Gazza's latest relapse.

DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Heard his agent on the radio last night talking about it and the various tabloid stories http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-gascoigne-says-no-one-1572075 Seems to be heading towards an inevitable fate.

One thing I find difficult is seeing the pictures of off licences and pubs selling him booze. Now I absolutely know they are doing nothing wrong and he will get it somewhere anyway but if it was me my conscience would be giving me hell. I know not many will agree with me but its how I feel.

As for Gazza its very sad but unless he wants to help himself I don't think anyone else can. I didn't ever think he was clean as such. In every interview when he wasn't drinking he would be chain smoking or chain exercising or something else. To my totally untrained eye it just seemed he was always replacing one addiction with another one.

Comments

• Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Its tragic stuff. It really is.

The final outcome seems tragically inevitable though.

Having worked in an off-licence unless he turn up drunk in the shop theres not much you can do im afraid.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the video footage from the Sun, i knew nothing about it until they mentioned it this morning on Goals On Sunday. Really sad.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I know and I think its one reason I couldn't do such a job. Hearing his agent last night its difficult to see anyone being much help at the moment. As I said I don't think he's ever conquered his demons, rather replaced each one with another one.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    He's doomed.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Afraid Gascoigne's made it on to my dead pool list, at least within the next 2 years. That said, he's managed, God only knows how, to have survived this long.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    Heard his agent on the radio last night talking about it and the various tabloid stories http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-gascoigne-says-no-one-1572075 Seems to be heading towards an inevitable fate.

One thing I find difficult is seeing the pictures of off licences and pubs selling him booze. Now I absolutely know they are doing nothing wrong and he will get it somewhere anyway but if it was me my conscience would be giving me hell. I know not many will agree with me but its how I feel.

It is very sad, but it happens all too often.

Many years ago a few of us used to frequent a well known wine bar in London's west-end after work and George Best was always there, in the corner, sometimes on his own, just having a quiet drink. The wine bar staff kept an eye out so he wasn't really disturbed by fans, but people bought him drinks and sometimes he'd have a chat. I suppose it was a place he felt comfortable and protected by the management, so maybe if he wasn't drinking there he would have had to go elsewhere where he might have been more vulnerable?

But as for Gazza, my heart goes out to him and wish him well and hope he can conquer his demons before it is too late.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    He's football's version of Haymitch from The Hunger Games. Past glories long behind him and now buried in an alcohol induced haze. It could be said that his career ending left a vacuum in his life that's he's filled with booze, but really even during his career he seemingly had no impulse control and always came across as a moronic "lad" with the mental age of a toddler. A media career may have sustained him post-fooball, like George Best, but since he can't speak coherently and never could, that avenue was a non-starter. Waste of talent. Waste of life.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Afraid Gascoigne's made it on to my dead pool list, at least within the next 2 years. That said, he's managed, God only knows how, to have survived this long.

Yeah Gazza is in a terrible state but sadly that is the effect Alcoholism has on people's lives, it is amazing though how much abuse the Human body can take from Alcohol.

I know of Women who Died from Alcoholism 2 or 3 weeks ago. She was in her mid 40's and she lived on her own and had no bed, (Just a mattress) No Curtains, No TV, No Carpet and No Heating she use to get through 2 or 3 bottles of Vodka a day and she had wasted £40,000 worth of savings on Staying in Premier Inn's and Bed and Breakfast's where she use to just drink until she passed out, she was often covered in her own urine.

In the end she fell down to the bottom of her stairs after she passed out drunk. The sad thing is that 10 to 15 years ago she had a good job, with a good salary a nice house and 2 kids aged 8 and 10.

The thing with Alcoholism is that it can hit anyone from any walk of life and the only person who can stop drinking is the drinker themselves. It isn't however just as easy as stopping one day like many people think, people like Gazza are seriously ill both mentally and Physically and in most cases the drinker can't stop and it eventually kills them. It is a sad and all too frequent story and although the Human body can take a huge amount of battering from Alcohol eventually it will give in and Gazza is getting close to the end game if he lives another 2 years he will of done well. Very Sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's such a shame . He's such a nice guy and what a player. He could have been a legend if it wasn't for that rush of blood in 'that' final that resulted in the awful injury .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's football's version of Haymitch from The Hunger Games. Past glories long behind him and now buried in an alcohol induced haze. It could be said that his career ending left a vacuum in his life that's he's filled with booze, but really even during his career he seemingly had no impulse control and always came across as a moronic "lad" with the mental age of a toddler. A media career may have sustained him post-fooball, like George Best, but since he can't speak coherently and never could, that avenue was a non-starter. Waste of talent. Waste of life.

He was an alcoholic when still playing so I don't think his career ending was the main issue but probably just made it much worse. As you say he's always seemed to be immature and never grown up. He's probably always had some sort of mental issues,
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    Just watched the video footage from the Sun, i knew nothing about it until they mentioned it this morning on Goals On Sunday. Really sad.

Whoever let him on the stage in that state needs to have their head examined. Absolutely shocking.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    He was an alcoholic when still playing so I don't think his career ending was the main issue but probably just made it much worse. As you say he's always seemed to be immature and never grown up. He's probably always had some sort of mental issues,

He has, ever since he was a young kid.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Whoever let him on the stage in that state needs to have their head examined. Absolutely shocking.

I agree
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »

His agent said he wanted to go on and not let people down. He also said he only saw him drink two cans of beer and didn't know how much he may have drunk earlier. I find all that difficult to believe as its blatantly obvious Gazza is completely off his head at the time.
    Forum Member
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    The thing with Alcoholism is that it can hit anyone from any walk of life and the only person who can stop drinking is the drinker themselves. It isn't however just as easy as stopping one day like many people think, people like Gazza are seriously ill both mentally and Physically and in most cases the drinker can't stop and it eventually kills them. It is a sad and all too frequent story and although the Human body can take a huge amount of battering from Alcohol eventually it will give in and Gazza is getting close to the end game if he lives another 2 years he will of done well. Very Sad.

That is a sad story, and you are right when you say the only person who can do it is the drinker themselves.

I have a lot of personal experience in this, I lost my brother and best friend both alcoholics and both died before the age of 45. I myself am 5 years 'dry' - I did actually give up over night and my inspiration was my children, but it hasn't always been easy but I know I will never drink again!

But I was one of the lucky ones, in Arsene Wenger's words "mental strength" ;) but for some it takes much more, so they have my complete sympathy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    That is a sad story, and you are right when you say the only person who can do it is the drinker themselves.

I have a lot of personal experience in this, I lost my brother and best friend both alcoholics and both died before the age of 45. I myself am 5 years 'dry' - I did actually give up over night and my inspiration was my children, but it hasn't always been easy but I know I will never drink again!

But I was one of the lucky ones, in Arsene Wenger's words "mental strength" ;) but for some it takes much more, so they have my complete sympathy.

Glad you've come through it. I've never been a "drinker" as such. An odd pint here or there is fine but I've never really liked the feeling of being drunk. Guess I'm lucky for that in many ways.
    Forum Member

A massive well done to you, anyone who can give up drink like that has my up most respect as it is one of the hardest things in life to beat, as you are battling against your own Brain as the instinct for an Alcoholic is to drink. The next drink for a physical addict is as important as the next breath for a 'normal' person. Like yourself i'm a recovering Alcoholic who has been 'dry' for a year so i know it takes true "Mental Strength" to quote Wenger to fight and hopefully beat the addiction.I know it can be done as a man at one of my groups just stopped drinking like yourself and he was apparently told he had 2 months left to live and he has now gone 9 years dry, but it is very rare as i have seen many examples were people just can't beat it. Again well done to you.
    Forum Member
    A massive well done to you, anyone who can give up drink like that has my up most respect as it is one of the hardest things in life to beat, as you are battling against your own Brain as the instinct for an Alcoholic is to drink. The next drink for a physical addict is as important as the next breath for a 'normal' person. Like yourself i'm a recovering Alcoholic who has been 'dry' for a year so i know it takes true "Mental Strength" to quote Wenger to fight and hopefully beat the addiction.I know it can be done as a man at one of my groups just stopped drinking like yourself and he was apparently told he had 2 months left to live and he has now gone 9 years dry, but it is very rare as i have seen many examples were people just can't beat it. Again well done to you.

Well done you as well, stay strong. It's just making that 'decision' and meaning it, that's why I feel so much for someone like Gazza.

Mind you (getting back to footie), the sight of Van Persie in a Utd shirt almost had me cracking open a bottle of Pinot Grigio!!! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done you as well, stay strong. It's just making that 'decision' and meaning it, that's why I feel so much for someone like Gazza.

Mind you (getting back to footie), the sight of Van Persie in a Utd shirt almost had me cracking open a bottle of Pinot Grigio!!! ;)

Chamakh in an Arsenal shirt could induce similar feelings!
    Forum Member
    Chamakh in an Arsenal shirt could induce similar feelings!

:D ha - let's not even go there....Chamack, Gervinho, Denilson, Squiiaci, take your pick *shudder*....!
    Forum Member

Thanks it has been hard at times but life is so much better without it, your right it is about making a 'decision' and sticking to it no matter how hard it can be.

I don't know what you mean about Van Persie it is a wonderful thing seeing him in a United shirt lol, seriously though i could understand an Arsenal fans frustration. A more distressing site was seeing City win the league like they did last season i could of had a drink then.
    Forum Member
    Thanks it has been hard at times but life is so much better without it, your right it is about making a 'decision' and sticking to it no matter how hard it can be.

I don't know what you mean about Van Persie it is a wonderful thing seeing him in a United shirt lol, seriously though i could understand an Arsenal fans frustration. A more distressing site was seeing City win the league like they did last season i could of had a drink then.

You see, this is why football conjures up all sorts of emotions! After Arsenal's dreadful match against City the other week, we were in sitting in the pub on the Holloway Rd, everyone drowning their sorrows, and I was sitting there with a Slimline Tonic, suffice to say it didn't help at all :)
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Sad story of the bojy with the world at his feet but then blew it.

Hope he wins the fight but he'll be found dead chocking on his own vomit the way things are going.

Money cant buy everything :(
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordon Taylor was on TalkSport and said they've put Gazza in countless programmes and clinics and he quits or signs out of them
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a naturally talented footballer,did some amazing things during his career but once it ended he didn't really know what to do with himself.
    A terrible shame.