Batman Movies - Why won't he kill The Joker?

Comments

• BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondor if Batman will appear in Gotham... which at the moment means no justice will prevail for Gordan as we all know they will live etc.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Brookside wrote: »
    I wondor if Batman will appear in Gotham... which at the moment means no justice will prevail for Gordan as we all know they will live etc.

Are you referring to the new Series Gotham?
    If so then it's highly unlikely Batman will appear considering Bruce is just a child.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Are you referring to the new Series Gotham?
    If so then it's highly unlikely Batman will appear considering Bruce is just a child.

He knows, he's just doing the rounds bumping all his old threads.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I really recommend reading "The Killing Joke" Batman comic..

Meh. That was the first Alan Moore comic I remember being a bit let down by. He was in his prime than, V For Vendetta/MarvelMan/Swamp Thing, etc...

I much prefer Moore's writing for Batman in his Swamp Thing cameo.
  • BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    He knows, he's just doing the rounds bumping all his old threads.

Oh do get over yourself, you love to comment regardless don't you. Unless you know the future of the show, no need for your input.

You got the other thread closed so go whine somewhere else. Everybody else has had something constructive up until your dumb comment.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Meh. That was the first Alan Moore comic I remember being a bit let down by. He was in his prime than, V For Vendetta/MarvelMan/Swamp Thing, etc...

I much prefer Moore's writing for Batman in his Swamp Thing cameo.

batman kills the joker at the end of the killing joke, hence the title.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh do get over yourself, you love to comment regardless don't you. Unless you know the future of the show, no need for your input.

You got the other thread closed so go whine somewhere else. Everybody else has had something constructive up until your dumb comment.

Calm down, calm down
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would imagine that is quite likely, but will depend on how the ratings for the show take off...they will need to move the show on a few years as Bruce is a child in Gotham. If Batman does it appear, it will probably only be one episode, and that will probably be the last ever episode, so a long way down the line I imagine.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really recommend reading "The Killing Joke" Batman comic..

Haha, might be a bit too dark for some people who expect Batman to POW and BAM the Joker.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    The thing is, though, didn't Superman kill Zod in Superman 2? Where was the outcry over that?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUORL-bvwA0

There was. Mainly at Zac Synder's arrogance.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Joker = $£€¥$ Hollywood would be crazy to get rid of him :D
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    batman kills the joker at the end of the killing joke, hence the title.

No , he doesn't .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No , he doesn't .

He does, Read it again..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wQ2x0OKBjU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused:
    what are you talking about ? he doesn't kill him .

Batman kills the joker in Miller's Dark Knight .
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, not buying it. Batman does not kill the joker at the end of that book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

watch the link..
    Batman reaches out and grabs him the laughter suddenly stops and the beam of light goes out. symbolic of the jokers final joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watch the link..
    Batman reaches out and grabs him the laughter suddenly stops and the beam of light goes out. symbolic of the jokers final joke.

nah , Miller killed the joker a couple of years earlier in the Dark Knight (set in the future) , and that was a huge event , Batman breaking his code etc.
    Now I can't see Alan Moore going - 'Well I'll kill him too ' that would be taking away from The Dark Knight which is a classic .
    . and there was no need for it anyway , the story is about them coming to realise where they're headed , yes its symbolic , it's foreshadowing of what will eventually happen .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nah , Miller killed the joker a couple of years earlier in the Dark Knight (set in the future) , and that was a huge event , Batman breaking his code etc.
    Now I can't see Alan Moore going - 'Well I'll kill him too ' that would be taking away from The Dark Knight which is a classic .
    . and there was no need for it anyway , the story is about them coming to realise where they're headed , yes its symbolic , it's foreshadowing of what will eventually happen .

so you think after that bonding moment they had a little cuddle and went along merrily to arkham?:p
    The joker had gone to far. why did the laughter suddenly stop?..of course its open to interpretation but thats part of the genius of it. The joker has died a million times.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is certainly not obvious or clear-cut that Batman killed The Joker... at most it's "open to interpretation".

Also, that video actually links to the script, which not only makes no mention of Batman killing The Joker, but which also says this:

http://punkstaypunk.tumblr.com/post/58459316029/kj88
    Now just a half figure or head and shoulders shot of the Batman from the front. The absurdity of the situation comes homes to him, and one corner of his mouth twitches upwards. He and The Joker are going to kill each other one day. It’s preordained. They may as well enjoy this one rare moment of contact while it lasts.

If Batman killed The Joker at the end, then why say they are "are going to kill each other one day" followed by "They may as well enjoy this one rare moment of contact while it lasts"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is certainly not obvious or clear-cut that Batman killed The Joker... at most it's "open to interpretation".

Also, that video actually links to the script, which not only makes no mention of Batman killing The Joker, but which also says this:

If Batman killed The Joker at the end, then why say they are "are going to kill each other one day" followed by "They may as well enjoy this one rare moment of contact while it lasts"?

People take different things from it, i always read the ending that way, there is no right or wrong.The fact its open to interpretation and debate, is one of the reasons its a classic.

But saying that if the interpretation of joker and bats just having a laugh together after what he did and then going off to arkham is the correct one, then the ending to that book sucks.
  • Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    People take different things from it, i always read the ending that way, there is no right or wrong.The fact its open to interpretation and debate, is one of the reasons its a classic.

No its not up for interpretation. The script makes it quite clear that there was no killing of the joker in that last page.
    But saying that if the interpretation of joker and bats just having a laugh together after what he did and then going off to arkham is the correct one, then the ending to that book sucks.

That's actually the beauty of it - the irony of the situation, an allusion to the crazy relationship the two share with each other. I think it's a great ending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No its not up for interpretation. The script makes it quite clear that there was no killing of the joker in that last page..

Where on the script is it quite clear? For the last few moments the action is off panel, and its left up to your imagination. Just because you don't see that dosnt mean it never happened.why would they spell it out in the script if the writer wants you to draw your own conclusions. Its up to the reader to decide. You dont think he died then thats fine.

The joker dying at the end gives everything that has gone before in the story more meaning. Batman gives him the speech again to make him see reason and the joker answers by saying its to late for that and then tells him that joke, and batman knows at that moment from his answer they are going to keep going round and round so he has no choice but to kill him then. you know this because the jokers laughter abruptly stops and then the beam of light goes out between them which is symbolic of the story in the jokers final joke and also i think it means the line between them has gone and they really are now the same because batman has finally killed. joker told the killing joke at the end. why else is it called the killing joke?
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member

No he doesn't - he's psyched himself up to kill him, justifying it by reminding himself of all the people who've died because he's let The Joker live. However The Joker gets the last laugh - although mortally wounded, he effectively kills himself, breaking his own neck and then some sort of incendiary device goes off. Batman gets the blame regardless.

Batman does kill another opponent later on in the Dark Knight series. There's also an ambiguous scene with a rogue army officer who's been selling weapons to criminals - I'm not sure if he commits suicide or if Batman kills him.
  • Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Where on the script is it quite clear? ?

Panel 3: Third "paragraph". The writer explicitly states they're not going to kill each other

The whole situation between the Joker and Batman is far more complicated here than you (or Grant Morrison) make out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he doesn't - he's psyched himself up to kill him, justifying it by reminding himself of all the people who've died because he's let The Joker live. However The Joker gets the last laugh - although mortally wounded, he effectively kills himself, breaking his own neck and then some sort of incendiary device goes off. Batman gets the blame regardless.

Batman does kill another opponent later on in the Dark Knight series. There's also an ambiguous scene with a rogue army officer who's been selling weapons to criminals - I'm not sure if he commits suicide or if Batman kills him.

yes , indeed , I meant to say Miller killed the joker .