Official Snooker Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• jaanfxjaanfx Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    If he's world champ he'd be seeded second and in the Masters.

That is not true. According to the new format, if Ronnie wins the Worlds, he will be number 1 seed for only the Worlds next year.

But then again he will be up to 17 in rankings after the Worlds so will need to win one tournament or do well in a couple to break back into the 16.
  • ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    Michaela is like a bull dog chewing a wasp at times. So she has to stamp her authority, but the grim face all the time, lack of humour and school mam approach sometimes winds the players up.

It winds me up too! In the Poomtang match he had the audience laughing and she was almost rolling her eyes and looking up at the ceiling, she did it in another match as well and then told the audience to settle down.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    the BBC did have female snooker comentator back in the day her name was vera selby
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member
    It is like psycho-analysing Ronnie over this past week.

He is a facinating chractacter, bordering on tragedy at times.

It is like people who are ultra intelligent, there is always a fine line between genius and mental breakdown. Ronnie is a genius on the snooker table a lot of the time, but the mental capacity isn't always there to counteract the times when his genius sometimes fails him and he is on the brink.

As much as we would all like to have his talent, how many of us would want to deal with his demons?
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tense stuff tonight, neither were at their best, lots of misses - that miss on the final blue by Judd early on was shocking ! Looked dangerous for him at 13-8 but he responded well and i thought Ronnie had completely lost it - but luckily he found it again in the last frame - 14-10 is a very healthy lead, if Ronnie doesn't seal the deal tomorrow he doesnt deserve to be in the final thats for sure!
    Forum Member
    I take it you're not a fan of Madame Tabb Stunty? :D:D

When she warned Ronnie for God knows what he should have kindly asked her to worry about her own end and not pick the white ball up and place it on the pink spot! :);)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8au4lJycEg

What a palava she caused. She has done something similar to that in the past.

Totally humourless, and no I don't like her style. It is not as if she is refereeing a combat or contact sport, it's a game of blinking snooker. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take it you're not a fan of Madame Tabb Stunty? :D:D

When she warned Ronnie for God knows what he should have kindly asked her to worry about her own end and not pick the white ball up and place it on the pink spot! :);)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8au4lJycEg

Ah thanks for this, i hadnt seen it before. Bit of a clanger that, whatever was she thinking - or not thinking as the case maybe ! ?
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaanfx wrote: »
    That is not true. According to the new format, if Ronnie wins the Worlds, he will be number 1 seed for only the Worlds next year.

But then again he will be up to 17 in rankings after the Worlds so will need to win one tournament or do well in a couple to break back into the 16.
    Ok, cheers :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaanfx wrote: »

As far as i know the Masters is only for the top 16, regardless whether the reigning World Champ is in it or not?
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parts of tonight's session were a bit turgid like wading through quicksand to try to get to the land! Even if Ronnie O'Sullivan wins a fifth WC title I still don't think he's as good or as consistent as Hendry was in his absolute prime. Trump, sadly, is underperforming a bit so it's hard to imagine him winning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    As far as i know the Masters is only for the top 16, regardless whether the reigning World Champ is in it or not?

The world champ was always seeded second, trying to think back, sure Murphy was in 2006....can't quite recall if he was elevated to top 16 by then. But it seems it's changed :)
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Parts of tonight's session were a bit turgid like wading through quicksand to try to get to the land! Even if Ronnie O'Sullivan wins a fifth WC title I still don't think he's as good or as consistent as Hendry was in his absolute prime. Trump, sadly, is underperforming a bit so it's hard to imagine him winning.

As good as he was (possibly best ever) I still reckon he played in a weaker era than when Ronnie, Higgins and Williams were playing late 90's, early 2000's. Most had lost to him before they had taken there first shot

He had a fading Davis, bottle job in White and very young still raw O'Sullivan who were his main rivals.
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »

Hendry was just relentless, ruthless and methodical in his play, magnificent player. He got a chance and he invariably cleared the table.

You cannot quite say the same about Ronnie, but some of the shots he plays and the accuracy of controlling the cue ball is stunning. When his snooker flows it is beautiful to watch .... not quite flowing in this match though.

Hendry was class, so was the Nugget. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem with snooker is most (all?) players can't seem to make more than, say, I dunno, four centuries or slightly lower breaks in a row. What I mean is it seems the amount of concentration to play perfect or near perfect snooker can last, say, about four frames (roughly an hour's play, perhaps) and then the mind shuts down a bit and the players miss quite a few balls. Hendry did make seven centuries in ten frame - the greatest ever performance in a snooker match - but that was sort of a fluke when Hendry was at his insane best. I doubt any other player will ever make seven centuries in another best of 19 frame match.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine having the natural talent of O'Sullivan and the dedication and work ethic of Tiger Woods.

Pretty much the perfect sportsman :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Imagine having the natural talent of O'Sullivan and the dedication and work ethic of Tiger Woods."

The greatest ever performance in snooker wasn't by O'Sullivan, it was by Hendry:

"In the 1994 UK final, Hendry defeated Ken Doherty 10–5, making 7 centuries in the match."

Based on those stats, that is the best performance - potting-wise over a match - by any player in the history of the sport. Ronnie O'Sullivan, even playing his best ever snooker, would concede that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The world champ was always seeded second, trying to think back, sure Murphy was in 2006....can't quite recall if he was elevated to top 16 by then. But it seems it's changed :)

Oh i never realised that? Bit of a bummer for the number 16 then if the World Champ was out of the 16 - mind i dont know if that has ever happened - as you say Murphy is the only possibility but i cant remember:confused:
  • Leo91Leo91 Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Higgins 9 - 2 O'Sullivan in the 2005 Grand Prix final wasn't too bad either..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh i never realised that? Bit of a bummer for the number 16 then if the World Champ was out of the 16 - mind i dont know if that has ever happened - as you say Murphy is the only possibility but i cant remember:confused:
    Yes, Ian McCulloch was the unlucky fellow...they accommodated him via a wild card round, which he came through, only to be whitewashed by a certain......Ronnie O'Sullivan!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Masters_(snooker)
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    zawtowers wrote: »
    Looks like some of the Steve Davis trick shot exhibition from Wednesday night (which I saw live) - is now online - it was really great stuff. A real shame that it wasn't on red button but it was a pleasure to be there.

Spot Jon the Belgian kid knocking a shedload of reds in too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHG1R-ouNsY

What you don't see there though is something Steve chatted about later on, where he explained that in between BBC bits at the Winter Gardens, he and John Parrott think up new little intros for Rob Walker to say to get the players on, such as:

"He hasn't got a clue - he's Marco Fu!"
    "He ain't all that - he's Dechawat"

(etc)

Shame that bit isn't online yet as it was very very funny. Steve = legend.

Only just noticed this bit in the thread :D Sounds very funny, ha ha :):D
  • MeoquiMeoqui Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine having the natural talent of O'Sullivan and the dedication and work ethic of Tiger Woods.

Pretty much the perfect sportsman :cool:
    We already had him - He's called Stephen Hendry.

Even Ronnie himself will shake his head when the MC says "best player to pick up a cue..rocket etc"

Don't get me wrong, Ronnie when he's playing well is astounding. But Hendry took astounding along with consistency to a new level during his prime.
  • Fieldmouse83Fieldmouse83 Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah thanks for this, i hadnt seen it before. Bit of a clanger that, whatever was she thinking - or not thinking as the case maybe ! ?

She was day dreaming over young Michael White so much is why she picked up the 'white' instead of the black :D
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seen any snooker this afternoon or evening but reading the comments on here instead.

I'm guessing the Walden V Hawkins match was woeful with breaks of 10 or 11 and the Ronnie v Judd game was full of class high centuries. Well that's how it reads

Seriously people cut Waldo and Bazza some slack. Biggest game of their lives and getting no respect at all. They've done well and Waldo in particular has scored highly. Whichever makes the final they've done exceptionally well and stand a chance
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seen any snooker this afternoon or evening but reading the comments on here instead.

I'm guessing the Walden V Hawkins match was woeful with breaks of 10 or 11 and the Ronnie v Judd game was full of class high centuries. Well that's how it reads

Seriously people cut Waldo and Bazza some slack. Biggest game of their lives and getting no respect at all. They've done well and Waldo in particular has scored highly. Whichever makes the final they've done exceptionally well and stand a chance

We get it your a 'proper' snooker fan and anyone who claims Ronnie or Judd would be huge favourites in the final is clueless and only watches snooker once a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hendry as well as been hugely talented, he had the dedication, desire, will power to become a awesome winning machine but for pure unadulterated natural talent is Ronnie all day long for me. I doubt Hendry would claim to have more talent than O'Sullivan. To play like he can with his wrong hand in pressure situations is frightening

The 5 minute 20 sec max is possiblly the greatest single sporting achievement ever imo
This discussion has been closed.