Options

Beware... The English are Stirring...

WBAboyWBAboy Posts: 39
Forum Member
More and more people I know getting resentful of the politicians falling over themselves to offer Scotland anything to stay in the Union.
Erm 'hello...' 55 million of us in Engand!
What about the Welsh & N. Irish too???

Comments

• Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm usually a quiet, non-protestation sort of chap. But, if Scotland vote NO, and they get a bigger share per head than anyone else in the UK as promised and all the concessions under the sun, whilst England and Wales get nowt, I am prepared to organise a rally and try and get millions of people protesting outside Westminster about this. There are 5 million people in Scotland whinging about everything and anything about hard done by they are yet 55million people are being ignored.

So, come on people, any English or Welsh person pissed off about Scotland being promised the earth at our expense join me. I am totally angry about this and it's about time the English woke up and started sticking up for ourselves. I actually am hoping and praying that Scotland bugger off now. I'm sick of their "poor little Scotsman, how hard done by we are" attitudes.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Well, I'm usually a quiet, non-protestation sort of chap. But, if Scotland vote NO, and they get a bigger share per head than anyone else in the UK as promised and all the concessions under the sun, whilst England and Wales get nowt, I am prepared to organise a rally and try and get millions of people protesting outside Westminster about this. There are 5 million people in Scotland whinging about everything and anything about hard done by they are yet 55million people are being ignored.

So, come on people, any English or Welsh person pissed off about Scotland being promised the earth at our expense join me. I am totally angry about this and it's about time the English woke up and started sticking up for ourselves. I actually am hoping and praying that Scotland bugger off now. I'm sick of their "poor little Scotsman, how hard done by we are" attitudes.

Thanks, I needed a laugh
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sickening that lack of backbone all three leaders have shown.

You can see how easily we have surrended to our overlords in Brussels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Thanks, I needed a laugh

You'll get one Friday!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    It's sickening that lack of backbone all three leaders have shown.

You can see how easily we have surrended to our overlords in Brussels.

Yes. Makes you wonder what Winston Churchill or Margaret Thatcher would have done. Given in? Doubtful.

I thought the question was "in or out, yes or no". So why all this bollocks of giving them a golden chalice?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Great post. A lot of English people are now sick of hearing 'sovereign Scottish,' 'we will have a currency union' & 'spend spend spend.'

Goodwill in England is waning dramatically and in the event of a 'Yes' will disappear to be replaced by a demand to ensure we DO NOT enter any sort of agreement with Scotland.

IN the event of a NO vote, I believe there will be protests on the street in England and the politicians will panic.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,428
    Forum Member
    Beware... The English are Stirring...

Nah, poll tax riots aside, the British just don't do protests a la our friends in France. There might be some minor grumbling or whingeing from the Daily Mail and a few of the usual swivel-eyed Tory suspects but that'll be about it.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    WBAboy wrote: »
    Great post. A lot of English people are now sick of hearing 'sovereign Scottish,' 'we will have a currency union' & 'spend spend spend.'

Goodwill in England is waning dramatically and in the event of a 'Yes' will disappear to be replaced by a demand to ensure we DO NOT enter any sort of agreement with Scotland.

IN the event of a NO vote, I believe there will be protests on the street in England and the politicians will panic.

And reach for the water cannons :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron is weak willed and vacilliating, Milliband is a brainwashed Marxist unable to function outside his Westminster bubble, Clegg just tells you what you want to hear.

We need someone to say, "here is the deal, if you don't like it, then go"
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice of you to remember. Ever thought that might be part of the problem?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

I don't think the truly outrageous sight of the three main UK party leaders falling over themselves to dole out freebies to Scotland will be forgotten by many English people. It was quite a spectacle they made of themselves. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we don't start to see an increasing groundswell of resentment building up and expressing itself in Westminster should there be a 'No' result.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All I know is after Friday, hopefully I'll see less & lees of Salmond on the TV !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    All I know is after Friday, hopefully I'll see less & lees of Salmond on the TV !

Don't bank on it! If anything the feeble, spineless party leaders of Westminster have created more reasons to see more of him! Their promises to Scotland has meant more angry Salmond and more angry Salmond means more slagging off of the English.....I mean Westminster!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to take up archery, you never know when the Scots will invade again
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Either we way we will probably see more of him, if its yes he will be even more of a smug unbearable b@stard than he already his, and if NO wins he will be everywear complaining about it being unfair, biased and fixed and all England, sorry Wesminster's fault...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol. That's a point... if there's a 'Yes' vote can't we just buy southern Scotland and Faslane... would solve a lot of problems!
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the truly outrageous sight of the three main UK party leaders falling over themselves to dole out freebies to Scotland will be forgotten by many English people. It was quite a spectacle they made of themselves. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we don't start to see an increasing groundswell of resentment building up and expressing itself in Westminster should there be a 'No' result.

I'm stalking you.:D there has to be a groundswell of resentment towards centralised government that takes no cognisance of disparity. The loss of individuality , the idea that government will define who we are and how we define ourselves has finally overreached itself . No one, Scots , English Irish or Welsh are prepared to tolerate the dictation of big goverment defining how we must regard ourselves. We are indeed tolerant and inclusive and pretty amazing and remarkable.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Yes. Makes you wonder what Winston Churchill or Margaret Thatcher would have done. Given in? Doubtful.

I thought the question was "in or out, yes or no". So why all this bollocks of giving them a golden chalice?
    Ironically as a vehement Southern English no, I am economically Social Democrat ish.

Among other things, I think this is a fight to retain the remnants of Attlee for all the UK.

The NHS, BBC etc.

But I would have loved to have seen Margaret Thatcher in action on this one.

There is almost a book in it.
  • Options
    Tucks21Tucks21 Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well that's certainly the brightest bit of news in all this -his smugness has driven me crazy for years. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I'm stalking you.:D there has to be a groundswell of resentment towards centralised government that takes no cognisance of disparity. The loss of individuality , the idea that government will define who we are and how we define ourselves has finally overreached itself . No one, Scots , English Irish or Welsh are prepared to tolerate the dictation of big goverment defining how we must regard ourselves. We are indeed tolerant and inclusive and pretty amazing and remarkable.

The trouble is though, the English, Welsh and Northern Irish have had no say at all over the potential break up of our country. That is a bold statement: The potential break up of our country. So, clearly, when through no fault of ours, no consultation, no opinions sought, just presumptions based on what politicians thought, when party leaders start offering Scotspeople the earth in order to stay in the union but utterly and deplorably, misjudge and even ignore the views of the majority, or should I say the entirety of the UK should Scotland break away, then obviously ill-feeling is going to develop.

Whatever the outcome on Thursday, even if it's NO, it saddens me to say that Alex Salmond is the man who destroyed our union because people will never see things quite in the same way again.

The United Kingdom is our country too. It matters to us about what happens. We are led to feel that the world revolves around Scotland and the rest of us can just put up or shut up. Well, I have been quiet for long enough.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron, Clegg and Milliband are all pathetic, weak, snivelling politicians. What do people expect?

Much as I loathe Salmond, at least he actually stands up for the people he is supposed to represent.
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Beware... The English are Stirring..."

Thought I'd stumbled in to the Food & Drink section...

Awww, you feeling neglected?

A promise of a bit more devolution and it's "Wahhh, what about us?" :cry: Grow up,
    is having 85% of the MPs at Westminster not enough? The will of English MPs has been pushing through policy for the whole of the UK for too long.
  • Options
    LenkaLenka Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More and more people I know getting resentful of the politicians falling over themselves to offer Scotland anything to stay in the Union.
    Erm 'hello...' 55 million of us in Engand!

:D I know, It is great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    geemonkee wrote: »

A promise of a bit more devolution and it's "Wahhh, what about us?" :cry: Grow up,
    is having 85% of the MPs at Westminster not enough? The will of English MPs has been pushing through policy for the whole of the UK for too long.

So it really is an anti English referendum.
    Thanks for clearing that up! :D

And you want a Currency Union!? Yeah Right!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »

It's these chip on the shoulder type attitudes that get people angry. Of course the English are going to have 85% of MP's. There's 50 million approx people in England. So clearly they need more representation. Scotland has Westminster representation, their own parliament, concessions and now even more concessions. And you are still not happy!

The resentment from Scots comes because you simply can't accept that your population is tiny compared to England's and because England has a larger Westminster representation you don't seem to like it!

And you tell us to grow up!