Who are your club's top 3 players of the year?

Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
Forum Member
✭✭
As it says on the tin, really. Your top 3, this season. Feel free to add reasons, and/or young players of the year.

Manchester United:

1. Michael Carrick.

Has moved on to another level, this year. Dictates play, massively underrated, in terms of breaking up opposition attacks, and his passing is wonderful.

2. Robin van Persie.

He adjusted to a new side, immediately. His goals have been varied, and crucial. His link-up play has also been a huge bonus, for us.

3. Nemanja Vidic.

Stop-start season, to some degree, but when he's fit, there is no-one better. A colossus of a defender, and has been crucial, as the goals have dried up.

Young players:

1. Rafael Da Silva.

Is now crucial to our backline, and has added defensive nous, to great attacking play.

2. David de Gea.

Is turning out to be the 'keeper that we hoped that he would be. Has had to deal with a world of stick, but just keeps getting better.

3. Tom Cleverley.

As with Carrick, I think that this lad is very underrated. His energy, and link-up play with the forwards is excellent.

Comments

• alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Leighton Baines
    Complete consistency from start to finish and explosive moments.

2. Marouane Felliani
    Simply a dominant midfield presence, when he is at his best we can be almost unstoppable.

3. Kevin Mirallas
    Has offered a vibrant attacking dimension. Easy to see why other top sides were looking at him. May have been even more impact but for injuries.

Most improved player

Victor Anichebe. Starting to make an impact more centrally and a viable striking proposition with pace and power and improved finishing.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utd

Rafael
    Van Persie
    De Gea

and Carrick on the subs bench.:cool:
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Leighton Baines

2. Marouane Felliani
    Simply a dominant midfield presence, when he is at his best we can be almost unstoppable.

3. Kevin Mirallas
    Has offered a vibrant attacking dimension. Easy to see why other top sides were looking at him. May have been even more impact but for injuries.

Most improved player

Victor Anichebe. Starting to make an impact more centrally and a viable striking proposition with pace and power and improved finishing.

Good shout, regarding Mirallas, Alan. He looks quality, from the little that I've seen.

Anichebe seems to have been around forever!
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is strange how Carrick can be our player of the year, yet not really get a look in for the national side, when he is clearly by far the best English midfielder in the country.

Anyway for me:-

1) Carrick

2) RVP

3) Rio

I chose Carrick as number one, as he has just cemented his place as the best player of his type in the country.

Second place goes to RVP, our top goalscorer, and the best striker in the league.

Third place goes to Rio, because he has shown his class when it has been needed, and it has been needed quite often this season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is strange how Carrick can be our player of the year, yet not really get a look in for the national side, when he is clearly by far the best English midfielder in the country.

Anyway for me:-

1) Carrick

2) RVP

3) Rio

I chose Carrick as number one, as he has just cemented his place as the best player of his type in the country.

Second place goes to RVP, our top goalscorer, and the best striker in the league.

Third place goes to Rio, because he has shown his class when it has been needed, and it has been needed quite often this season.

Yeah, Ferdinand vs. Vidic was a tricky one, but Vidic looks back to his imperious best.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    1) Luis Suarez - A very easy choice. He's carried us through some games and when he hasn't played well, we generally haven't won. Wonderful skill, technique and work rate along with much improved finishing. Must also now hold the record for most nutmegs in a season. :p

2) Steven Gerrard - Captain Fantastic. Not as able to win games single-handedly like he used to, but still has a big influence from a deeper midfield role with his vision and range of passing. 10 goals and 10 assists in the EPL is an impressive return.

3) Jose Enrique - I'm sure many of my fellow supporters will disagree on this one, and it was the toughest choice, but I've admired this guy's attitude this season. Gives his all in every game (not something we can say about many in the team this season) and has contributed more going forward with goals and assists.

Most improved player - Jordan Henderson - Was going to put him 3rd but, through no fault of his own, he hasn't started enough games. Last season he hardly ever seemed to play a forward pass, but his confidence seems to be growing and his recent performances have impressed me. Possesses a great engine and is capable of some high quality link-up play.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafael
    RVP
    Vida
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    1) Carrick
    2) De Gea
    3) Rafael

I'm tempted to put De Gea at one, but it's tough to argue about Carrick being there. Van Persie just misses out, but people go on and on about how many points he's won us, but I've argued quite a bit this season that De Gea has probably won us as many, if not more. Kept us in the first game against Chelsea in the FA Cup too as well as the outstanding game he had in Madrid, his key saves kept us in cups. Inside the league he did exactly the same, most importantly against the big clubs and won us crucial points. Rafael is Rafael, best RB in the league IMO, fantastic going forward and massive improvements defensively.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Same as JMTD!
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juan Mata. He was good last season, but he has really raised his game to a different level this season. Outstanding.

Petr Cech. There were a few doubters creeping in, and perhaps his game has declined a bit. But he still remains one of the best keepers in the world..in my opinion.

Eden Hazard. He hasn't been 100% consistent, but when he is on top of his game he's a joy to watch. It's just been great to see that it wasn't all hype, he really is a bit special.

Special mention for Oscar. He cost £25m, so he was hardly a "find". But he is still one of the most exciting young talents I've seen for a long, long time. And it's only his first season playing in Europe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Cristiano Ronaldo - another amazing season for him, scored countless goals.
    2. Raphael Varane - brilliant debut season for him.
    3. Mesut Ozil - raised his game again from last season, our most creative player.

If I can post a worst player it would be 100% Modric.
  • Leo91Leo91 Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Juan Mata. He was good last season, but he has really raised his game to a different level this season. Outstanding.

Petr Cech. There were a few doubters creeping in, and perhaps his game has declined a bit. But he still remains one of the best keepers in the world..in my opinion.

Eden Hazard. He hasn't been 100% consistent, but when he is on top of his game he's a joy to watch. It's just been great to see that it wasn't all hype, he really is a bit special.

Special mention for Oscar. He cost £25m, so he was hardly a "find". But he is still one of the most exciting young talents I've seen for a long, long time. And it's only his first season playing in Europe.

Agree with the top 2, would probably put David Luiz as my 3rd choice for his consistency in defence.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Utd

Rafael
    Van Persie
    De Gea

and Carrick on the subs bench.:cool:

This this this
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    Juan Mata.

Petr Cech.

Eden Hazard.

I'd go with those too. :)
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    Carrick
    RVP
    Rafael

with a very honourable mention to De Gea who could quite easily be in the top 3.

Carrick has dominated our midfield and i cant actually remember him having a bad game.

RVP's goals earlier in the season are there for all to see

Rafael just continually gets better. His defending has improved massively, (although with the occasional error youll always get from a young player), and his attacking play has put most of our wingers to shame

De Gea has been a fantastic shot stopper again as he was last season but has also improved hugely in dominating his area and handling crosses
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Juan Mata

Absolutely world class.

Eden Hazard

A tough move to a top club in a very tough physical league. I cannot wait to see him play next season. Undoubtedly has the potential to be one of the very best.

Oscar

I didnt know much about this signing, and on first sight i thought he would not cope with the prem. I'm happy to say he is robust, tracks and tackles back - and is fantastic with the ball.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carl Baker - not hugely consistent, but scored something like 15 from midfield

Leon Clarke - second top scorer in League One, joined us and carried on his form before getting injured. He filled the boots of

David McGoldrick - Nabbed him on loan, went on a purple patch of goalscoring I've only seen rarely here, then joined a Championship club as expected when his deal here expired

Honorable mention to Joe Murphy, who's been reliable between the sticks and has also shocked me as I thought I'd struggle to name more than one player.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Watford

Vydra - Been Fantastic, lots of goals and always puts 100% effort in
    Abdi - Has also been outstanding since joining on loan.

3rd was a tough choice - It's between Foresteri/Almunia or Doyley.

Worst player, It would have to be Matthew Briggs. Are there any Fulham fans here who can tell a different story off him? I've seen him in a few games and he has been absolutely shocking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    1. Leighton Baines

2. Marouane Felliani

3. Kevin Mirallas

Most improved player

I love the Belgians! I'm seriously considering changing my nationality to Belgian! :D

Agree with all these, hopefully we get into Europe some way and the Fellaini-Chelsea thing doesn't come back again. :rolleyes:
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool:

Suarez
    Henderson
    Gerrard or Enrique (cant really decide between them)

Hendo will be a controvercial pick ahead of SG but I think he's been immense this season especially after the criticism he had last season.
  • SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liveprool;

Luis Suarez, quality, commitment and passion. The finest striker I've seen in my life-time play for our club. Worth the ticket price alone.

Gerrard, captain, hasn't missed a minute of a league game at nearly 33 years of age. 2nd in the assist table in the league.

Philippe Coutinho, 20 year old kid from Rio de Janeiro. Only played for us since January but he already makes my top three. Averages a goal or an assist each time he plays. 5ft7 looks light but is the opposite; strong shot, skills, pace, not afraid of a tackle the most excited I've ever been about a player.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    1 - Michael Carrick
    Absolutely outstanding yet again and getting the minimum of credit for it. The guy has been virtually the first name on our team sheet from the day he signed, how England hasnt been built round him is bizarre in the extreme.

2 - RVP
    Goals have dried up a bit of late but his contribution cant be underestimated. Not just his performances but the entire lift the signing gave the club before he had even kicked a ball. When City and Chelsea have been splashing the cash we showed we could still compete with them by bringing in Arsenals best layer who seemed to genuinely want to play for us.

3 -Nemanja Vidic
    Its no coincidence that us going from having to score 3s and 4s in order to have a hope of winning the game to keeping clean sheets has coincided with his return to form. Its also no coincidence that our keeper is suddenly seeming far more assured as well. World class.

Honourable mentions to Rafael - most improved player by a mile and one of the best RBs in the country now for me and DDG who is now keeping clean sheets for fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Rickie Lambert - Top English goalscorer and many doubted whether he could do it at the top flight. Well he proved everyone wrong and more. Fantastic player who has everything but pace, great vision, hold up play, strength, shooting ability. Just a top player and he more than deserves a call up for next months friendlies.

2. Morgan Schneiderlin - Probably an unusual choice for number 2 to Saints fans reading this. But he is a player who I don't think has had a bad game for Saints this season yet. A strong midfielder who has really surprised me this season as I never considered him one of our greatest players before this. He can attack and defend well and has just been an all round great asset for the Saints.

3. Luke Shaw - At 17 he has become one of those players where I slightly worry when I see he isn't in the team. Great ball control and speed and also very relaxed for a young player. Gives strikers a torrid time as well as the opposing teams defense. I just hope he sticks with us.

Other mentions to Jay Rodriguez (who has really come in to his own recently and is playing stunning football but his earlier performances weren't great), Jason Puncheon (amazing early performances but hasn't been to great IMO recently, Nathaniel Clyne - (Constantly delivers game after game and always solid. He links up well with Puncheon and isn't afraid to use his speed to get involved in the attacking play. Another young player who I hope sticks with us) and Jack Cork (another unsung hero for the Saints and another great midfield presence). And obviously Adam Lallana who is a great loyal player but unfortunately injury problems this season kept him from the list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Other mentions to Jay Rodriguez (who has really come in to his own recently and is playing stunning football but his earlier performances weren't great), Jason Puncheon (amazing early performances but hasn't been to great IMO recently, Nathaniel Clyne - (Constantly delivers game after game and always solid. He links up well with Puncheon and isn't afraid to use his speed to get involved in the attacking play. Another young player who I hope sticks with us) and Jack Cork (another unsung hero for the Saints and another great midfield presence). And obviously Adam Lallana who is a great loyal player but unfortunately injury problems this season kept him from the list.

He's just signed a new contract, hasn't he? If so, good for Southampton, I rate him.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's just signed a new contract, hasn't he? If so, good for Southampton, I rate him.

Yeah a new five year deal.

The future looks good for Southampton from what I can see.