Could Ken Barlow be recast?

blue_avalancheblue_avalanche Posts: 78
Forum Member
Could Ken Barlow be recast without anyone noticing?

Noddy Holder could be an ideal replacement.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people would notice. ;)

I don't think he should be recast. It's a shame that Bill Roache didn't leave before these accusations. I can't see Ken having a particularly glorious exit now, even if he's found innocent.

Maybe they'll find a nice new man for Deirdre though, Noddy could be her new beau.
  • Redhead69Redhead69 Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They shouldn't recast Ken Barlow. If he doesn't come back, then they should just kill him off, as it would be easier to explain a massive heart attack than think up some rubbish storyline.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, No, No and No.

How can you recast a character who has been played fby one guy for over 50 years.

And anyway, how many 80 year old actors, are actively looking for work.

Guess you could have Bernard Cribbins
  • WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    What about Harry Belafonte?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    No way, as previous poster said he's played the part for 50 years and I think the fans, and probably the cast and crew too, would probably prefer he wasn't recast.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see him ever coming back to the show now tbh.
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Maybe Deirdre could explain his absence by telling everybody he's "upstairs listening to his tapes"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh FFS... Of course he could be recast. The only objections would be from the fans who think that the character should have exactly the same actor that has been played Ken Barlow. Yes we would know its a different actor it is a soap after all!

Those very same fans who don't want a recast are unlikely to be happy for the character to disappear without a mention. There is absolutely no reason why another actor couldn't play Ken Barlow for the small amount of time it would take for the producers to kill the character off and resolve his ending. It's a Lose/Lose situation...
  • NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is everyone so bugged by a character's absence. He is "still" there, just simply off-screen. We don't see everyone's lives 24/7 nor does everything need to be explained or mentioned.
  • ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could and viewers should be thoughtful enough to understand that the actor cant do the job so another actor was brought in to do it for him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mercury88 wrote: »
    No way, as previous poster said he's played the part for 50 years and I think the fans, and probably the cast and crew too, would probably prefer he wasn't recast.

And do you think that those highlighted would accept that he wasn't mentioned at all or killed off screen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could and viewers should be thoughtful enough to understand that the actor cant do the job so another actor was brought in to do it for him

This ^^^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    And do you think that those highlighted would accept that he wasn't mentioned at all or killed off screen?

I think its time they wrote him out now. I think he should actually say he will resign for the stability of the show. After all if he is not going to come to trial until next January that is an awful long time for a major character of his age to have to restart back into the rhythm of filming after such a long break. I don't think replacing him is a good idea at all. if it was Kevin then maybe I could see a new actor working out but not with someone who has such history in the show, longest running actor etc.

They could maybe write in that he had to go away to see one of his other kids (maybe the one with Denise?) then he has an accident abroad so we never see a funeral. Sometime later, ie after the trial if he is cleared there could be a fabulous memorial service for Ken on the street!
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO! You can't recast Ken
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    If he's guilty I don't think Corrie will recast Ken
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosses have probably wanted rid of him for years I mean he's been there 60 years and he is 81 but they couldn't really sack him being the original but it must be difficult keep finding a new storyline.

What does he do beside cheat on Deidre, get back with Deidre, cheat on her, he's not really done much else beside be there as part of his children's storylines or be a comedy character for Blanche.

No I suspect secretly the bosses will be quite relieved question is how do they write him out?

I alway wondered if both Roache and Le Vell are found guilty how much this tarnishes the brand and would this mean they would never repeat the show again?

Roache has been there from the start it must tarnish the brand in some ways in the same way you will never see TOTP with Jimmy Saville repeated.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They simply won't recast Ken, no chance
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken and Kevin should never be recast they made the parts their own for so long what ever the outcome.
    Forum Member
    Why not give the roles of Ken & Kevin to other actors who actually need the work/money?

It's not like soaps actually bother with casting new long term characters nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously why would they recast a character that is 81 what is the point?

They will have no real big stories do you want the character to go for the oldest person in the world record?

What can they get out of this character he has been going 60 years move on.
    Forum Member
    They could hire some one younger, give Ken a face lift & have him recite Hamlet.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,684
    Forum Member
    This has got to be the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen.
  • davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would never recast but the ideal candidate would be Alan Rothwell who played Ken's brother in the 60s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    This has got to be the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen.

You should try the Broadcasting thread sometimes particularly the BBC threads ;)
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Bosses have probably wanted rid of him for years I mean he's been there 60 years and he is 81 but they couldn't really sack him being the original but it must be difficult keep finding a new storyline.
    steveh31 wrote: »
    What can they get out of this character he has been going 60 years move on.
    The show started in 1960, I make that 53 years.