Options

I Worked On The Best Years of British TV

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    Not really Den, except I knew if a scary bit was coming up I knew how it was done. :D
    I always thought the idea of films and tv was to entertain us, not show us how to paint my front room, (I know how to do that ;) ) Still, ''Each to their own..

Big Jake.. It can only get better,????????

Aitch,
    Well there is a small glimmer of hope. There is a report in the sci-fi forum that ITV have just purchased their first sci-fi, from Warner Bros., for the first time in 7 years.

Perhaps they took notice of the new series of DW and realised, what with the trouncing of two of it's competing programmes (three if you count Ant & Dec which was beaten every week in the ratings - but that's for another thread) that people want decent drama and comedy on tv, not endless dross in the form of 'reality' and 'celebrity' programmes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Hello Metermaid,
    No not escaped, but time off for good behaviour, :D
    Hope you are keeping well,

Den, Re. New Scifi..
    Well that sounds like good news.

Aitch,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all,
    Just let me say how sad my family and I are for those poor people in London yesterday. I used to live near Kings Cross and I did make many phone calls to check if any of my old friends were ok..So far so good..

Aitch,
  • Options
    ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aitch, an honour!

I worked in London for years and a lot of my workmates were there yesterday when things were happening, so a bit of a traumatic few hours checking they were ok on the phones (while they were working yesterday). Thankfully all were fine but it was a very sad day and hoping that everyone else who had people around the area are all ok.

Still, life goes on, I just had to say how much I enjoyed the CBTV shows back on Thames in 84. The presenters (Sweeney, Steen, Anneka and Shearer- oh suit you sir) really worked well together and your security guard schtick was fun too. They all went out live didn't they? I've just found I still have about 15 of them on video- time for a bit of loft exploration me thinks! Are Jim and Steve still performing together? Their improv stuff was just fantastic.

Aitch spotting was great 'sport' in the '70s & 80's and it's great to see you sharing you memories here on the forum.

As I said before - sir, an honor (as I try to get the theme tune to Target out of my head :) ).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello ToneX1R,

Indeed we did go out live on CBTV,(82/83/84)
    There are some video clips at the end of my web page.
    Jim and Steve are still treading the boards somewhere around the country but I haven't seen Paul for years.
    It seems funny now for a grown man to get a living out of films and tv the way I did, but I'm glad I did it.
    Aitch spotting,?????
    Now I'm on a job one day and the director asks me.....
    ''What are you like at stage fights Aitch''
    I tell him ''No good Guv''
    ''Well this is easy ''he tells me. ''All you have to do is break into the farmers barn and nick a couple of chickens..Now you've got a Lugar Pistol and all he's got is a pitchfork. It couldn't be easier,,
    Now I'm thinking the pistol against the pitchfork,, :D That'll do for me. :D:D Easy peasy...
    escape_pitchfork.jpg

No contest. :D:D:D

escape_burial.jpg

:confused: ''Did no one tell the other guy.?????

Aitch,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its rather nice someone a bit different and interesting has com e on here. Makes a chance from all the usual dullards. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    what gets me people say British TV is the best in the world and they only have sky!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't have Sky but my daughter does and I always try to find the old shows of great tv and good comedies and drama.
    I suppose I was spoiled by good tv in the past and not have to put up with the crap that is tv today.

Aitch,

The Protectors....
    harry1.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello ToneX1R,

Indeed we did go out live on CBTV,(82/83/84)
    There are some video clips at the end of my web page.
    Jim and Steve are still treading the boards somewhere around the country but I haven't seen Paul for years.

I believe they are currently in a travelling production of "Whose Line Is It Anyway" as they played at The Broadway Theatre in my local Peterborough recently. I used to love CB:TV and I think I remember you in it. I have a vague recollection that later on they did the plot that the station shut down and they were in some sort of cellar - were you part of that era of the series? I seem to remember some sort of security guard type character.

I am also a huge Doctor Who and Star Wars fan (amongst other things you appeared in). There's been a lot of things said in documentarys about a lot of the UK crew on the Star Wars shoot thinking they were involved in a flop. What was your impression when you were working on it?
  • Options
    Huch'netHuch'net Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    In 1996, you say you've done a few episodes on your favourite soap - EastEnders. Just wondered what do you think of EastEnders now? Any idea what it's missing at the moment?
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aitch,

Your website makes for fascinating reading - all too often we hear about the lives of big stars and directors etc. but we tend to forget the people who are cast in smaller supporting roles.

If you have the time and the inclination, an autobiography would make a cracking read.

May I just ask a (possibly quite difficult) question?

Of the feature films you appeared in, who was your favourite director? For my money, I'd say Ken Russell, since I'm a big fan, and he's one of (sadly) very few British film directors who are truly visionary and who have not been afraid to really push the boundaries of British cinema (who can forget the nude wrestling scene in "Women In Love" or the orgy scene in "The Devils"?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi 'Aitch'....

I can see that you're recieving & enjoying all of the attention here, which is duely deserved.. :cool:

It's a busy place The Digital Spy Forum, my first time ever here.. And i'll be back..!

But i've got my own site to run, which maybe of interest to one or two people on here..?

filmtvextra.com

It's a "TOTALLY FREE RESOURCE for anyone wishing to become a TV Film Extra in the Uk & Ireland"

Listing over 180 Agents and contact details, casting agents, castings etc..

Back to 'Aitch' he's very modest really, he classes himself as a Supporting Artiste but really he made it into the Acting Profession. :rolleyes:

And 'Aitch' I met Peter Davidson the other day, a former Dr. Who a really nice person, when working on Distant Shores II, there was a guy who travelled nearly 100 miles on the bus to get his autograph, the first time that i've ever encountered that.

But such is the dedication of Dr Who fan's...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi folks,
    Crowby1
    CBTV was a fun show to work on and we went out live..
    24December20025.jpg
    Someone said ''Take that long slimy thing out of the studio and take the snake as well'' :confused:
    See year 1977 for Star Wars tale..

Huch'net..
    What do I think is missing from EasrEnders today?? ME :D

Eraserhead...
    Autobiography ? One day I'll find a GOOD writer and we'll work on it.
    Fav Directors?? There are too many to name but the one I'm most proud of working with is......

Mr Alfred Hitchcock. ;)

Hello Alan from Film Extra, Nice to see you on here and I've had good reports about you finding people work..Well done.

Aitch,
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow you were on Space 1999, that is so cool!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Just had a quick read through some of your site (it's bookmarked so i can get back to it when I've more time) and am really enjoying the anecdotes and have now bored/annoyed my wife with too may "look what else this guy's been in!" comments. Are you going to publish your memoirs? Also think it would be interesting to get your views on Ricky Gervais' latest project once it airs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Secrets,
    We filmed Space 1999 on the same stages that we did The Persuaders on a couple of years earlier,

''DON'T DRINK WHEN DRIVING..(SPACE SHIPS) :D:D:D
    sptis118.jpg

Kaptain Krunch..
    I did send off to Ricky Gervais' but never got an answer back (some you win, some you lose ;) )

Aitch,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see Alan from FilmExtras (See address above) is looking for 300 people to work as extras soon in Liverpool,
    Anyone near there give him a shout,

Aitch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    Excellent site, Aitch! I've enjoyed reading through your anecdotes and I'll start keeping an eye out for you in future. My 11 year old son and 7 year old daughter have just discovered Fawlty Towers and the DVD is never out of the player. Guess which is their favourite episode - yes, "The Kipper and the Corpse"! I'll watch out for you the next time it's on (probably within the next 24 hours!) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Stuart62,
    Tell the kids to watch out for the man on the left of frame, ;)

FawltyTowers.jpg

Aitch,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is there anyone old enough to remember this series from 1969..(One of the best shows I worked on ;) )
    28November2002.jpg

Aitch,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    Is there anyone old enough to remember this series from 1969..(One of the best shows I worked on ;) )
    28November2002.jpg

Aitch,

Absolutely! I've got all the episodes on DVD and it was one of my favourite series at the time. Which episode was that from?

What's your stand on the opening title sequence debate? I prefer the 'original' one ("Only you, Geoff, only you!") The other one always seemed a bit like an American soap to me.

I saw Kenneth Cope on something recently and hardly recognised him - still, I suppose it's a long time since he made that series. Also, didn't he wear a wig as Marty or was that just a rumour.

Sad (and ironic) that Mike Pratt is dead. I bet he was spinning in his grave at the abysmal Reeves and Mortimer remake!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello Stu,
    I was Mike's stand/in/double for a year on that show and the photo was taken off set.
    I haven't seen Ken for many years but I wish him well.
    There is a link at the end of the ''Contents'' page of my web site that tells all about the show and plenty of photos.
    Thanks for the interest.
    27December200227.jpg

Aitch,
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Aitch ...

You worked with Hitchcock?!?!?!?! WOW! He's my hero! Even more than Dr Who is my hero! I suppose it was Frenzy you worked on, or am I wrong? It's my favourite Hitchcock film! Tell me more!!

chuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello Chuf..
    There's a whole page of Frenzy and Mr H. on year 1972 on my web page..It is stuck fast in my memory..

Aitch. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    'Aitch'

You seem to be creating another "Frenzy" on here. ! :cool: