Options

Young people are so straight nowadays.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Never controversial, don't shock, don't rebel, all very straight and well behaved. In the 1970's Led Zepplin would finish a gig then back to the hotel with 100 virgins. Then you had the sex pistols, every parents nightmare. Banned videos, oliver reed drunk on the tube, the list go's on.

Now I'd imagine alex turner when he finishes a tour, takes his washing home to his mum.

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »
    Never controversial, don't shock, don't rebel, all very straight and well behaved. In the 1970's Led Zepplin would finish a gig then back to the hotel with 100 virgins. Then you had the sex pistols, every parents nightmare. Banned videos, oliver reed drunk on the tube, the list go's on.

Now I'd imagine alex turner when he finishes a tour, takes his washing home to his mum.

I am sure they have there share of fun but maybe just more discreetly, and maybe they dont want their own version of Operation Yewtree a few years down the line and where anyone they ever kissed is on the front page of a tabloid.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think you need to get out more if you think modern teens are simpering innocent wallflowers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think you need to get out more if you think modern teens are simpering innocent wallflowers

Well I don't see it. There is meant to be a million young people out of work. They should be burning down Buckingham palace in protest.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Stones had a good thing, they used to stand on the balcony of their hotel suite with binoculars whilst the hotel's concierge mingled amongst the throng of groupies. They then used to direct him to the ones they wanted sending up to the room. :D
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought chucking a tv out of a window and trashing your hotel room to show you were a 'true rock star' was all a bit pathetic.

You do not have to act like an arshole to be in a great band.

It reminds me of those repulsive little pricks Pete Doherty and Bieber spitting on people and acting 'hard' behind a wall of bodyguards.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never controversial, don't shock, don't rebel, all very straight and well behaved. In the 1970's Led Zeppelin would finish a gig then back to the hotel with 100 virgins.

100 virgins? In the UK? in the '70s?
    You're having a laugh.
    Where was the gig, in a convent?
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, the list goes on.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel a bit sorry for young people.
    Either they're getting abuse for being workshy doley scrotes with five thousand children each by a different mother/father or they're vandals and thugs with no respect for their elders or like here, they're being scorned because they're not quite nasty enough.

Well, no, that's not remotely true; because like in every other generation before them and in every generation that will follow, there will be criminals and thugs and gits and ordinary Joe Bloggses and hard working ones and kind ones and academic ones and fortunate ones and brilliant ones and every other kind that there has always been and always will be.

Nothing much changes in the human condition, after all.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Well I don't see it. There is meant to be a million young people out of work. They should be burning down Buckingham palace in protest.

Well, there were the 2011 riots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Either they're getting abuse for being workshy doley scrotes with five thousand children each by a different mother/father or they're vandals and thugs with no respect for their elders or like here, they're being scorned because they're not quite nasty enough.

Well, no, that's not remotely true; because like in every other generation before them and in every generation that will follow, there will be criminals and thugs and gits and ordinary Joe Bloggses and hard working ones and kind ones and academic ones and fortunate ones and brilliant ones and every other kind that there has always been and always will be.

I never said they were thugs. On the main I find them fantastic, brilliant hardworking people.
    But a bit square.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said they were thugs. On the main I find them fantastic, brilliant hardworking people.
    But a bit square.

But they send Tweets!

What more do you want?
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Yeah I was going to say lol there are plenty of troublemakers around. Some people in urban areas are scared to go out at night due to knife wielding youngsters and there are issues with gangs etc. but maybe thats a separate issue?. I'm pretty sure there are rebellious younger people around.
    Espresso wrote: »

That's true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Well, there were the 2011 riots.

That was just people that wanted free trainers and pyromaniacs acting out their fantasies. I don't recall anyone demanding change apart from Labour, who hijacked and romanticised it for their own ends quite successfully.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Well now we have One infection and Justin Bleeder.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was speaking to a young Isle of Wight festival goer last year saying I wouldn't like to go to it. I got the 'oh yeah you are a bit old'

Her face was a picture when I said 'actually its because when I went in 69/70 it was free and I could walk around stark naked, now you have to pay mega bucks for a ticket and have security guards and bag searches.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Well this makes a change from the usual "the youth of today have no respect" and whatever people say to make the current youth sound like the worst ever, as if their generation were saints.

Now you get people in their 20s talking like this! I don't know if people of that age group used to complain about kids. Growing up I always associated that attitude to elders.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Young people are so straight nowadays.

What are we supposed to be talking about here; young people as part of the general population, or pop stars?

If talking pop stars, then yes, I would agree that the public persona is so carefully stage managed for these manufactured stars that any wrong doings are discretely dealt with. The music industry is very different today and it's reflected in the lack of vision and blandness of the charts.

As for "young people" as part of the general population, I think it's harder to level the criticism. Look at the televised excesses of Lad's (and Ladettes) culture, drugs, posing, and wannabes trying to live TOWIE champagne lifestyles on beer budgets. That's definitely not square. If anything, today's youth sees more outrageous behaviour now than I think there has been in the last 6 decades. The difference is that parents, and in some cases grandparents, were caning it as hard or harder so there's no shock value any longer.

What's missing I think is the strongly defined musical genres. Where's the contemporary equivalents of the sort of the Teddie Boys, Rockers, Punks, New Romantics etc? Music in general is less relevant to youth now. They consume more but with it seems less passion. Pop has always been disposable, so there's nothing new there. It's just become marginalised and lost amongst the bombardment of social media, gaming, mobile phones, reality TV and the rest. Mainstream music is homogenised and bland. Fringe music is splintered in to countless subgenres that it has no real weight.

That may be the problem in Britain. No one in the media spotlight wants to be seen to be controversial. Politicians are scared to say what they feel. Everyone is too-damned PC and looking for the middle way. I think a lot of this might have started with the Blair Government. So it's rubbed off on successive generations.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member

Yeah, I agree. Wrote a thread about it not long since;

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1943101&highlight=
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet the young Hitler never neknominated
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps because when they do rebel or act out the idiot media publishes bollocks about how they are workshy and have an inflated sense of entitlement; and worse, the idiot sheeple believe it.
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a good point. The young people I meet are generally lovely people but they do seem a bit 'square'. I often have to fake being an adult around our two eldest so that they dont lose respect for me :D

When my eldest two were much younger I used to allow them 5 minutes of swearing a week, in the belief that if I allowed them to do some little naughty/rebellious stuff when they were young, they would be less likely to do 'big naughty/rebellious' stuff when they were older.
    They used to stand there with excited looks on their faces spitting venom for 5 minutes: Fcuk, knob, willy, tits, piss, fcukety fcuk, shit bum bollox. They used to thoroughly enjoy it...and so did we.

10 years later, my youngest Daughter was invited to 'have a go', but she has no desire to play this whatsoever - even when my eldest Daughter offered her £20 to say the word 'crap'. The young people of today wont rebel even when offered a financial reward. Maybe she will be the one that actually rebels when she is older :o

I think some just cant be arsed to rebel or riot. Many appear to take out their frustration/ease boredom via computer games. Why risk getting arrested in the real world (and having to use those leg things) when you can mow people down or shoot them without leaving your nice warm bed.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno - maybe straight is the new cool? Personally, I find folks who are still trying to "stick it to the man" or literally contort themselves in order to be rebellious/cool/outré are achingly dull, boring and ultimately very predictable and following a herd. Being straight/nice/polite is a righteous thing in my view.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids today are smarter and more sensible in the main.....but still have their fun......hoorah for them :)

Growing up with the www is one main factor, better and quicker informed and able to communicate at a flash with friends...not easily brainwashed by the old telly and MS news....wise little generation imo

More than I can say for some adults
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's great - exactly how I was at their age. Used to cycle, read, attend the library and museums, visit towns of interest, and stay in at night watching the telly with my Mum, Dad & sister.

Other kids the same age as me, thought I was a bit boring.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    do you know any? they all seem just the same to me.