• AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Link?

Then we can all read it.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Tulip19 wrote: »

Can we have a link that works - that we we can make a sensible and hopefully educated comment
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with using psychology to try to reinforce good behaviour - but people aren't stupid and don't like to feel as though they are being manipulated for cynical reasons particularly by politicans who are seen as low-trust.

If people start to feel as though they are being manipulated they may start to do the opposite of what is being nudged.

Personally this is the impact that the nudge on giving has had on me - it makes me want to give less if I think I'm being encouraged to do so by a government simply to fufill their ideological political objectives which I don't share. So they need to be careful.

Also - I'm not sure that we can afford to employ seven behavioural experts to do this work - surely the government can get this advice for nothing from Universities with behavioural science departments.
  • spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour have changed pschology massively over the last 13 years, in 1996 people were less anti-smoking, more homophobic, less environmentaly conscious, less taboo about drink driving etc
  • HippysteHippyste Posts: 1,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this mean Cameron is bringing in thought crime?
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hippyste wrote: »
    Does this mean Cameron is bringing in thought crime?

Of course he isn't! If you think the right way, you're not committing any crime!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I see that the "nudge unit" will be targetting tax aviodance, I look forward to the encouragement given to those friends of the Tories Lord Ashcroft and Sir Philip Green to part with some more money.

After all we are all in this together.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that the "nudge unit" will be targetting tax aviodance, I look forward to the encouragement given to those friends of the Tories Lord Ashcroft

Ashcroft has stopped being a non-dom, as has Labour's equivalent, Lord Paul.

and Sir Philip Green to part with some more money.

You may want to ask Mrs. Green instead, as she owns the Arcadia Group. I don't know how you're going to get someone who doesn't live here to pay UK taxes though.

Hopefully they can also ask Labour's rich friends, too.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that the "nudge unit" will be targetting tax aviodance, I look forward to the encouragement given to those friends of the Tories Lord Ashcroft and Sir Philip Green to part with some more money.

After all we are all in this together.

Quite so. Perhaps all these people who are so forthright with their opinions on 'necessary austerity' should practice what they preach.

Oh 1789...
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour have changed pschology massively over the last 13 years, in 1996 people were less anti-smoking, more homophobic, less environmentaly conscious, less taboo about drink driving etc

This has been done through regulation and legislation not through psychology - all of the examples you give have been subject to changes in the law.