One-two programmes each per day)
    Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Boomerang & Disney (Between two-three shows per service per day).
    GOLD reducing broadcasting from five hours (6pm-11pm every day) to a few hours five days a week.

Hence my previous post that if we had been the choice to increase paying I think many would have not minded relative to the volume and selection of shows available. If there could have been a confirmation that the service would have been maintained for about three years at this level, IMO.

So despite losing all those services over the last few years, the price has risen from £9.99 to £13.99? That is just insane. I am not trolling here, I wanted topuptv to succeed and I use one of their PVRs as a freeview PVR, but I cannot believe anyone would allow themselves to be ripped off in this way.

A lovefilm DVD by post subscription would cost half this and you could have the very latest box sets sent to your house. If you can get BT vision then £12.50 will get you tonnes of stuff plus ESPN.

Topuptv must surely fold soon. They should never have sold off their DTT streams. The linear channel service they had back in 2005-2006 was a brilliant idea and could have got a few million subscribers by now.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giovan wrote: »
    So despite losing all those services over the last few years, the price has risen from £9.99 to £13.99? That is just insane. I am not trolling here, I wanted topuptv to succeed and I use one of their PVRs as a freeview PVR, but I cannot believe anyone would allow themselves to be ripped off in this way.

A lovefilm DVD by post subscription would cost half this and you could have the very latest box sets sent to your house. If you can get BT vision then £12.50 will get you tonnes of stuff plus ESPN.

Topuptv must surely fold soon. They should never have sold off their DTT streams. The linear channel service they had back in 2005-2006 was a brilliant idea and could have got a few million subscribers by now.

Which is exactly why, as soon as BT Infinity was available in our local area, we cancelled TUTV and moved to BT Vision+.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the only reason TV Favourites / Picture Box is still about is to annoy Sky. Sky had stated they didn't want companies to simply re-sell Sky Sports alone. So they have kept it on as a Zombie service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the only reason TV Favourites / Picture Box is still about is to annoy Sky. Sky had stated they didn't want companies to simply re-sell Sky Sports alone. So they have kept it on as a Zombie service.

But even without TV Favourites and Picturebox, TUTV are selling Sky Sports and ESPN so surely that would be OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giovan wrote: »
    But even without TV Favourites and Picturebox, TUTV are selling Sky Sports and ESPN so surely that would be OK.

TUTV are sticking within the letter of what Sky wanted but not the spirit. Since you can no longer buy new equipment to watch TV Favourites or Picture Box. This pretty much leaves them with ESPN. Whilst Ofcom rejected Sky's criticism of reselling we will have to wait and see what happens if TUTV were to drop any of the other stuff.
    A BSkyB spokesman said: "This confusion is a consequence of Ofcom's muddled interpretation of its own ruling. Our contract with TUTV was consistent with our understanding of Ofcom's original view that the obligation to supply should not apply when a distributor was simply looking to resell Sky Sports 1 and 2 on devices which wouldn't offer a broader range of services.

"Such simple reselling would do nothing to support Ofcom's claimed objective of promoting innovation. We do not agree with Ofcom's decision and we intend to exercise our right of appeal."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/12/bskyb-ofcom
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from BT "From 22nd February 2013 ESPN, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 will only be sold to BT Vision customers who already have, or take a BT Infinity package. Use our checker to find out if you are eligible." This could affect TUTV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Only when BT remove SkySports 1&2 from DTT.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stewM wrote: »
    Only when BT remove SkySports 1&2 from DTT.
    Alternatively,TopUpTV could take over the channels from BT, though I think it is more likely that BT will acquire TopUp.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Setanta gave way to ESPN in June 2009 and BT launched its two channels in July 2010. So any DTT switch off would most likely occur in the summer.
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Alternatively,TopUpTV could take over the channels from BT, though I think it is more likely that BT will acquire TopUp.

What is there to acquire?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are BT trying to loose customers or piss them off? Seems odd. Its not like BT Infinity is that widely available! That leaves me wondering what they are up to. Could they be stopping the streams on DTT and moving it over IPTV?

freetoview33 can you provide a link?
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports and ESPN will be delivered as IPTV channels along with the new additional channels so eventually BT won't need the DTT space.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It dose look like they are removing the Sky Sports Streams and ESPN will go too. Ive had a look on the BT Vision forum and it appears BT will only offer subscription Linear channels on BT Infinity!

If that is the case and the DTT streams go then its goodbye TUTV. That would make sense the way they have run it down so I expect they know its on the cards.

Hello guys,

As well as receiving 18 pay TV channels, customers with an Extra TV channel pack will also have access to 4 HD PSB channels. All of these channels are delivered through a customer’s Infinity broadband line and require new software and compatible hardware. For these reasons the pay TV and PSB HD channels are provided together. The 4 HD PSB channels are automatically added to a customer’s order at no extra cost when a customer’s takes an Extra TV channels pack.

If customers want HD PSB channels without taking an Extra TV channel pack they can take the BT Vision Essential pack on YouView.

Stephanie
    BTCare Community Manager

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1751020&page=11
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    stewM wrote: »
    What is there to acquire?

There might indeed be a residual value to the company because the list of current and former subscribers might be useful to the likes of BT Vision or TalkTalk so that they could then market their own services to ex-TUTV subscribers. However, the company might have to go into administration first to wipe out any large debts before it would be picked up by another company.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are BT trying to loose customers or piss them off? Seems odd. Its not like BT Infinity is that widely available! That leaves me wondering what they are up to. Could they be stopping the streams on DTT and moving it over IPTV?

freetoview33 can you provide a link?

http://www.btvision.bt.com/prices/

"From 22nd February 2013 ESPN, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 will only be sold to BT Vision customers who already have, or take a BT Infinity package"

also

"** From 14 September 2012 ESPN, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 add-ons will only be sold to Vision customers who are within a BT Infinity broadband enabled area. Go to www.bt.com/tellme to check if you are eligible."

so it seems it could be going to IPTV soon! :eek:
    Forum Member
    For those who take the new channels Sky Sports 1, 2 and ESPN are delivered IPTV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There might indeed be a residual value to the company because the list of current and former subscribers might be useful to the likes of BT Vision or TalkTalk so that they could then market their own services to ex-TUTV subscribers. However, the company might have to go into administration first to wipe out any large debts before it would be picked up by another company.
    I don't think there are any large debts, it's always been a low-cost operation.
    Amongst its assets, TopUp TV also owns DTT channel 34; I'm not sure how valuable DTT channels are now given growing DTT capacity and IPTV.
    By purchasing the company, BT could also prevent another company taking TopUp over and launching a refreshed service. Vodafone and O2 operate pay-tv services in many countries outside the UK, for example and could use TopUp TV as a starting point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder when TUTV will announce they are going to pull Sky Sports and ESPN? Its only 5 weeks away. I suppose they would have to give 30 days notice if they want to be remotely like the thing. Or leave you with a blank screen and announce how to contact the Administrator :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I don't think there are any large debts, it's always been a low-cost operation.
    Amongst its assets, TopUp TV also owns DTT channel 34; I'm not sure how valuable DTT channels are now given growing DTT capacity and IPTV.
    By purchasing the company, BT could also prevent another company taking TopUp over and launching a refreshed service. Vodafone and O2 operate pay-tv services in many countries outside the UK, for example and could use TopUp TV as a starting point.

One DTT channel is supposed to cost about £10m each per year if rented from Arqiva. TUTV simply wont pick up approx £30 Million if they want Sky Sports 1, 2 and ESPN to continue. I suppose they could axe TV Favourites and Picture Box and use it for Sky Sports 1 only. But I feel the sum don't add up for TUTV. They have an estimated 250,000 to 500,000 customers. Up to date info is hard to come by.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit :confused: what have btvision got to do with Topuptv?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    I am a bit :confused: what have btvision got to do with Topuptv?
    See post #87. Also i) DTT channels 41 & 42 which brodcast Sky Sports 1 & 2 on BT Vision and Top Up are owned by BT. BT has signalled its intent to supply these channels in the future by IPTV. ii) DTT channel 34 is the other way round - it's owned by TopUp and broadcasts ESPN and is resold by BT as well as TopUp,